Persona 5 - PS3 vs. PS4

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Re: Persona 5 - PS3 vs. PS4

Post by ZenErik »

are you playing on the DLC difficulty?

I only played on normal for first run. So there wasn't much difficulty surviving even without 100% buff/debuff uptime.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Hm, not that I've even cracked open my copy, but I guess folks are not happy with the translation.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

isiolia wrote:Hm, not that I've even cracked open my copy, but I guess folks are not happy with the translation.

I never had a problem with the translation.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
isiolia wrote:Hm, not that I've even cracked open my copy, but I guess folks are not happy with the translation.

I never had a problem with the translation.

I get the sense that it's like designers with bad kerning; normal people don't notice it but people who have been trained on it see it like a nail being stabbed into their brain.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

True, I think someone in the comments pointed out that most of the blurbs were coming from professional translators or writers. Still, I'm quite clearly neither, and some of those screen caps still come across as pretty bad to me.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Anecdotally I never ran into anything while playing that pulled me out of the narrative flow thanks to awkward wording or anything. I was also playing with Japanese vocals and am extremely used to fansubs which tend to be on the more literal end of things.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

translation seemed pretty okay to me, but I'm not fluent in Japanese. May have been odd a few times. Can't remember specific examples.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

MrPopo wrote:am extremely used to fansubs which tend to be on the more literal end of things.

I think this was most of it for me. I play a lot of stuff with either fan translations or shitty low budget translations, so I don't tend to notice anything but the TRULY egregious shit.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

finished this yesterday. took me 2.5 months and 99 hours of gameplay (lol).

This game was truly something else. First of all the style. OMG does this game ooooze style. The graphics are gorgeous in my book, just because the art directors decided to focus on aesthetics instead of polygons. Square Enix should really learn from this game, because I believe it manages to be build a way more memorable world than any Final Fantasy since 10 (and I'm not even a fan of 10, but every other game since just pushes for good graphics without any heart in them). The only thing that I found a bit lacking were the persona designs. there just weren't a lot that I felt using because they looked cool, which is a shame in my opinion.

The music was really cool, with a bunch of pop tracks that really fit the game's atmosphere.

The dungeons were really fun, mostly because they were all so distinct in theme and all had their own little gimmick.

The battle system was really fun. It's really strange, it has this relaxing rythm (look for the weakness, attack with weakness, super power attack that usually finishes off the enemy) that made grinding a blast. I never got tired of the fights.

The characters were all very likable which is extremely rare for me in a JRPG. I had trouble picking who to use, cause I basically liked all of the main cast bar 2.

I think the writing itself was excellent when it came to overall plot, and especially some of social commentary about modern society (especially towards the end of the game) but at the same time.... the dialogue many times was horrible because of all the fucking anime cliches.

And there is one particular instance that I can't forgive the writers for:

Futaba was being shaped like a really deep character, with some really well defined drama. I feel they really cheapened that when they said that her mother didn't did in an accident or something, but that she was instead killed by the government. I also rolled my eyes when you find out that basically all of the bad guys except for the first one, were all conncted to the evil politician. Come on, even Trump has colluded with villains :lol: .

That was just very anime-ish, and even though I like anime myself, I just felt in this case that there was a really good story (by video game standards) that they wanted to say, but at the same time people in the company were pushing it towards appeasing the target audience. Shame, but what can you do. That's business for you.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.