What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by pierrot »

Exhuminator wrote:I think it's cool how you never know what "Field" you'll end up in. Gives the games some replayability as you learn the door paths.

Yeah, I've changed my route through stages considerably over the course of my recent playing. This most recent one seems to be the fastest so far. I was able to find a backpack hidden behind the panel at the start of Field 11, too. I really just want to avoid Field 40, though. That papa tadpole, and his baby frogs are not for me. It's kind of difficult for me to stick with the first game for extended periods of time, too. I like the levels in Shun a lot more, really, and that was where I started with the series. I could play the DS version of the original, with unlimited continues, but I went out and bought an original cartridge for the SFC a while ago, and can't bring myself to subvert that decision.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I think I got the vibe there's not a lot of Crash fans here, but I always liked the original game. Even if i didn't exactly grow up with it or finish it back in the day, I really dig its style and simplicity. So I got the N-Sane Trilogy and man, this thing is a beauty. More proof of how great colorful mascot styled platformers and all can look thesedays. It looks so authentic to the original too despite the monster jump in tech. I think I'm already close to the end after playing a bit the last two nights, just one more boss to go. It's brutal, but not as hard as some claimed or what I remember... I think as a kid I never beat the bridge level haha.

I love how simple this game is. You just jump or spin and hit things and you're playing instantly, no dumb story. It is what it is and I love it haha. Great stuff. I never played 2-3, so I'm really excited to get to those.

Pretty sure Coco is a new addition to this version. She plays the same but it's cool you get another option and can change in between levels. I really dig her design... totally makes me think of cool old Rare/DKC stuff.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I heard that one of the reasons that Crash 1 came off as so much harder in the N-Sane Trilogy is because they remade Crash 1 in Crash 3's engine, so the hit-boxes don't work exactly like they used to. Does that sound like nonsense or is there some truth to that hearsay?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I really can't confirm it honestly. The spin attack hit detection is a little weird but it's rarely been an issue. All I can say is that I'm averaging like 20-30 lives and am in the final world/zone after playing casually for two nights. Seems fair to me. I'm not going for all the boxes, keys, or whatnot though. So I'm breezing through. I'm honestly shocked at my pace. Like, this game is ~3-4 hours I guess?

I know 2-3 supposedly get a lot easier, but hopefully they're still fun.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

When you get to Crash 2 I would recommend going for a 100% run. Knowing the sort of gamer you are, I think you'll find it more rewarding. Also Crash 2 was voted objectively the best Crash game. True story.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I truly do not get the love for Crash. He's a poorly designed character with his arms coming out of his head and the games are just bad.The level design is horrid and so dull. It's just a straight line a lot of the time. It's some of the most boring platforming design there is.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Segata wrote:I truly do not get the love for Crash. He's a poorly designed character with his arms coming out of his head and the games are just bad.The level design is horrid and so dull. It's just a straight line a lot of the time. It's some of the most boring platforming design there is.

That's cool. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a lot of people have found joy in the games and for good reasons, like the platforming design not being boring, but being tense and exciting, and how level design isn't just landscape, but enemy placement, item placement and trap placement. Level development 101.

I mean, non open world Mario games are just you going in a straight line essentially.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

^ The difficulty in the last world of Crash Bandicoot. FUUUUUUCK

Sunk probably 50 some lives into The High Road (second bridge level).

I'm at the final boss, but went back to try and do The Lost City without dying while getting all the boxes for the green gem. Getting this apparently lets you access some area in one of the last levels that gives you 20 something lives to easily farm, so I'm going to stock up.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Getting near the end of Shadows of the Damned. It's been a lot of dumb fun. Really immature and really stupid but also a good laugh.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've been playing Nintendo 64 puzzle games with my daughter. Really enjoying Pokémon Puzzle League, specifically. Addicting game.

I continue to warm up to the N64. I was ambivalent about the whole thing for awhile - it was a huge let-down coming right after the SNES - but I keep finding worthwhile stuff to play.

To me the N64 almost feels like a Japanese successor to the Jaguar. Seriously. Both are 64-bit, have odd controllers, cartridges... and the N64 has those weird Western "reboots" that would have felt right at home on the Jaguar (Asteroids Hyper 64, Robotron 64, Lode Runner 3-D, Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness, and so on...). Then there's Tetrisphere, which was developed for the Jaguar initially, and then moved to the N64.