Panic Restaurant NES review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Pat the NES Punk
8-bit

Panic Restaurant NES review

Post by Pat the NES Punk »

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/community/blog/22227
or
http://blip.tv/file/3655521/

Mutant Carrots!
Deadly Shish Kebobs!
French Fry Machine Gunners!

As Pat reviews this 1992 Taito action game, he comes to a crossroads... is this the end?

-----------------------------------------

On a more personal note:

The Panic Restaurant review was bittersweet both to shoot and finally edit some 10 months later after it was filmed. It represented the culmination not only of a story arc (the Allison relationship), but also my moving out of NJ. It was both a fun and poignant film to me, and it probably is my favorite overall that I've done. There's a little bit for everyone to enjoy: comedy, drama, a good game being reviewed, and a little smooching. What else could you want?

It took so long for me to get around to edit, since when I moved I obviously had a lot going on. I had a couple other videos to edit first, and produced a whole new slew videos after I moved. It took awhile to get around to it schedule-wise, but it also could have been a subconscious decision I was making to prolong editing it as long as I possibly could. Since the video really represents the end of one chapter of my life and the beginning of new one, something inside me maybe didn't want to face it again, as the finality of the stressful and life-changing decision would be relived again on screen through the video. Maybe that's B.S., or maybe it's true... I'll figure it out. Either way, the video turned out well, and as long as its entertaining, who cares what it means to me, right?

I want to especially thank Allison for putting up with my shenanigans both on screen and off; she's a good friend and sweet person. Check out her art, music, etc. at allisonwunderland.com.
Neither angry nor irate.

thepunkeffect.com
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Re: Panic Restaurant NES review

Post by swiftzx »

It should go here: viewforum.php?f=32
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Pat the NES Punk
8-bit

Woops! Sorry, maybe a mod could please move it? :p
Neither angry nor irate.

thepunkeffect.com
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

No! This is where I first seen your review, and indeed any of your videos.

I think it's a wonderful take on game reviewing to add an overarching believable story. Great work man. I have a reproduction of Panic Restaurant which features the Japanese main character (a young chef boy instead of the old man) but English script. Either way, Taito did excellent sprite work on the NES in its dying days.
Pat the NES Punk
8-bit

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:No! This is where I first seen your review, and indeed any of your videos.

I think it's a wonderful take on game reviewing to add an overarching believable story. Great work man. I have a reproduction of Panic Restaurant which features the Japanese main character (a young chef boy instead of the old man) but English script. Either way, Taito did excellent sprite work on the NES in its dying days.

Thanks Satoshi... since I come from a writing background, I like to incorporate story aspects into my reviews. To be honest, there would not be a creative challenge for me to just review games. I think it would bore me eventually. With a narrative I can also explore some story aspects I could never have otherwise. :)

Is the Japanese version the same as the NES game other than the main character sprite?
Neither angry nor irate.

thepunkeffect.com
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Yes, the Japanese version is identical except for the main character sprite. Same weapons stages enemies bosses etc. The Japanese character looks to be a kid about 10 or so. I guess Nintendo of America felt Taito should change him to be more "chef-like, which I suppose steriotypically makes him chef boyardee.
robbinhood

Post by robbinhood »

I will be looking forward in Panic Restaurant Nes to seeing some scences original and ground-breakingly creative that has never been done ever before in a video game review.I am actually impressed that you were able to make it through that one. The graphics of the is nice as well as game also.
Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble