Current gen hidden gems

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Robonaut
8-bit

Re: Current gen hidden gems

Post by Robonaut »

I'd say that Operation: Darkness (not to be confused with THE Darkness) on the Xbox 360 is a hidden gem.

It's really quite a fantastic SRPG, and it's Weird War II setting is at the same time highly accurate (tons of different real WW2 infantry weapons to wield) and completely fantastical (werewolves shooting dragons with Panzerfausts, FTW!).
r0bot j0nes
16-bit

Post by r0bot j0nes »

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. Seriously fun action-RPG/dungeon crawler.

Satisfying combat, tons of character builds and skills, lest you Min/Max like no other, and the campaign will take a while, though the story is forgettable.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

If we're talking "this gen" as in ... circa 2005 to now for PC and then the current gen libraries ...

For Wii ... Kore Gang. It just came out not too long ago ... maybe a year or so. It's a old style 3D platformer. Apparently, it was in development hell for over tens years, originally set to be an Xbox title. It's a decent game.

I agree with Spyborgs also. It's good stuff, nothing amazing, though. But it's like $6 for a new age Capcom beat-em up (motion controls are optional, also)

PS3. Folklore is also a pretty unique and good game that no one played.

360. There's a few that I think are hidden gems on 360 ... but most people would just argue they're "bad games" ... I don't agree, they're not going to be like Shawshank Redemption where everyone just took their brains out the day it came out, but they still deserve a look. WarTech is a interesting action game, it might fill some fighting and shooter needs, I haven't really played a game like it. But if you don't like "ultra japanese" games too much, you probably won't like it. Project Sylpheed, people, I think, expected something else from this game. Again, nowhere near perfect, but it's a fun space shooter. It's definitely ignored and somewhat hidden.

PC has a few. The Ship. It's a multiplayer assassination game. There's a spiritual sequel by the same developer which is even LESS known of, also, Blood Good Time, which is also on XBLA and was the developers final game.
Jamestown. It's been included in multiple humble bundles ... but people still seem to ignore this game. It's a revolutionary war SHMUP ... on Mars.

The last game I'll mention isn't a hidden gem at all ... everyone heard of it. But no one actually played it. And it seems most people who did, didn't understand it or what it was trying to do. Brink. If you're a fan of Enemy Territory ... then you'll probably love this game ... if everyone and their grandmother didn't automatically dismiss it when it came out. If you see it on sale ... give it a shot. Sadly, now, you'll likely have to play with bots until you can gather enough people who own it and like it. But I think this game is in dire need of a second look by people. It's good stuff.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Robonaut wrote:I'd say that Operation: Darkness (not to be confused with THE Darkness) on the Xbox 360 is a hidden gem.

It's really quite a fantastic SRPG, and it's Weird War II setting is at the same time highly accurate (tons of different real WW2 infantry weapons to wield) and completely fantastical (werewolves shooting dragons with Panzerfausts, FTW!).

Nice!
I thought it had a steep learning curve somewhat, but I like the premise as you mentioned.

How 'bout Spectral Force 3, I actually really liked this one as well. Someone mentioned WarTech, its cool but I couldnt beat the end boss.. like ever!
I've probably mentioned Saboteur a bunch too, but cant stress enough how much this game is good.
And last but not least Deadly Premonition, even tho around us we mostly adored this one, but mainly went unnoticed till it started making waves in the underground. Now were getting a Directors cut!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

yomomma1 wrote: Image

I don't know if this is a hidden gem, but you should probably keep that mouse pad hidden under your mattress.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I didn't like Brink. Just too floaty and looks like a souped-up mod.. Even on local play the bots appear to lag :? but I guess it's another one of those divisive games.

What of the Alice sequel? A third-person action/adventure title lives or dies by its camera controls.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Playing Import Tuner Challenge for 360, pretty fun game, this could be a hidden gem as far as racing goes.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

Singularity. It played like a fusion of a last-gen shooter and Bioshock. Cool bosses, gimmicky (but neat) time-bending effects, a pretty engaging plot, and explosive bullet bullet-time.
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4