What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Beaten 15 Zelda games so far. I have to replay 3 of them, at least partially, to get some 60 fps footage. I then have to play 12 more, and 2 3ds remakes to compare. I can't play Four Swords as it's literally impossible unless I buy 2 GBAs and 2 copies and have a friend play it with me, and even then I can't record the footage. There's not even a working ROM for it.

Not to mention that there's another Zelda game coming out November 20.

It's getting tough to go through this now. Tri-Force Heroes is easily the worst Zelda game, and Skyward Sword is quite disappointing so far too. You have to exaggerate the motions as much as when you're taking a driver's license test. There's also no hook at all to it. It takes like 2 hours to get to the first dungeon, and even then the dungeon is underwhelming. At least the boss battle was surprisingly difficult for a first boss battle. I've noticed that it's a failed experiment with most of its mechanics, but it brought us Breath of the Wild.

A Link Between Worlds is quite fun, but it's based too much on the nostalgia of A Link to the Past. It also has some of the mechanic flaws that Tri-force Heroes has, like having your character shoot diagonally most of the time.

I am looking forward to replaying Majora's Mask, Breath of the Wild, and Hyrule Warriors. The 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask should be fun too. Four Swords Adventures should at least by interesting. Link's Crossbow Training looks like harmless fun. Every younger Zelda fan HATES Zelda 2 Adventure of Link, but it seems loved here so I am very interested in trying it out.

Spirit Tracks, Zelda Wand of Gamelon, and the Game and Watch are stuff that seem to be underwhelming, so I am not looking forward to those.

I would love to beat these games by the end of the year. That will give me around 7 weeks to assemble all the footage, write my script, film myself, and edit it so it can be posted before the anniversary. It's gonna be a huge challenge.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Not sure if you’ve played it yet, but Anniversary Edition is the way to go on Four Swords:

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_ ... ry_Edition

It’s the same game, but with a single player mode. Unfortunately, it’s delisted; so, it can be tough to find. I was lucky enough to buy a used 2DS with it installed by the previous owner, but I am sure that there are other, less random ways to find the game.

Also, for the record, Zelda II is awesome.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Weird. Looked for that version too but couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out a youtube comment had a link for it :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Weird. Looked for that version too but couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out a youtube comment had a link for it :lol:

It’s pretty solid, and I’m glad you’re going to play it. Also, it’s really short; so, I don’t think it’ll add a lot of time to your Zelda marathon. (I’m very impressed you’re playing the CDi games, BTW.)
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Weird. Looked for that version too but couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out a youtube comment had a link for it :lol:

It’s pretty solid, and I’m glad you’re going to play it. Also, it’s really short; so, I don’t think it’ll add a lot of time to your Zelda marathon. (I’m very impressed you’re playing the CDi games, BTW.)

Turns out the only way to get Four Swords Anniversary working is to hack a real 3DS. Not sure if it's worth that much effort.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Sticking with the horror themes of October, I started a game of Resident Evil 2 on the PS1. I played it for a few hours straight and ended up finishing Leon's Scenario A in one sitting. I'll probably play through a chunk of Claire's Scenario B tomorrow as well.

Also, I started a new save file in Chrono Trigger last week, and am up to the Lab 32 area.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Finished Super Mario's Picross (review coming soon ;b), so I've been delving into the Switch Castlevania Collection I bought a couple weeks back. I ended up playing through damn near all of them this weekend, with only Castlevania II left to go XD. Ended up using varying amounts of save states for them, but I tried to use them more sparingly when I could bear it to get something akin to the authentic experience. I also bought the MSX Castlevania on Wii U VC and played that on stream this morning, which was certainly an experience XD

I've got like 7 Castlevania reviews to write now, so what I think I might do is wait until I'm done with Castlevania 2 and then instead of writing about them in the order I beat them in, write reviews for them in the order they came out and in the context of the other CV games at the time. All in one big AJ-style multi-review post. I really enjoyed doing that with Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages last year, so I think a big comparative review like that will be fun ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Getting really lucky with shooters so far. Trying out Clive Barker's Undying for Halloween, and the spells and weapon variety are so much fun. The level design is fantastic too with minimal backtracking. I love how the enemies look like as well.

I found out about this obscure gem called Take No Prisoners, and it's an absolute master. The gameplay kind of reminds me of Doom, but it's third person and top down. This view actually works so well. The gore is fantastic as well. The plot seems to be similar to Escape From New York, and it includes a huge level design of having to go different areas of the city without telling you where is the next step for you to go, so it can be overwhelming since you can go to areas that are way too strong for your current setup.

I find it funny that the company that did this game went on to make the Call of Duty games. I should probably try Heretic, Hexen, and especially MageSlayer after this though.
rick_v

Post by rick_v »

Diablo II :twisted: for the first time in over 10 years.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

rick_v wrote:Diablo II :twisted: for the first time in over 10 years.

That's awesome, haven't revisited Diablo 2 in so long. My GF and I clocked a lot of hours playing Diablo 3 couch co-op last year though, which was a lotta fun.