Thank You!

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
vash23n
Next-Gen

Thank You!

Post by vash23n »

I was, literally, days away from sending my 2600 off to be modded at 8bitdomain. Not from ordering the kit to install myself, but actually sending my system away to this guy. I contacted 8bitdomain a few weeks ago. He was pretty friendly and I hate to talk bad about someone I have never dealt with... so I won't. What I will say is that, thanks to you guys, I discovered another guy whose work blew me away. I contacted the Longhorn Engineer, and now am just waiting to see if he is still does this mod - something about no longer accepting pre-orders stated on his site. I don't think it will be a problem. This guy seems to do quality work and he seems much more professional.

Again, I see a lot of people saying they have not had problems with 8bitdomain, and it really does come down to quality. I will say that I hope 8bitdomain responds to a lot of the criticism he seems to get on many forums. I agree that this is his hobby and he is doing it because he loves it rather than to make a living. Still, when you are charging a fee, you HAVE to be professional. If you are going to take a long time, communication is a MUST. If you make a mistake in ANY way, you HAVE TO FIX IT!!

Anyhoo, sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, I did the best I could (Hacks and Mods)...
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Thank You!

Post by Hatta »

What are you having done to the 2600? Just adding video out or what?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

I'm wondering the same thing. Tell us what kind of mod you're getting!
vash23n
Next-Gen

Post by vash23n »

oh snap guess I left that out. I recently got a 2600 from unleaded logic. Hooked it up and realized my cable has to be on 4 while the atari has to be on 2 or 3. So when I turn to 2-3 the picture is that scrambled, semi-antenna, secret message from outer space shit. No biggy I said, but when I turn on the console the picture is scrambled and barely viewable. The sound is nothing, but the scrambled audio that was coming through the tv from the channel before I turned the unit on. Hehehe unit.

Anyhoo, I heard this could be due to shitty rf hookup and that the rf cable can even act as a sort of antenna in the 2600. So I'll be getting the a/v mod with the composite RCA and S video cable.
Incognito D
128-bit

Post by Incognito D »

Not meaning to go off on a wild tangent or anything but...

The mention of shitty RF cables working as an antenna reminded me of this time when I was a kid that I was playing my SNES. I was playing it on a portable colour television, next to which was an old black and white portable TV from the 60s or 70s. I swear, if you turned on the black and white TV and tuned it in right when you were playing the SNES next to it on the other TV, the picture would somehow be appearing on both. :o

wtf?
vash23n
Next-Gen

Post by vash23n »

Incognito D wrote:Not meaning to go off on a wild tangent or anything but...

The mention of shitty RF cables working as an antenna reminded me of this time when I was a kid that I was playing my SNES. I was playing it on a portable colour television, next to which was an old black and white portable TV from the 60s or 70s. I swear, if you turned on the black and white TV and tuned it in right when you were playing the SNES next to it on the other TV, the picture would somehow be appearing on both. :o

wtf?

heheh would the snes picture be appearing on both... cause thatd be sweet!
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

Incognito D wrote:Not meaning to go off on a wild tangent or anything but...

wtf?

That happened at a friend's house back in the early 90s too, also with a b/w TV, only it happened with the TVs in different rooms
Incognito D
128-bit

Post by Incognito D »

Yeah, the SNES was appearing on both. I specifically remember playing Nigel Mansell's World Championship at the time! :)

Pullmyfinger wrote:
That happened at a friend's house back in the early 90s too, also with a b/w TV, only it happened with the TVs in different rooms

I'm just glad someone else witnessed this, or it would just be me going crazy. Maybe it's something to do with old black and white TVs? who knows?