The TRUTH about the PS3's backwards compatibility...

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
All Hail The New Flesh
64-bit

The TRUTH about the PS3's backwards compatibility...

Post by All Hail The New Flesh »

I found this video on youtube earlier today, what they did that they compare the graphics on the PS3's backwards compatibility. Also, I am not bashing the PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs
Indy_aka_Rex
24-bit

Post by Indy_aka_Rex »

Not really. There's been a lot of talk and a lot of confusion regarding the subject. Some say its the PS3, others say its the cables or the TV.

I've read plenty of people say their games look fine, while others say theirs dont.
durkada
64-bit

Post by durkada »

The showing of the PS3 rendering just looks like a PS2 on a flat screen or HDTV system.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=190
it's not the TV, it's the PS3. :?
At least xbox 360 compatability is consitent to what they say it is...
Indy_aka_Rex
24-bit

Post by Indy_aka_Rex »

metaleggman wrote:http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=190

Actually... no. It isn't.

Someone posted pictures on the 1up forums:

MGS3:

PS3

PS2

MGS3 does not run in Progressive Mode, regardless of the region - it is 480i only. So the argument that it's the PS3 is also questionable. Like I said before, there's been SEVERAL people all over the net posting about how their titles look fine on their PS3, while others post the complete opposite.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Indy_aka_Rex wrote:
metaleggman wrote:http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=190

Actually... no. It isn't.

Someone posted pictures on the 1up forums:

MGS3:

PS3

PS2

MGS3 does not run in Progressive Mode, regardless of the region - it is 480i only. So the argument that it's the PS3 is also questionable. Like I said before, there's been SEVERAL people all over the net posting about how their titles look fine on their PS3, while others post the complete opposite.

Dude, you need to READ the link I posted.
Now the big question that needs answering is how Sony missed this problem during testing. Well, one likely reason is that the issue is most noticeable on 40+ inch 1080p HDTVs. If smaller non-HDTV sets were used for testing game compatibility, it's possible the issue could be overlooked (and it also helps if those testing the games were familiar with what the games looked like on the PS2).

The pictures don't look to be from a large TV. If you list the actual thread and not just two photos, which btw, are on different photobucket accounts (quite suspicious if you ask me), maybe your post could be a little more credible. Also, one of the affected tested it on 6 different TVs. You can't tell me that it isn't the guys TV. :roll:
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

360 backwards compatability isn't all that great either anyway. A lot of games run worse than they do on the X-Box so I say take your pick. Somewhat mangled graphics or poor performance on most games?
Indy_aka_Rex
24-bit

Post by Indy_aka_Rex »

http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message? ... e.id=72299

Several people say otherwise. Even with mid-sized-to-large HDTVs. So yeah... the issue varies per-person.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I'm not going to debate whether the PS3's BC sucks or not. But I'll just say that when negative Sony news is involved, I always place my bet on True rather than False. History shows this is a safe bet.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Zork wrote:360 backwards compatability isn't all that great either anyway. A lot of games run worse than they do on the X-Box so I say take your pick. Somewhat mangled graphics or poor performance on most games?
But at least it's the same on all Xboxes. It's not bad on some and good on others. Then again, the fact that Sony is using original hardware and yet is still having problems is just sad. I mean, Microsoft is emulating the xbox on completely different architecture. With a couple hundred games working well, they have beaten all the PC xbox emulators, which are all way older than the 360's emulator. But considering how big MS is, it's just lazy to only have that many games...but at least the 360 uses it's extra horse power to do extra AA unlike Sony.