Together Retro: Bubble Bobble

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Bubble Bobble

Post by ExedExes »

Nemoide wrote:I thought the "Let's Compare" for this game was really interesting I knew different consoles had different versions but I had no idea HOW different they were!

I contributed the Let's Compare link to the article. I believe in the series and subscribe to it, a new video comes out every week. It's a very fascinating look at how many ports had to be cut down to certain consoles & computers.

I played this again last night. Only got to round 15, but I got the E-X-T-E-N-D bubbles spelled out. It's almost like Mr.Do! (arcade) in that you get the extra life and skip the current round.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I love playing the NES version with my girlfriend. It's one of the funnest co-op experiences for the NES.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

ExedExes wrote:
Nemoide wrote:I thought the "Let's Compare" for this game was really interesting I knew different consoles had different versions but I had no idea HOW different they were!

I contributed the Let's Compare link to the article. I believe in the series and subscribe to it, a new video comes out every week. It's a very fascinating look at how many ports had to be cut down to certain consoles & computers.

As EE says, the thanks for that video link go straight to him :) He suggested it and was one of the last things added to the article.

I knew details on a multitude of ports but there were a few I was not acquainted with and some others that I (and others) were a bit foggy on. That video is great, although take care with a few things: the MegaDrive game is a bootleg (see my post on it earlier) and the "Windows" port mentioned in the video is actually the 2nd DOS port, the one that was done by Acclaim (the one marked as DOS in the video is a DOS port, but by Novalogic). The Acclaim version came in 3 platforms, Saturn, PS1 and DOS (not Windows). If you want to play it today you probably would resort to DOSBox. I think the rest is accurate.

Ivo.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I skimmed the article and missed the link initially! :oops:

Anyway, I defeated Super Drunk, which is pretty satisfying. Even if I'm promptly greeted with a text-only BAD END.

I'll have to try the TI-83 version at some point. I'm curious as to how playable it is.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Stage 25, 688200 (MAME).

I haven't been able to break 700k in the arcade original. I think I'm too used to the different bubble "physics" of the various homeports I played and the arcade is pretty hectic (my memory may be playing tricks on me, but one I think bubbles trap monsters for longer in the home versions I'm used to). Great game!

It's funny that in the arcade version you can't continue if you are playing solo. Really geared for co-op. One player may still continue but presumably would need to swap between the dragons to do it (unless I'm missing something).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I need to get back into this soon, though I have been playing way too much Puzzle Bobble on NGPC which is still related. :)
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

I love Puzzle Bobble! I once played 90 or so levels in a single run. So addictive.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

damn, I really find Bubble Bobble unbelievably hard in 1-Player mode. I seriously can't get past level 15. I might try to get a copy of Bust-A-Move 2 on Saturn instead haha.
god
64-bit

Post by god »

Nemoide wrote:I'm 80-something levels into the SMS version and will probably beat it later today.

I wouldn't get too cocky about this. After level 150, you are playing levels from earlier in the game but with the entire level invisible. As in, all the platforms are black on a black background. It is pretty absurd.

I have played this game a heap of times over the years, the NES port as a kid and later on the SMS. I also picked up a copy of Taito legends a few weeks ago and have arrived at the bad ending on that one. I don't think I've ever played it one player though! I need a willing player 2, but I know a few of them. The SMS version is definately the most fun in terms of what seems like the complete random-ness of item placement and just odd, odd power-ups.

I'm pretty sure that on all levels which end in a 0 or a 5, all the left over bubbles will turn into items at the end. You can also trigger this by having the second last digit of your score be a 0 or a 5. This is very easy to do in 2 player, since you get 10 points for popping a bubble, so when your enemies are all in bubbles, one player stands up against the wall popping bubbles to set the score correctly, while the other player finishes the level.

Also, for those that haven't worked it out, when you pick up a cane you will get a gigantic treat at the end of the level. There is another item that triggers it as well, I'm thinking its a treasure chest?
Big Zenny Hustler
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Hang in there, Noise. I can give you strategies for the first 20 levels at least.

On 15, playing solo, you should quickly jump and "kiss" the leftmost enemy, without going to that platform. Then run under the other 2 baddies, and when you are to the right of them jump, turn left and encase the rock-throwing one, try to burst it right away (but if you can't it may not be bad), then do the same for the other. If one or either of them floats away it may make the next part harder. Go up through the right part of the level and wait for a bubble carrying water to appear and float to above you. Now wait for a moment when it is safe without robots near that bubble, and just jump directly below it to burst it with your up-facing scale. The stream should kill all or 3 enemies. If one is left you throw a bubble and jump on it to get on the platform and finish the level.

I'm pretty sure that on all levels which end in a 0 or a 5, all the left over bubbles will turn into items at the end.

Correct.

Also, for those that haven't worked it out, when you pick up a cane you will get a gigantic treat at the end of the level. There is another item that triggers it as well, I'm thinking its a treasure chest?

Correct. Canes are fairly frequent and give stuff that is around 10k to 30k, chests are rarer but give diamonds that are worth 50k or so.