So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by REPO Man »

Much of what they've touched on is stuff I've heard of before, such as Angelique Bates' time on All That and the shocking number of pedophiles on the set of these shows.

As someone who grew up with these shows, it makes me violently SICK that this shit went on.

But on the subject of '90s television, albeit in an infinitely less soul-crushing way, anyone watching X-Men '97? As someone who grew up with the X-Men animated series from the '90s, it's clearly a much greater experience so far. The folks behind this excellent follow-up to the BEST Marvel adaptation of all time CLEARLY understood the assignment.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Finished episode 2 of Blue Eye Samurai. What a fantastic show. It's a more mature animated series than I expected. In fact, I don't suggest watching this with kids in the room. The story surrounds xenophobia, bigotry, dealing with disability, revenge, sexism, and a little bit of eastern philosophy, history, and culture, in very smart and interesting ways. Plus, there is of course badass samurai fights (reminds me of Kill Bill). The second episode features one of the most stunning, fantastically choreographed, epic, and creative fights I've seen in an animated program NOT from Japan. The series is actually animated by a French Studio
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Anyone watched AHS: Delicate? Both in terms of aesthetic and atmosphere, I felt it was a great season.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Four episodes in now, and I think Blue Eye Samurai may be one of the best animated shows ever. Episode four is amazing

Again i have to stress that this is an animated show for mature adults, which is not something I come across very often.

I love the no nonsense, smart writing that avoids a lot of typical tropes and cliches. It's pretty neat watching an animated period piece show about a samurai in Japan that is not an anime. The characters are great and the writing is sharp. This is a smart show that is about more than just cool sword fights. Don't come into this thinking you're just getting an action show. It's more than that. Also, the animation is excellent. I dig the voice acting (it's all English though I think it has a Japanese dub) and the use of music too. One of the characters is voiced by George Takei. This is high quality stuff.

Seriously, any fan of animation or Japanese flavored shows needs to give Blue Eye Samurai a shot. This is a must watch show and reminds me of when high quality stuff like this used to make having a Netflix account mandatory

EDIT: Just finished episode 5, this show is goddamn amazing
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Recently scored the Queer as Folk: The Complete Series box set on DVD, which means I can watch this landmark LGBTQ+ series whenever I want (assuming I have the ability to play DVDs), but there's a few caveats. For one, this box set, both for its size and the fact that it's out-of-print, costs a pretty penny (around $150). Another issue is that the cases they use for the discs don't exactly hold the discs in place, and first thing I did when I got this was check each disc and some had come loose and/or had some slight scratches. But so far, after watching the first four episodes (1-3 on the first S1 disc, 4 on the second disc), I haven't noticed any real issue. Except for the fact that since they're DVDs from over 20 years ago, which means that they're at a resolution of 720x480 at best, which is less than a quarter of my 4K TV's resolution.

Other than that it's great. Previously I've only caught the odd edited-for-TV episode on Logo, which meant watching certain story arcs out of order, before eventually watching the entire series twice on Netflix. But the streaming and digital versions of the series changed many of the songs featured.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

The first two episodes of the Ncuti Gatwa era of Doctor Who are on Disney+, so I'm watching that.