Cleaning a SNES?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Cerulean
64-bit

Cleaning a SNES?

Post by Cerulean »

How would I go about getting a dirty ole brownish SNES back to its sexy grey color?
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

You can't really do it. I hear about this all the time, everyone has a theory, but I've never seen anything proven.

First, it's not that it's dirty really, but that the plastic has problems with oxidation. Usually one half of the SNES will turn colors and the other half won't. Nintendo used various different plastics throughout producing the console, but not one version is impervious to this. Most will tell you that this oxidation effect can't really be helped or prevented, but I've seen new SNESs opened for the first time after years and look excellent, and there are many that still have their gray color which have been opened and owned for 15 years. I've never had a problem with any of mine, whether they were newly opened or had been for years. So there is certainly a storage or keeping method that will prevent this from happening.

For an SNES that's still gray, I'd suggest keeping it stored in styrofoam, perhaps in a slightly below room temperature environment. I've never seen an SNES turn ugly if maintained that way. I'm also not an oxidation expert, so that may sound retarded, but I've never seen it go wrong.

But as for one already discolored, many people find that a simple cleaning will make quite a difference, but will almost certainly not change the plastic color. People who do this typically let the outer case sit in water for a period, of course after taking apart. So you won't make a huge difference, but it should look noticably "cleaner", maybe a shade less brown.

A not so great idea would be to sand-paper it. People have actually done that. The discoloration happens a lot lower than the surface of the case, and sand-papering it will only make an even weirder looking SNES, escpecially on one that has a textured case. So don't do it.

Lastly, I've heard about people wanting to bleach these things. That's only turned out well for a PC FX, and pictures of a bleached SNES haven't been so flattering. You'd be best simply cleaning it, or just hunting down a new one.

Oh, and if you're not opposed to altering the SNES from the way it originally shipped, you maybe could consider painting it.
durkada
64-bit

Post by durkada »

Just to concur with SegaVega -- its a loss. Many factors can cause this, but its ultimately a chemical reaction which is not reversible. Short of taking it apart and painting it, you're out of luck.

This is, historically, a huge problem with older pinball machines -- depending upon the manufacturing process of the plastic part, it may retain its brilliant lustre or change colors dramatically. For instance, on one of my older games, Jokerz, the clear ramps are now opaque yellow -- you can't even see the adhesives underneath which illustrate what the score lanes do.

Generally speaking, heat/sunlight, is usually the trigger. You can often avoid the sunlight hitting your plastics, but inside a console, enough heat is always generated to begin the process of yellowing.

Cheers,
Jon
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Hmm, was my NES ever whiter then it is now? I can't even remember. Still looks pretty good to me, in terms of color anyway. Had it since 89. Unfortunately, the plastic itself has weakened and nearly all the screws have eaten through the grips. It barely holds together.

Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

BAH THATS MY FUTURE COPY OF ZELDA YOUR USING!

*shakes fist in anger* :evil:

Anyways I hear that baking soda works sorta for things like this.

Also Ive got a copy of Zelda II (gold) that has this blue paintish markerish looking name on the back. (getridge I hate you for this). Removal Ideas? Maybe I should just remove the gold and make it the Black copy then buy another gold? I mean the gold paint does seem to be coming off on the corners............ :?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Cerulean wrote:BAH THATS MY FUTURE COPY OF ZELDA YOUR USING!

*shakes fist in anger* :evil:

Oh yeah, haha. Well at least you can see that it's in great condition, huh? Also, I believe this was a game I actually replaced the battery in after 10 years. Saving should work fine....unless I'm thinking of Zelda 2...might have replaced batteries in both...