Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I have very little experience with board and card games (mostly just monopoly, sorry! and scrabble), but my boyfriend has been introducing me to the few games he has and now we're looking into getting more haha.

Like recently we played Killer Bunnies which I really like just because of how silly some of the cards are. Not sure I like how you could do super well in the game but still lose though (even if I won all three games we played haha)
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have enjoyed playing Funemployment. It's a little like Apple to Apples and Cards Against Humanity, but with a twist. Each player takes turns playing an employer and turns over a job position card. The players all have 4 "qualifications" cards in their hand, and everyone has to scramble to swap out cards with the communal 8 cards dealt out in the middle of the table to craft the "perfect" 4-qualification hand. Then, after the swap out period (1 minute long), the players have to take turns laying out their qualification cards and tying them to the position.

It's quite fun with the right group of folks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I played Killer Bunnies years ago. I remember liking it, but that ONLY myself and one buddy did, EVERYONE else hated it. Been so long I remember nothing about it though.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Once upon a time sounds awesome. I will keep an eye out for that one.

Right now we are playing alot of Talisman and Ogre at my house.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Killer Bunnies is weak on strategy - cards are cute, but that wears off quickly.

I've considered Munchkin - has anyone played it?

That game sounds great, Dave - i'll def check it out.

I forgot to mention we are also playing Citadels. I'd call it a mash-up of Love Letter and 7 Wonders. It has the role change and skill change each round like Love Letter, and has the building of colored buildings to accumulate gold at the end like 7 Wonders. It's inexpensive, easy to learn, good strategy, some mild bluffing, and plays quick. A 5p game takes about 35 minutes. It plays 3-8, but I wouldn't play without at least 4 and prefer 5+.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Get Children Munchkin at Target.

Munchkin is easy to play and fun for a few games, but the actual game has some borderline stuff for kids.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

mjmjr25 wrote:I've considered Munchkin - has anyone played it?

It's not much more interesting than Killer Bunnies is.

Citadels is great, though, a true classic.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I used to play Munchkin all the time, but I have not played it recently. Mostly because the game requires three people and I only play Board Games with one other person on a regular basis.

Munchkin is good for a few games, but it's not going to be played for years to come. The best part of the game is the content. If you are big into D&D and RPG's, you will get many of the jokes and many of the references. That is the best part of the game and really enjoyable.

The core mechanic wears thin rather quickly. By the end of the game, it gets really cutthroat and you begin to hate your friends. It becomes a race to Level 9 and then everyone ganging up on everybody else trying to get to Level 10, which wins the game.

It's fun, but it's a short kind of fun. Nothing long lasting.
marurun

Post by marurun »

fastbilly1 wrote:Get Children Munchkin at Target.

Munchkin is easy to play and fun for a few games, but the actual game has some borderline stuff for kids.

It's not too bad. Pull 3 or 4 cards from the deck prior to play and it's safe for anyone older than about 7 or 8.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

The secret to winning Munchkin is being in second place until the end. Then everyone blows their wad keeping the first guy from hitting level 10, so you hit it easily.

But yeah... The game is vaguely cute, but gets old fast in my eyes.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread