AERO FIGHTERS / SONIC WINGS 1 2 3 Special - Hi-Score Thread

2D Shooters Invade
mjmjr25

Re: AERO FIGHTERS / SONIC WINGS 1 2 3 Special - Hi-Score Thr

Post by mjmjr25 »

Got some runs in today right after work and switched up my characters to make sure i'm using the best for my play style. My concern is that while I LOVE Kowful's power on bosses - he's very slow and has a straight ahead shot, so he is really tough to use after the first few stages - for the actual stage, though he's still a beast on bosses.

Switched up to Blazers for SW3 after seeing Fox's scores. I very much like the sideways shot and the speed increase. Scored a ton more points on stages 1-4/5/6, before I was dodging just to squeak through to the boss, but w/Blazers i'm killing most stuff on screen. The downside is the boss battles are taking much longer, and the 1-5 and beyond bosses are now much tougher.

Still, score improvement, SW3:
1,246,900 - mjmjr25 - 1-8 - Blazers - MVS

SW2, similar story, switched back to Hi-En and the ninja stars helped me get through stages 1-4 and 1-5 much easier. Stage 1-6 boss still ate me up.
461,100 - mjmjr25 - 1-6 - Hi-EN - MVS
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Yeah, they eat up the popcorn enemies pretty well, but nobody compares to Kowful & River's power.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

DocHauser wrote:Apparently there are secret characters in SW3, but the codes are a bit fiddly and I haven't been able to get them to work yet. Don't know if anyone else will have more luck...

Rabbit Punch lady is all right, she can only power up twice but her "bomb" is more like a "touch enemies to do damage" sort of thing which does a decent amount on the bosses. The Turbo Force guy is true to the game he was in, but his "bomb" is just a glowing rotating shield that only serves to protect you as you shoot, no extra damage.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Small improvement; still dying right at the beginning of 1-8. Stupid mini-boss.

AF3

1,373,000 - foxhound1022 - 1-8 - Blazers - NGCD
Last edited by foxhound1022 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:45 am, edited 10 times in total.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Just played some AF2, and made a definite improvement. Was a solid run, but I'm positive I can do better.

AF2

580,500 - foxhound1022 - 1-8 - Silver - NGCD
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

My 1 & 2 scores are secure and sure for the time being, so I'm going after the last two. It appears i'll have to switch back to Strikers after this, something about a wall that has 1-4 written on it :lol:

Aero Fighters 3
ExedExes - 1,203,200 - Chaika & Pooshka - 1-7 - MAME

I saw how well you all were doing with the Blazers, so I tried them too. Very nice ship, good balance of firepower, and great coverage. But, my score with them (over a million) fell short of my high score with Cindy & Ellen, and I didn't want the AF3 scoreboard to be like Strikers 1945 III with everyone using the X-36, so I figured I would try the Russians because I haven't used them yet here. They too have a double side shot and plenty of powerful & numerous missile spam covering the front side, and their "bomb" so to speak hangs around the screen much longer than the other ships do, so you can get up close and shoot the bosses much faster.

Aero Fighters Special
ExedExes - 384,800 - Lord White & Pictus - 1-4 - MAME

Lord White for the win, especially in THIS game. Wide normal shot, and napalm like explosions fanning out to the top of the screen, perfect for the smaller enemy planes, and does nice damage to the medium-strength enemies and bosses. His bomb is an larger, amplified version of those explosions with greater damage.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Eh, the X-36 is in a league of its own in regard to being far and a way a best ship (Strikers 1999). The ships in AF3 all are pretty equal playing field, i'm still back and forth with Breakers / Kowful & River / Whitey (Spanky).

I'm really enjoying all of these games in the two threads.

The SAT port of SWSpecial just seems a bit off, I can't place it, but everything else i'm loving. Particularly Strikers 1945 II and SW3.

I probably won't even get to Air Gallet for another couple weeks as I'm enjoying these so much.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Is it just me, or does the sound seem kinda off for SWS?

It seems like the sound lags a bit, and sometimes explosion sound FX doesn't even register at all.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

AERO FIGHTERS 2

DocHauser - 747,100 - Hi-en - 1-8 - MAME

That's more like it.
jepjepjep
24-bit

Post by jepjepjep »

Died at the last boss. I'm digging the wide shot of Blazers.

Aero Fighters 3
1,304,500 - jepjepjep - 1-8 - Blazers - MVS