Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive games?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I was playing Sonic 2 and got all chaos emeralds, and every time I was close to 50 rings I'd lose them so as not to go Super Sonic. same thing with Sonic and Knuckles (but at least in that game, every single jump after getting 50 rings doesn't automatically turn your to super sonic).

When I was a kid and first got all 7 chaos emeralds I was ecstatic to see the "now sonic can become super sonic" message (didn't understand English at the time so I didn't couldn't read the manual to read about super sonic).

But now that I've played the game so many times over the years, I find super sonic takes out the challenge of and fun of the game. It makes the games feel like modern 2D sonic games. Pointless running.

Also being Super Sonic during the boss fights totally ruins the game for me. Specially the coolest boss fight in the games, the lava reef boss, becomes a joke if you are Super Sonic or have the flame shield.

Anyone else feel the same?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive games?

Post by Pulsar_t »

I only got the emeralds to get the 'better' ending. No use using Super Sonic if you're aiming for a highscore (which I never did :lol:). For some odd reason the last emerald in S&K always proved beyond my reach, so I never got the 'ultimate' ending afaict.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

In Sonic 2 I only strategically avoid it if I think I'll run out of rings at a bad time. In Sonic 3 I avoid it more often because they ruined the supersonic music and made it sickeningly repetitive.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Pulsar_t wrote:. For some odd reason the last emerald in S&K always proved beyond my reach, so I never got the 'ultimate' ending afaict.

Really? I always found the Sonic 3 special stages harder than the S&K. Does that mean you haven't seen the Doomsday zone?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Yeah, I avoided it.. that's the ticket!

Seriously though, I just never bothered collecting all the emeralds. The levels are the same whether you get the emeralds or not, so what does it matter?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Hatta wrote:Yeah, I avoided it.. that's the ticket!

Seriously though, I just never bothered collecting all the emeralds. The levels are the same whether you get the emeralds or not, so what does it matter?

Yeah, S&K was really the only 16-bit title that made collecting them worth a damn(can't remember if Sonic3D did too). The Sonic Adventure games fortunately followed suit
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

ZeroAX wrote:
Pulsar_t wrote:. For some odd reason the last emerald in S&K always proved beyond my reach, so I never got the 'ultimate' ending afaict.

Really? I always found the Sonic 3 special stages harder than the S&K. Does that mean you haven't seen the Doomsday zone?

No actually I always got it playing as Sonic (First were the fingers, belly and then the space chase amirite?). How could he turn super without all the emeralds? :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Pulsar_t wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:

No actually I always got it playing as Sonic (First were the fingers, belly and then the space chase amirite?). How could he turn super without all the emeralds? :lol:

:shock:

Wait, you didn't need all the emeralds to get that stage?! Son of a.....
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Gamerforlife wrote: :shock:

Wait, you didn't need all the emeralds to get that stage?! Son of a.....

I'm pretty sure you need all 7 for that stage. Perhaps he's talking about the super emeralds that you get when you combine sonic 3 & knuckles
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Depends, I usually avoid it. Also, you only need 7 emeralds, and no super emeralds to get to Doomsday, but you don't get the best ending if I remember right.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.