Playing perfect DC copies

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
metaleggman
128-bit

Playing perfect DC copies

Post by metaleggman »

Since all this talk about Coder cables, I thought I might bring up these...
http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/cdr-2 ... -disc.html

Does anyone think they could play most of the ripped games at full quality? Just thought I might bring it up since everyone is getting so serious about all this stuff ;)
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Those are like the cheapest CD-Rs they sell, and they don't even have a brand on them. I'd avoid them at all costs. People can slap "High Quality" on anything they want. I suggest Taiyo Yuden brand.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Mozgus wrote:Those are like the cheapest CD-Rs they sell, and they don't even have a brand on them. I'd avoid them at all costs. People can slap "High Quality" on anything they want. I suggest Taiyo Yuden brand.
But that's not the point! :roll: They are 90 minute ones. I'm thinking they could play most games w/o being ripped.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

The DC GD-Rom held 1GB of information. So as long as the disc can hold that much, you could be able to play rips at perfect quality. That is, if the rips are not downsampled in any way. Most of the rips already out there that would've required a high-capacity disc have been downsampled by the original team.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

metaleggman wrote:
Mozgus wrote:Those are like the cheapest CD-Rs they sell, and they don't even have a brand on them. I'd avoid them at all costs. People can slap "High Quality" on anything they want. I suggest Taiyo Yuden brand.
But that's not the point! :roll: They are 90 minute ones. I'm thinking they could play most games w/o being ripped.

What are you after? This is pointless. Buying 800MB CD-Rs to burn ripped games which were made for 700MB CD-Rs? Or do you actually have the means, time, and motivation to start ripping your own backups from legit games, simply so you can downsample their content just a LITTLE less harshly than those older groups did for 700MB CD-Rs?

Because there can't be more than a dozen Dreamcast games out there that contained between 700-800MBs of raw content. Those games would be your only candidates for this endeavor.

And this is all assuming of course that your Dreamcast will even read those 800MB discs.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

jeez, I guess no one has made the connection yet. You, mozgus, are asking for a coder's cable to make perfect back-ups. I'm sure, considering some game lossless copies, like ikaruga i believe, don't even go near the size of a CD-R, why wouldn't most of the games fit in the 80 min range? And the only thing you have to worry about is the writer and not the reader. Pirates were able to use 99min discs to burn D2, so I don't see why some of the games, if not most, couldn't be played perfectly when you let them have an extra 100mb of space. It's like GCN games. Many games don't even pass the gigabyte mark.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

metaleggman wrote:jeez, I guess no one has made the connection yet. You, mozgus, are asking for a coder's cable to make perfect back-ups. I'm sure, considering some game lossless copies, like ikaruga i believe, don't even go near the size of a CD-R, why wouldn't most of the games fit in the 80 min range? And the only thing you have to worry about is the writer and not the reader. Pirates were able to use 99min discs to burn D2, so I don't see why some of the games, if not most, couldn't be played perfectly when you let them have an extra 100mb of space. It's like GCN games. Many games don't even pass the gigabyte mark.

You're not making any sense at this point. Let me try to clear up your own thread. You seem to have forgotten what you came here asking.

You presented us 800MB CD-Rs. Are you following me? 800MB. That's 100MB more than the mainstream 700MB discs we all buy, and all the pirated releases were made for.

Now you mention Ikaruga, a game which has an extremely simple structure with no FMVs or streamed music. It's a game that could fit on a Mini-CDR if need be. I have no idea why you're even mentioning Ikaruga in this thread.

Then you mention D2, a game which was released to the scene for the 99min CD-Rs. Well...released yes, but widely accepted? No. Most people couldn't get their burners to even work with 99min CD-Rs. The burning process usually failed midway, but this is besides the point. For some reason you mentioned a game which still does not work with your plan, because it won't fit on your 800MB CD-Rs. You following me? And last time I checked, no one has discovered a way to shrink that game down any further.

But you came in here with some kind of idea that every dreamcast game is 800MB or less, in it's native form, despite speaking of D2. Do you hear how crazy you sound right now? Most Dreamcast games, in their native form, consisted of either FAR LESS THAN 700MB of content (sans the dummy files, of course), or they consisted of MUCH GREATER THAN 700MB, because they wanted to make the most of the medium. There are not many games out there which could benefit from an 800MB CD-R.

So what the hell is your point?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Excuse the bluntness from Mozgus, but he has valid points.

Your only real solution would be...
a) get blank GD-ROMs and a GD-ROM burner
b) play perfect rips via Chankast or whatever decent emulator you have.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:Excuse the bluntness from Mozgus, but he has valid points.

Your only real solution would be...
a) get blank GD-ROMs and a GD-ROM burner
b) play perfect rips via Chankast or whatever decent emulator you have.

Lol, it's how I do things, man.

Someone's been telling me chankast actually won't take images larger than those made for 80min CD-Rs, but I am skeptical. He does rip his own games with a serial cable though, so he probably knows what he's talking about. I'd really love to test it.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Mozgus wrote:You presented us 800MB CD-Rs. Are you following me? 800MB. That's 100MB more than the mainstream 700MB discs we all buy, and all the pirated releases were made for.
nss. I've said that myself multiple times.

Now you mention Ikaruga, a game which has an extremely simple structure with no FMVs or streamed music. It's a game that could fit on a Mini-CDR if need be. I have no idea why you're even mentioning Ikaruga in this thread.
I'm mentioning it because it's a game which is small. I was saying that if there are small games like ikaruga, not exactly like Ikaruga (I know I need to make the distinction or else you will go flying of your rocker), but similar in that they don't use up all of the space, then there could be more games that could be lossless copies. Wouldn't you be happy if even a single game more could be played lossless after you do any self rips?

Then you mention D2, a game which was released to the scene for the 99min CD-Rs. Well...released yes, but widely accepted? No. Most people couldn't get their burners to even work with 99min CD-Rs. The burning process usually failed midway, but this is besides the point. For some reason you mentioned a game which still does not work with your plan, because it won't fit on your 800MB CD-Rs. You following me? And last time I checked, no one has discovered a way to shrink that game down any further.
number one, why does it matter if it was widely accepted? What does that have to do with anything? Number two, the burning process usually stops at the 70 minute mark as either the program used to burn an image doesn't allow for overburn OR the burner doesn't allow for overburn OR both. And I was taking this as an example that higher capacity games that could be played with bigger media. Meaning if you have extra space, there are more games to be played lossless.

But you came in here with some kind of idea that every dreamcast game is 800MB or less, in it's native form, despite speaking of D2.
Wow. You are really good at exagerating things, you know that? What I mean when I say this is that I don't know how you can rationally think all games either lie in the miniscule spectrum of Ikaruga or in the giant spectrum of full sized games.

Do you hear how crazy you sound right now? Most Dreamcast games, in their native form, consisted of either FAR LESS THAN 700MB of content (sans the dummy files, of course), or they consisted of MUCH GREATER THAN 700MB, because they wanted to make the most of the medium. There are not many games out there which could benefit from an 800MB CD-R.
And you know this how? How are you so sure that the original size of these games are how you say they are? If you take it down a notch and think rationally, there should be plenty of games that fit into the 700-800mb size when in lossless form. For example, take a look at Saturn games. There are all sorts of sizes. Some tiny, some large, and then some in between. Same goes for Playstation games. You also fail to realize that most of these games could be Japanese, considering they didn't always go crazy with FMVs and the like.

So what the hell is your point?
Well, my new point should be that you need to calm down. :roll:
But my original point, which no one, once again, has seemed to make the connection, is that once you get your coder's cable, since you want to make lossless copies of your games, that some games which may go over 700mb but are under 80mb will still be burnable for use on an actual DC. Hell, you may be able to find higher capacity discs so even more games could be played.

Get it now? :roll: