Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by brunoafh »

Gamerforlife wrote:You'd think a project with Hideo Kojima's involvement would have a bit more originality

Hey now, Hideo Kojima had nothing to do with that game. Kojima Productions had little to do with the game period, it was outsourced.
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Xeogred wrote:
sabrage wrote:
Xeogred wrote:It looked better than GoW games, but that's not saying much at all to me.

You must have impossibly high standards for graphics. All three GoW games look incredible, and GOW3 is a better showcase for the PS3 than even Uncharted.

I remember disregarding the 3D Castlevanias when I was first getting in to the series as the reviews led me to believe I wouldn't like them, but I didn't think I'd like old-school Castlevanias either so I'll probably give them a shot eventually.

I wasn't talking about graphics, lol. Just in general.

GoW ruined the action genre to me and I hate Kratos a good bit. I watched my friends play a lot of GoW3 and I'm not touching it, the game was so scripted it was ridiculous. It's also probably why I am not a huge fan of the Uncharted games or can only play them for like 30 minutes at a time. The gameplay is so barebones, I don't care how ridiculous the action segments can be a look, if the game is just a one way ticket on rails experience I'll get bored really fast.

I've always preferred the DMC and Ninja Gaiden series, but God of War is fun if you just want to be a total dick in-game.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Flake wrote:
Xeogred wrote:It definitely beats Lords of Shadows.

Lol, I actually ordered that from Amazon yesterday. It was priced in that sweet spot, less than $20. No clue about the gameplay but the sound track seems pretty epic.

i paid like $18 shipped on ebay and it had a code to redeem in it for symphony of the night on xbla. seemed like too good a deal to pass up. its not a bad game at all. man i really wish castlevania adventure rebirth would come out on xbla and psn i refuse to download stuff (legally) on wii the DRM just sucks on it
Last edited by ninjainspandex on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Yeah, at that sub $20 range there are a lot of games I begin to consider that I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. It's a magical number. No clue if mine comes with SotN download code but that would be very keen if it did.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Xeogred wrote:
sabrage wrote:
Xeogred wrote:It looked better than GoW games, but that's not saying much at all to me.

You must have impossibly high standards for graphics. All three GoW games look incredible, and GOW3 is a better showcase for the PS3 than even Uncharted.

I remember disregarding the 3D Castlevanias when I was first getting in to the series as the reviews led me to believe I wouldn't like them, but I didn't think I'd like old-school Castlevanias either so I'll probably give them a shot eventually.

I wasn't talking about graphics, lol. Just in general.

GoW ruined the action genre to me and I hate Kratos a good bit. I watched my friends play a lot of GoW3 and I'm not touching it, the game was so scripted it was ridiculous. It's also probably why I am not a huge fan of the Uncharted games or can only play them for like 30 minutes at a time. The gameplay is so barebones, I don't care how ridiculous the action segments can be a look, if the game is just a one way ticket on rails experience I'll get bored really fast.

Amen brother! I consider Uncharted to be the single most overrated series on the market today
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Admittedly I like watching my friend play Uncharted, but that's usually a one day thing. So when 3 came out, I just did the same thing again and watched him apparently play like 90% of the game in a few hours. I really have no desire to ever play it myself though. I did both with 2, and can probably say I enjoyed watching it more rather than playing... lol.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Xeogred wrote:Admittedly I like watching my friend play Uncharted, but that's usually a one day thing. So when 3 came out, I just did the same thing again and watched him apparently play like 90% of the game in a few hours. I really have no desire to ever play it myself though. I did both with 2, and can probably say I enjoyed watching it more rather than playing... lol.

thats probably because they play out like a big budget action adventure movie lol
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

i think castlevania lords of shadow is going to suffer the same fate as starfox adventure. both were games that had the name of a game series that the gameplay did not represent but both were decent games that got for worse rap then they deserved.
Flake

Post by Flake »

ninjainspandex wrote:i think castlevania lords of shadow is going to suffer the same fate as starfox adventure. both were games that had the name of a game series that the gameplay did not represent but both were decent games that got for worse rap then they deserved.

It's all about making that jump. Symphony of the Night radically changed the whole deal but it has come to be welcome as a part of Castlevania and has helped guide the direction of the series for over a decade and a half.

And Starfox Adventure is freaking amazing. Why people hate on that game is beyond me.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Flake wrote:
ninjainspandex wrote:i think castlevania lords of shadow is going to suffer the same fate as starfox adventure. both were games that had the name of a game series that the gameplay did not represent but both were decent games that got for worse rap then they deserved.

It's all about making that jump. Symphony of the Night radically changed the whole deal but it has come to be welcome as a part of Castlevania and has helped guide the direction of the series for over a decade and a half.

And Starfox Adventure is freaking amazing. Why people hate on that game is beyond me.

the irony is the same people are often the same people who hate the call of duty and madden games because they are the same game year after year but change something in castlevania and they lose their shit lol