What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by MrPopo »

Here's a question for you guys? When was the last time you watched The Matrix? I think we've all forgotten that even though the sequels were steaming turds the first one was a damn fine action movie. Even though the basic premise gets shot down by science.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:So I recently watched Paths of Glory, Stanley Kubrick's other war movie. For some reason whenever I see modern lists of favorite Kubrick films, this one never appears, whereas both Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove often do. I wonder if this is because the latter two feature humor as a respite that simply isn't present in Paths of Glory.

The plot centers around a WWI battle that goes horribly awry for the French, and three men are chosen to face court martial and execution to pay for the "cowardice of their companies," which in turn were only put up to the battle by an ambitious general seeking promotion. Kubrick is claimed to have said that his film was never meant as anti-war, but instead as anti-authoritarian ignorance. I don't know if this claim is true, but I came out of this respecting Kubrick even more as a director than I did before(which is pretty amazing, concerning how much I've loved most of his work), because he managed to convey that impression while showing the soldiers to all be human beings. The ending to the film really drives that home, as the French soldiers become emotional as they listen to a German prisoner sing a folk song. It is perhaps the most moving scene of the entire film, and I'm glad it was put in.

I can't say that this is Kirk Douglas' best performance, considering that three years after this he would star in Sparticus, but I would say that this is definitely one of his top showings. If you're a fan of Kubrick or Douglas(or better yet both), this is well worth watching. It's an amazing movie, and I greatly recommend it.

Amen. This film is certainly more consistent throughout then Full Metal Jacket (a film whose second half doesn't match the intensity of the first). That last scene is haunting and the film as a whole is brilliant. I am not sure why it is left out of most Kubrick conversation - and was excluded from things like the Kubrick DVD collection, etc. It's also a much better Kubrick/Douglas film then Spartacus - have you seen that?

Here's how I would rank Kubrick's films. Feel free to disagree! :D

A Clockwork Orange>Dr. Strangelove>2001>The Shining>Paths of Glory>Barry Lyndon>Full Metal Jacket>Eyes Wide Shut>Spartacus>Lolita>The Killing>Killer's Kiss

Of course I think all these films are excellent - even the ones at the bottom of the list are films worth seeing.

I just realized that I've still never seen Kubrick's first feature film Fear and Desire (I don't think it has ever seen a US release on DVD) - but I just found a torrent for it - expect a review soon!
Last edited by dsheinem on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevetamis

Post by stevetamis »

The last movie i saw was Terminator Salvation and its full of action movie. I loved it very much, It was the most awaited movie for me since all the previous parts were superb.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Reverend wrote:
Ack wrote:Yeah, that reminds me of another Lugosi film I watched yesterday, Plan 9 From Outer Space. It was every bit as bad as I'd heard. Oh man, it hurt...

That reminds me, I've been meaning to watch that. Was it worse than Attack of the Killer Tomatos?

Yes, because the screw-ups in Plan 9 were only intentional due to budget. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is a comedy. Low-budget, sure, but some of the jokes it dared to make were incredible(the Japanese man knocking the picture of the U.S.S. Arizona into an aquarium, for instance). And it's known that Ed Wood Jr. often thought of all his works as masterpieces, so Plan 9 was supposed to be taken seriously. And...well, Plan 9 is just bloody awful. Hilariously bad, but bad.

dsheinem wrote:It's also a much better Kubrick/Douglas film then Spartacus - have you seen that?

Yes, I absolutely loved it. It was one of the most epic films I've ever watched, and it had some absolutely amazing characters, not just in Douglas, but most of the cast as well. When I started watching it, I was worried I wouldn't be able to sit through the whole thing in one sitting, but it kept my eyes glued to the screen. Good stuff.

Between Paths of Glory and Spartacus, I feel Paths of Glory has the better message, but Spartacus sparked my sense of adventure. Both led up to depressing climaxes, though Spartacus offered much more in way of relief from it in the final scene. Paths of Glory gets through the whole execution before offering any sort of relief, which I felt finally came at the end in the German prisoner's song. Between the two, I feel Spartacus is the happier movie.
Reverend
Next-Gen

Post by Reverend »

MrPopo wrote:Here's a question for you guys? When was the last time you watched The Matrix? I think we've all forgotten that even though the sequels were steaming turds the first one was a damn fine action movie. Even though the basic premise gets shot down by science.

A week or two ago. :lol:
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

MrPopo wrote:Here's a question for you guys? When was the last time you watched The Matrix? I think we've all forgotten that even though the sequels were steaming turds the first one was a damn fine action movie. Even though the basic premise gets shot down by science.

I think it has aged horribly. I just can't take Ted...er...Reeves seriously.

Watched WATCHMEN Directors Cut on Tuesday. I thought it flowed smoother than the theatrical release, but man, 3 hours is a long time to spend sitting on the couch. That is, if you're not playing video games.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I actually kinda like the Schumacher Batman films, but Burton STILL beats them all. Sorry Nolan.

But I absolutely HATE Jim Carrey's version of The Riddler. It's like a coked-up Jim Carrey assraping Maxx Headroom.

They should have gotten Matt Frewer and made Riddler less of a spazmonkey.

And here's my choice to play Nolan's Riddler (he's also the choice to play a rehabilitated Nygma in a TV series idea I have (see here for details)):

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I ended up doing religion night last night; watched Dogma and The Ten Commandments. They just don't make films like that anymore. Cast of thousands ftw.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reverend
Next-Gen

Post by Reverend »

I was thinking about watching Religilous. Is it worth watching?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Reverend wrote:I was thinking about watching Religilous. Is it worth watching?

Yes. Although Maher gets so dogmatic about his own position by the end...I wonder if the irony escapes him.