What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by MrPopo »

I personally can't stand WASD. I only use it on a select few games; WoW and KOTOR, and I can't remember if I used it for Gears or not. I originally played Duke 3D solo with just the basic arrows and ctrl, since the game had rediculous vertical auto-aim. Then when I spent two weeks at U Mich learning DirectX we'd spend the evenings playing Quake 2, and I realized I needed a mouse. So I crafted myself some controls that made sense for me. I basically rest my fingers on SDFG, with S and G as strafe, DF as backwards, and right click as move forwards. I then bind everything else to the keys surrounding SDFG, with XCV being the least used, generally for functions that are handy but rarely used in the heat of combat. When you're using keyboard and mouse you shouldn't feel it necessary to stick with whatever bindings are default. They put in the remapper for a reason.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Perhaps this debate deserves its own thread?

Anyway, I've always played FPSs on both PC and consoles. I started with Wolfenstien 3D/Doom/Duke Nukem/etc. on a PC (and later things like AvP, Half-Life, Quake, and so on) and found them to be far superior to the console ports of Doom, or games like Zero Tolerance or Goldeneye (which, of course, everyone raves about). The point is, I played both platforms and completely understand why PC gaming has traditionally been the superior platform for FPSs. For most of last decade and this, if an FPS game was on PC and console, I always opted for the PC version.

And yes, PCs still are preferable in terms of graphics, precision control, etc. HOWEVER, I really do feel that the gap between quality, control, modification capabilities, etc. is finally shrinking this generation. The use of/adjustments to dual analog sticks has improved, most game designers have consoles first in mind when producing their games, and many of the features that PC gamers enjoyed (communities/clans, stat tracking, mods, etc.) have all been done on consoles.

Has the popularity of FPSs on consoles hurt the genre and hurt ingenuity on its native PC platform? Yes. Are most FPS games generally dumbed down now? YES. Are they dumbed down enough that I would rather stick to PCs and wait for a delayed release (e.g. Halo games), miss console exclusives (e.g. Battlefield: Bad Company, the Killzone or Resistance games, etc.), or deal with annoying DRM, video card issues, more cheaters, a [usually] smaller screen, etc.? HELL NO.

Don't get me wrong. I'll probably be playing Valve and iD games on a PC until I die as they still do it right. Beyond that, though, it's a crapshoot. PC gamers who think otherwise are in a state of denial.
The Apprentice
128-bit

Post by The Apprentice »

I have no trouble with the WASD control scheme, but it's everything around it that throws me off. It just feels akward to jump with the space bar and switch weapons with the number keys or mouse wheel. In TF2 I usually pick the two of the three weapons I'll use while in spawn, switch between them, and then use Q as my "use last weapon" button. It also doesn't feel right when I'm in the game, because I can't find a mouse sensitivity that works for me.

Console FPSs however work perfectly for me, because everything I need is under my thumbs.
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

console fps control, sucks because there is a limit to how fast you can move the camera, but with the mouse, if you are really in a panic, you can do spins shooting everything that is around you, if your hand is fast enough.

Also I just saw Blood: The last Vampire, which was ok. The japanese chick was great, but the rest of the actors...... so meh.

also I saw Hangover, and it ROCKS, one of the funniest movies, I've seen in some time. Go and see this, instead of the piece of shit that is Bruno
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Mozgus wrote:Sorry, but you don't know anything. WASD+keyboard is much easier for a person to get comfortable with than dual sticks.

Actually, I'm comfortable with both, so long as I have a mouse to go with WASD. In fact, since my homemade Xbox-to-USB dongle stopped working (need to make a better one OR buy that thing to use wireless 360 controllers on my PC), I switched over to a WASD scheme, with the action buttons (like A/B/X/Y for ZSNES) being in the HJKL;/YUIOP area, except in some cases (like Q and E being Start and Select for ZNES).

As for Wicked City, I've seen the anime version (got a DVD-R of this altered version of the vastly superior Japanese DVD, with English subs and the English dub added by KentaiFilms, a user on Asian DVD Club), as well as the Chinese live-action version (from Cinemageddon).
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

I just saw hot Fuzz last night... do the word "Totally Badass" mean anything to you? Best Movie Ever. (Shaun of the Dead is second best)
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

The entirety of Neon Genesis Evangelion and both movies back to back to back in one sitting as all the current talk of it on the forums got me in the mood to rewatch it all.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Reverend
Next-Gen

Post by Reverend »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:The entirety of Neon Genesis Evangelion and both movies back to back to back in one sitting as all the current talk of it on the forums got me in the mood to rewatch it all.

WOW. I had been meaning to watch Evangelion for some time now, and only recently got my hands on the DVDs. I'll definitely start watching in the next few days!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:The entirety of Neon Genesis Evangelion and both movies back to back to back in one sitting as all the current talk of it on the forums got me in the mood to rewatch it all.

Jesus, that's a mindfuck of a weekend.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

MrPopo wrote:

Jesus, that's a mindfuck of a weekend.

No weekend, 16 hours, one chair, one 3-Liter bottle of grape soda, no food, no interuptions.

And that was just the first of three days of EVA. I simply watched my LaserDisc version of the series & movies, next comes the Analog DVD set followed by the movies in a single sitting as well, finished with the Digital re-master DVD's and both movies once again.

Afterwards I'll usually cool down by watching the Director's cut episodes as well.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366