Microsoft Not Interested In Xbox 720.... For Now

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Microsoft Not Interested In Xbox 720.... For Now

Post by sevin0seven »

Microsoft doesn't seem to be at all concerned with a new Xbox system, if comments from Microsoft Game Studios head Phil Spencer are to be believed. He told Develop that the company is mainly focused on evolving the Xbox 360, not adding a new system:

"We effectively reinvented the Xbox
once already when we rewrote the dashboard. It's not about trying to sell consumers a new piece of hardware at the wrong time, it's about evolving the platform continuously. And we are going to find things, like Natal, that are hardware-related to also do that," said Spender.

"Do we need to sell a new console at some point? I don't think we need to right now," he added. "We'll wait until our experiences are at the right point, like we have done with the Natal camera. We'll wait until everyone is ready for it from a software perspective."

Spencer went as far as to say that Natal would start a new generation by itself and that consumers don't want another full-priced console.

"And in terms of putting more hardware on the market, what else can we do? Put more memory in it? I don't think that's enough," he says. "We like where we are at with the box – 360 currently has a great price point. Consumers don't want another $400 box right now."
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
h8b1llg8ts
128-bit

Re: Microsoft Not Interested In Xbox 720.... For Now

Post by h8b1llg8ts »

Agree but don't know if this is "Old-School Gaming News" worthy ...
http://www.youtube.com/h8b1llg8ts

Making Love To You Was Never Second Best ...

Current set up: Onlive, 32 GB Wii U , Star Wars Edition Xbox 360, 60GB PS3, soft modded Blue Wii, Mountain Dew Edition Xbox, Indigo Gamecube w/ Gameboy Player, Neo Geo CDZ, Neo Geo X Gold, Sega Sports Edition Dreamcast, Skeleton Saturn.
billberth
16-bit

Post by billberth »

it's all about software.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

Between the recession and the Wii's massive success with cheap, old technology, it just wouldn't be a good idea to put out an expensive, powerful console anytime soon.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

I still don't have money to buy a console from this generation, so I'm glad.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Although it has been 5 years since 360 launch, which I think is more than the lifetime of the original xbox, but I do not see the need for a new system.

People are still amazed by the graphics power of this generation, current hardware seems it has untapped potential. The idea of upgrading the system for better graphics is becoming old, because graphics now are too good already.

Finding new ways to use current systems for gaming is a better choice. Things like add-ons like Wii Fit , Natal, and Guitar Hero is what all the people are excited about.

Although 360 and ps3 got great game libraries I think what we need is legendary software. I am talking about stuff like FF7 on psx and 007 on N64. We haven't seen that kind of a game yet
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I agree that the days of console cycles lasting 4-5 yrs. on average will be much longer. It's about software and these consoles still have much potential that is still yet to be utilized. Also, as mentioned releasing a new console in this economic environment is not the right idea or time to do so.
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
samuraifez
8-bit

Post by samuraifez »

I'm definitely satisfied with a longer generation cycle. Hopefully the days of seeing a good machine killed off early, like the original Xbox, are over.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

kingmohd84 wrote:Although it has been 5 years since 360 launch, which I think is more than the lifetime of the original xbox, but I do not see the need for a new system.

It was launched in Nov 2005 in the US so it will be 4 years in a couple of months.
DCsegaDH
128-bit

Post by DCsegaDH »

Ive heard that Microsoft and Sony are not going to come out with a new system in a long time something like 8 years after the current systems. I like having the same system for a long time, systems are expensive except for retro ones.
Systems: Sega Dreamcast(x2), Sega Genesis(x2), Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Genmobile (portable Genesis), FC Twin, PSX, PS2(x2), GBA, SP, Xbox 360, N64, Showcase Arcade