Re: Electronic Music Thread

Post by TSTR »

TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Groupees has a synthwave bundle going on right now:
https://groupees.com/future80s

$2 for all that is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

TSTR wrote:Groupees has a synthwave bundle going on right now:

Anyone you'd recommend listening to if I'm a fan of Lazerhawk, Perturbator, Kavinsky and Power Glove?
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

((Wrong thread..))
Last edited by Sano on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

JoeAwesome wrote:

Anyone you'd recommend listening to if I'm a fan of Lazerhawk, Perturbator, Kavinsky and Power Glove?

If you mean from this bundle specifically, then the Cluster Buster and Python Blue records should be right up your alley.
Ack

Post by Ack »

TSTR wrote:
JoeAwesome wrote:

If you mean from this bundle specifically, then the Cluster Buster and Python Blue records should be right up your alley.

I enjoy all of these along with Carpenter Brut, Megadrive, and Miami Nights 1984. You might also check out Com Truise, Dynatron, Compilerbau, Droid Bishop, or MK Ultra.

I listen to this kind of thing when I write, typically with a song picked out for whatever chapter I'm on to help me with mood. Heck, I was writing last night to one of TSTR's tracks.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

teehee u make me blush bb
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

TSTR wrote:If you mean from this bundle specifically, then the Cluster Buster and Python Blue records should be right up your alley.

Yeah, I left it open-ended to see if you'd recommend those in the bundle or maybe those outside the bundle.

Ack wrote:I enjoy all of these along with Carpenter Brut, Megadrive, and Miami Nights 1984. You might also check out Com Truise, Dynatron, Compilerbau, Droid Bishop, or MK Ultra.

I listen to this kind of thing when I write, typically with a song picked out for whatever chapter I'm on to help me with mood. Heck, I was writing last night to one of TSTR's tracks.

Nightride FM (fake GTA V station) has helped me branch out to others like Com Truise, Miami Nights 1984, Le Cassette and Mitch Murder, but I'll check out both user's recs. I got excited for MK Ultra, but then I found out, it's not the MK Ultra.

I've not been a fan of the music for very long, nor was I really interested in it, but it's good driving music for my road trips (Redline album by Texas native Lazerhawk) or good office music where I focus on the music rather than the vocals, if that makes sense. Put another way, I'd rather listen to music than sing along to it at work.

It's honestly got me wanting to make music (I'm sure I've mentioned this before), but is there an easy (ie. cheap) way of making music without buying or trialing FL? I've thought about using PSP drum kit homebrew programs because it was more intuitive than anything I've messed with on PC (and because how often have you heard of a song being made with a PSP?), but I'm open to any ideas on this front, as well.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Also try Dan Terminus, Dance With The Dead, GOST, Starforce, Sellorekt/LA Dreams, Plaisance...man, I could go on forever. Check out my Soundcloud page and then go look at the people I'm following for a treasure trove. Also keep an eye on http://synthetix.fm and http://neonvice.com, though NeonVice also posts a bunch of vaporwave too.

As far as the making music goes, I myself use Reason, but that's a paid app. You could try using Reaper and searching for some free VSTs to plugin and use as soft synths.

EDIT: Also, is anyone stoked about the new Zombi album coming out? I already put in a pre-order.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

JoeAwesome wrote:It's honestly got me wanting to make music (I'm sure I've mentioned this before), but is there an easy (ie. cheap) way of making music without buying or trialing FL? I've thought about using PSP drum kit homebrew programs because it was more intuitive than anything I've messed with on PC (and because how often have you heard of a song being made with a PSP?), but I'm open to any ideas on this front, as well.

Video game based music tools:
MTV Music Generator (PS1)- probably the best software (video game/console based) program you can get. Good for beginners and pros. Basically can make full songs and dig deeper for more control, even editing new sounds and samples for unique sound. Memory is limited so you would have to record a song and probably erase it. Game tends to glitch if too much data per song. PC version is definite version and more robust (but dated by today's standards). MTV 2, 3 are watered down but maybe able to mess around still (I have).

Korg DS- I haven't tried but know it's a synth program controlled through your DS and multiple DS units can be bridged/synced together for full orchestra emulating multiple band members. Looks sweet would love to mess with it, but not keen on grabbing a few DS systems for it, although should work fine on its own as intended.

PC Studio Software-
Fruity Loops- I worked with once back in the days probably 99', I linked up with a classmate to show him how to sequence a pattern within 5 mins was making tracks, it helped he knew where to navigate but he was a happy camper to say the least.

Abelton Live- I actually own this live 9 standard with Push Controller, been on "Display" in my studio for 2 years now. Very powerful possibly the best program and industry standard at the moment, especially for electronic music. I just happen to be a hardware guy so I go to that mostly 99% of the time.

Other programs are probably all similar besides, context and work flow.

Hardware-
Around 12 I wanted to DJ, until I realized how it was all made. I found my calling I wanted to play my own creations and not really spin anyone else's tunes (but I still love DJs). I just happen to be a producer by nature, art and creativity have alway been a part of me. Typical picses such a dreamer. Lol

I started with a RadioShack concertmate 990 keyboard, super limited in the recording deptartment I was ready for an upgrade falling in love with Roland and my first professional Keyboard Roland JX-305, this keyboard was my mentor! Has everything for me at the time and confirmed what I wanted to do with myself. (I was 18ish).

I've owned numerous synths, drum machines, groove boxes etc ever since and find no better satisfaction than laying down a groove on the pads piecing parts together, tweeking knobs, recording slider movements, the whole 9. With proper instruction or patience you can do wonders with hardware.

Believe it or not many music enthusiast love seeing performances on such devices as it's very awesome to see a musician with skill and not just a laptop. imo software sucks but rightfully has a place. But the real boys use vinyl, 808s, 909s.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.