Discuss all hardware and software modifications
hailrazer
32-bit

Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by hailrazer Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:33 pm

*Edit* I can do this mod for $70 shipped to your door. You would be responsible for shipping the Nomad to me. For $70 I will do the mod and also install a new screen cover.

I am using a new lcd that does not say AV1 when it starts.

I can also do the Battery mod in the next post for $60 shipped to your door. I won't need your Nomad for that mod.

Youtube video added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCZ4oPixQwU

References for mods I have done:

Screen Mod :
Racketboy member jbltecnicspro.
I got everything, and I'm very happy. Nice work! You can't tell the mod was done! :D

Screen and Battery Mod :
Digitalpress member MetalFRO.
I had a chance to test it as well - thanks so much, I can't believe how clear that new screen is, and no residual blur!

The Retro League Host and BenHeck member nickerous:
Amazing difference in quality! The new screen makes it much easier to play the Nomad. Can't reccomend it enough. The battery mod allows the Nomad to be used as a true portable system. Who has the money for regular batteries to feed the unmodded Nomad? This solves that problem and allows me to cut the cord in regards to the wall adapter. Thanks again, Hailrazer!

Well I got tired of the crappy Nomad screen and rechargeable battery pack, so I modded my Nomad with a new 3.5" screen and a Lithium-Ion Batttery pack.

Here's how I did it :

First things first. Get rid of the old Lcd.
Open up the Nomad. You will need a security bit for the bottom/middle screw. After you open the Nomad , pull the circuit board up and you will see the Lcd. Pull it of and then pull of the lcd cable attached to the main board.

Now you just ruined your Nomad. Just kidding :)

Here is the new Lcd we will be using :
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20415
It is $50 shipped.

You can also find them on Ebay for around $35 shipped. Just be sure to get the same exact monitor. Other 3.5" on Ebay and from Dealextreme don't work with the Genesis and they are to thick to fit in the Nomad case.

When we take it apart it will look like this :

Now what you want to do is get out your hot glue gun and glue the new Lcd into place. Make sure you get it centered. be aware the Lcd hole on the Nomad is slightly slanted so the Lcd will be slightly slanted when mounted.

Now it's time to solder the wires necessary to power the screen and get video to it.
You will be soldering 4 wires. 2 grounds, power, and video. the 2 ground wires go to the same spot on the Lcd's board.

Here is where the wires will be soldered to the Nomad's board :

And some closeups :

After it is wired you will want to mount the Lcd's board on top of the Lcd. I put a small piece of paper between them to protect against shorts. You can then hot glue the 4 corners to hold it in place. :

You might also want to insulate the back of the board before putting the system back together to protect against any shorts from the system hitting the lcd board.

Now put the Nomad back together. Make sure the wires are crimped anywhere, or in the way of the buttons.

Plug it in and see the new Lcd in all it's glory.

Here's a pic of what the old screen looked like :
Last edited by hailrazer on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 13 times in total.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
hailrazer
32-bit

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by hailrazer Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:34 pm

So I had a rechargeable Nomad battery pack laying around. Which of course no longer works. :

Now unfortunately my puppy ate my 8gb memory stick so I lost a few pics.

First thing you need to do is open it up. You can use a credit card. Just slide it in between the two halves and they will pop apart.

Then you need to remove everything that is in it. It has 6 batteries , a protection circuit, and a charging jack. Leave the two power wires (green and orange). They will be attached to the new battery.

After everything is removed you will need to make room for the new battery by clipping off some of the plastic in just the bottom half.

It will now look like this :

The battery you will want to use is a Sony np-f550 2500 mA battery. You can get the battery and charger for around $15 shipped on Ebay :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111049154447?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D111049154447%26_rdc%3D1

Now I used a type M female power adapter for the charging jack. I got it out of a Retro-Duo I had laying around. You will have to file out the spot where the old charging jack was for the new one to fit.

You will need to solder the orange wire to the positive side of the battery. Then wire the positive side of the battery to the positive prong on the charging adapter jack.
Then wire the green wire to the negative side of the battery. Then wire the negative side of the battery to the negative prong on the charging adapter jack.

Then I used a type M male power adapter from Radio Shack. I opened the charger and soldered in the power wire and then wired it to the male adapter.

One advantage of this is that it will last around 5 1/2 hours with a stock Nomad. With a Nomad that ha a new screen like mine in it , it will last around 7 hours.

Plus it is a LOT lighter than with the stock Nomad battery pack.
Last edited by hailrazer on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
hailrazer
32-bit

by hailrazer Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:37 pm

What a frickin Newb mistake I meant to put this in the Hacks and Mods section.

Could I get it moved :)
My Portable Systems:
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:55 pm

hailrazer wrote:What a frickin Newb mistake I meant to put this in the Hacks and Mods section.

Could I get it moved :)

Done!

By the way that is some awesome work.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:55 pm

dude this is awesome, if I had a nomad I would do this in an instant.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm going to have to do this at some point. The difference in quality between the two screens in your pictures is amazing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Nice job on modding!! 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:41 pm

That's a nice Nomad!

It's good to see some really modding going on in this forum! Welcome to the forums Hailrazer, I've seen your work before, the handhelds you have built are truly inspiring.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

by Lokkenjawnz Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:50 pm

Hey man if you have the time, you could probably make a pretty penny doing this up for us Nomad owners wanting a bit of an upgrade! Great work!
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
hailrazer
32-bit

by hailrazer Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Lokkenjawnz wrote:Hey man if you have the time, you could probably make a pretty penny doing this up for us Nomad owners wanting a bit of an upgrade! Great work!

I would be happy to do this for anyone who wants it done. The problem is that it might be a bit expensive. It would costs around $65 shipped to your door. You would be responsible for shipping the Nomad to me.

But I'd be happy to do it if anyone wants me to.
Last edited by hailrazer on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Portable Systems:
Return to Hacks and Mods