Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
opa
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by opa »

You know, Ziggy, you could just put the... art of the Castlevania box as your avatar. :lol:

I finally got around to picking up the Castlevania Requiem collection. The store got some standard editions in stock so I got one of those instead of dealing with a huge box. The standard edition came with a poster too so that was pretty neat. The games seem to run and play fine. There's a slight pause when saving in SotN but I'm pretty sure it did that in the original version?
MrPopo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:17 pm I personally didn't like the major model change they did to Maria. And not having those delightful old anime cutscenes.
Rondo still has the anime cutscene in the beginning when I played. Or were there more and I don't remember it?
Also, what was changed about Maria? I tried searching but couldn't find any answers.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Original Rondo also has cutscenes at various points in the game to show aspects of the story. As for Maria, you can see the differences between Rondo and DXC here: https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Mar ... rd/Gallery
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:09 am You know, Ziggy, you could just put the... art of the Castlevania box as your avatar. :lol:
I was wondering how long it would take someone to look up the UPC. :lol:

Speaking of avatars... Popo, fix your avatar!
MrPopo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:13 am Original Rondo also has cutscenes at various points in the game to show aspects of the story.
Wait... Those cutscenes were removed from the PSP/PS4 version? It's been a while since I've played the PSP version, and I never made it all the way through on PS4, but I've played it several times on the PCE. I never noticed that there were any missing cutscenes. Which ones are they?
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Is it similar to the The Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP? I played Rondo on that and was wondering if it was worth hunting this newer version.

That version was a remake of Rondo and had the original PC Engine version and a port of SotN as an unlock.
Last edited by Gucci on Sat May 11, 2024 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ziggy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:24 am Speaking of avatars... Popo, fix your avatar!
It shows up in UserCP but not the board. Too lazy to change it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Gucci wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 am Is it similar to the The Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP? I played Rondo on that and was wondering if it was worth hunting this newer version.

That version was a remake of Rondo and had the original PC Engine version and a port of SotN as an unlock.
Castlevania Requiem is a PS4 collection of Rondo and SotN, they are the version you can unlock in The Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. It was released digitally, but Limited Run Games put out a physical version of it.

I would say it's worth picking up to be able to play the PSP versions on a home console, which I much prefer to a handheld.
MrPopo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 am
Ziggy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:24 am Speaking of avatars... Popo, fix your avatar!
It shows up in UserCP but not the board. Too lazy to change it.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Yeah, I legit don't remember other anime cutscenes from Rondo but most of my experience with Rondo has been the PSP version (and now the PS4 port of said version). So it makes since I don't remember other scenes if they exist in the original. I know I've played some of the original Rondo on an emulator but I didn't make it far enough to see anything else.

FWIW, I like the translation/voice-acting of the new version of SotN. The tone is a little more serious I think and the voice-acting isn't totally cringey. This is just a supposition but outside of the meme line "What is a man?" I don't think the purists would care that much about the voice acting in literally the other 99% of the game and would be fine with the new version.

I enjoy a "miserable pile of secrets" as much as the next person, but I'm not going to skip an entire version of the game because of it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:57 pm Yeah, I legit don't remember other anime cutscenes from Rondo but most of my experience with Rondo has been the PSP version (and now the PS4 port of said version). So it makes since I don't remember other scenes if they exist in the original. I know I've played some of the original Rondo on an emulator but I didn't make it far enough to see anything else.
The first time I played Rondo was actually the PSP version. I bought a PSP just for The Dracula X Chronicles. Around the same time, the original Japanese version became available on the Wii VC, so I picked that up as well. Then after the fan translation was finished, I played a lot of that version on my PCE. I picked up Requiem after getting a PS4, but I never actually finished Rondo on it. Although I got very near the end. That said, I never noticed any scenes missing from the PSP/PS4 version. Although to be honest, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to those scenes (at least not after seeing them for the first time). Maybe there were scenes missing and I just didn't notice?
opa wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:57 pmFWIW, I like the translation/voice-acting of the new version of SotN. The tone is a little more serious I think and the voice-acting isn't totally cringey. This is just a supposition but outside of the meme line "What is a man?" I don't think the purists would care that much about the voice acting in literally the other 99% of the game and would be fine with the new version.

I enjoy a "miserable pile of secrets" as much as the next person, but I'm not going to skip an entire version of the game because of it.

Oh yeah, I really like the new translation. And I really like how the voice actors match between Rondo and SotN, since those games are so connected. But I think the original PS1 version will remain my favorite. And purely because that's the first version I played, and I played a lot of it. The PSP translation is objectively better, but the PS1 version is what gives me a nostalgic feeling. "What is a man" is funny, but I never thought as much of it as the rest of the internet seems to. My favorite part of that is that he breaks his wine glass, which happens in all versions. But there are some lines, that are so stupid, that I just love to hear. "What do you here?" And "Twood be best." I also just love Alucard's voice actor in the PS1 version. I love to get him stuck in places to hear him say "WHAT!?" LOL
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Ziggy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:02 pm
Gucci wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 am Is it similar to the The Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP? I played Rondo on that and was wondering if it was worth hunting this newer version.

Castlevania Requiem is a PS4 collection of Rondo and SotN, they are the version you can unlock in The Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. It was released digitally, but Limited Run Games put out a physical version of it.

I would say it's worth picking up to be able to play the PSP versions on a home console, which I much prefer to a handheld.
Interesting. I'd consider getting it but I do have a method of playing it on a home console, but I have to put in some work. I have a PS Vita TV that I can try to mod and get it running on that. May not be super sharp (720p or 1080i and it being a 240p PSP game), but it's worth a shot to save a bit of money.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!