Zig's SNES Repros

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
MrPopo

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

Post by MrPopo »

Ziggy587 wrote:Great news. I got (my first) Secret of Mana 2 cart working!

Awesome! I think that was one of the hardest ones I wanted to have you do. Btw, should I re-PM you for you to get me on your list of work to do and I can start sending you my carts?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It was a little difficult, more time consuming over the others than anything else. Not necessarily harder. Honestly, the thing I hate the most about making these is removing the original label from the gamepak. Such a pain in the ass! Would any one care if I put the new label right over the old one? lol. I'm gonna see how that looks.

And actually, Mana 2 is wired the same way MANY other games are. It's a HiROM game with 64KBits of SRAM and multiple EPROMs, so other examples of that would be Bahamut Lagoon, Terranigma, Clock Tower, Mega Man & Bass, Final Fantasy 5, and tons more. All the same thing, just different ROM images.

I'll PM you guys when I get home from work. Thanks for the comments!
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Nice work!
I am the Bacman
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks!

Sorry to MrPopo and FastBilly, time escaped me today and I'm about to turn in for the night. I'll PM yous tomorrow. The good news though, I made a Live A Live cart today (for Mr Ack).
fast
Next-Gen

Post by fast »

Oh so thats how it is, you think Ack is a better mod than Popo and I? Oh we will see about that...

Its cool man, take your time. Id rather have it done right and on your time, than fast, - it helps that I have about a month before most of my game group is back in town. But for the record, I am still going to yell at Ack about this.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well don't feel too bad about it, Ack's request predates. It's actually on the first page of this thread. I swear, I love all my mods equally!

But to go into one of my ranting vents... The SNES MAD-1 is able to address two mask ROMs. Live A Live is a 16Mbit game (needs EPROMs) so I was trying to wire it with out the need of additional line address chip called a 74LS139 (which you would need for anything over 2 EPROMs). The cart wasn't working so I wired it WITH the 74LS139, but it still wasn't working. Then I realized, like an idiot I had the EPROMs piggybacked facing opposite directions. When two chips with 32 legs are soldered together, it takes a while to get them apart and back together, and then rewire it to the cart.

So then I rewired without the 74LS139. Game booted up, but would lock up after the splash screen. Long story short (too late) I rewired with the 74LS139 (again) and now it works fine.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Heh Ziggy, that reminds me of a time I installed RAM backwards. And got the tabs to lock. And didn't cause any permanent damage to the mobo or the RAM. It took ages to figure out, since it obviously couldn't be the RAM: the tabs locked!
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I hate shit like that. It's so frustrating. When I was making Mana 2, I was following the diagram from this one website. The diagram was easy enough to follow, but it left some things to be assumed. After I originally wired it, it wasn't working. I was switching wires around trying to see if I assumed incorrectly. Finally, I looked up an alternate way to wire the 74LS139 and it worked first shot. I wouldn't doubt if there's multiple ways to wire it, but what a pain in the ass that was anyway.

I'll be making Treasure Hunter G for myself soon (my first LoROM cart). I'd make it today but I got work all day : (

And also, a lot of people have made requests for a lot of different games either in this thread or by PM. I would just like to ask every one to be patient, I'll try to get back to everyone. Remember, this is just a hobby for me. Feel free to re-PM me if it's been a while.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Wait, so Live A Live is done? Awesome!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Lol, yeah it's done. I was playing it a little, testing it and to make sure it saves. The only thing left is the label, which I'm not quite done creating. I was having a little bit of creater's block. Here's my rough draft....

The guys in the rectangles are taken from the front cover of the SFC box but the ones that were on the extreme left and right where brought down into the "second row" which created that black void in the middle. The guys in the circles were taken from the back of the box, and repositioned like that. Just black behind the circles looks too blah for me, and that's where I got my creater's block.

I was trying to keep the format of a real SNES label, but if you're down I could totally switch it up and make something more original (but less official) looking.