16%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 277

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Wii-U thoughts so far

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:Take some video (if you can) of that Hyperscan!

As soon as I get a power cord, controller, game, and some cards for it, I'll try. :P
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So... does it look like all, or vast majority of, big first party WiiU titles will eventually hit the Switch?

Makes sense to recoup or increase the ROI on development for these titles, while also reaching a larger audience and increasing the switch library.

If so, this console will hit flea markets fast... the first party titles had me considering purchasing one.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:So... does it look like all, or vast majority of, big first party WiiU titles will eventually hit the Switch?

Makes sense to recoup or increase the ROI on development for these titles, while also reaching a larger audience and increasing the switch library.

If so, this console will hit flea markets fast... the first party titles had me considering purchasing one.

A good amount will, but probably not all. Some of the ones that have included DLC to make a DX version, but there's many first party games that didn't. I highly doubt we'll see MP10, Mario 3D World or Yoshi's Wooly World on the Switch, but it could be possible.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Jagosaurus wrote:So... does it look like all, or vast majority of, big first party WiiU titles will eventually hit the Switch?

Seems likely to me. With the number we've seen already, Nintendo probably has a fairly established tools or porting process to facilitate it. As you said, it makes sense to make the most of the money already spent on developing the games and flesh out the Switch release calendar at the same time.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I actually thought the upcoming Switch Yoshi game was Wolly. I didn't realize it was a new game. Thanks for pointing that out.

Was just thinking of this scenario after hearing Hyrule Warriors, DK Tropical Freeze, & Captain Toad Treasure were on their way over to the Switch. That's a big chunk of first party titles.

I also expect Smash Bros to be a type of Definitive Edition as well. I'd be shocked if it was a ground up game that fast.

I imagine we'll see the Star Fox port eventually also. I don't keep up on news very well, sure I'm missing more that has been ported or is on the way.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

JoeAwesome wrote:A good amount will, but probably not all. Some of the ones that have included DLC to make a DX version, but there's many first party games that didn't. I highly doubt we'll see MP10, Mario 3D World or Yoshi's Wooly World on the Switch, but it could be possible.

Woolly World actually already got ported to 3DS, so it was WAY ahead of the curve as far as ports off of the Wii U were concerned :lol:

The only reason I'd think games like MP10 or Star Fox Zero may not come to Switch is because a significant amount of their features involve the whole "two screens" gimmick. I'm not sure Nintendo would want to totally redesign a significant chunk of MP10 when they could just make a Switch-focused MP11. As far as Star Fox goes, that game sold so poorly and got hammered so hard in reviews I'd be really surprised if they every bothered porting it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Tokyo Mirage Sessions needs to come to Switch. Even the second screen text messaging can be changed to a menu thing like Persona 5 or Cyber Sleuth. I think Switch owners would be far more accepting of the game esp if they want something Persona ish. This is my most wanted Wii U game to be ported to Switch.

While it would not be as hard as some would think, I'd love to see Wonderful 101 come to Switch as well. You can draw the attacks with the analog sticks as it is and the Gamepad only segments already can be toggled to the TV with a button press so it's not as big a deal as some think.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I used some reward points to order another Wii U game without spending actual money. I'm only six away now from a full North American set - Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge, Transformers Prime, Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, The Voice, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, and Wipeout 3.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Once the holiday season hits, I think I’m going to feel a need to either get a Wii U or a Switch.
A Wii U would be nice to have HDMI output for our Wii, but I’m also thinking about doing a nice soft-mod setup with lots of emulation on our Wii for the kids. Also curious how well the Wii U does with handling Wii games....
I guess with the games being ported, should I just stick with a soft mod Wii and a Switch and skip the Wii U altogether?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I can't recommend you forego a Wii U entirely, but I think a softmodded Wii and Switch is the way to go first and foremost. Then get a Wii U later.

The Wii U handles Wii games extremely well, but as a lot of Wii games kind of depend on the blur of 480i to hide some of the graphical sacrifices that had to be made, it does tend to highlight the visual flaws of the games. I generally prefer playing Wii games on my Wii outputting to a CRT via YPbPr.