12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22
15. Cthulhu Saves Christmas - Switch - January 23
16. Armed 7 - Dreamcast - January 24
17. Satazius Next - Dreamcast - January 24
18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25

19. Metal Slug 1st Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 25

Metal Slug is one of SNK's most beloved series, so when their handheld game system came out back in the 90s, they obviously had to put a Metal Slug game on there. Being a 90s handheld system, Metal Slug 1st Mission for the Neo Geo Pocket is obviously SIGNIFICANTLY scaled back from its arcade roots, but despite the hardware limitations, it still manages to feel pretty authentically Metal Slug. As a disclaimer, the screenshots are from the Switch release included in Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Vol 1 since I can't capture screenshots from my actual Neo Geo Pocket.

One of the most impressive things about this first handheld Metal Slug game is its length. Not all of the levels are super long, but there are seventeen levels in the game. Most of the main series games have somewhere around half a dozen levels, and while those levels are longer, they're also running on much more capable hardware. Considering that the Neo Geo Pocket was a Game Boy contemporary, 1st Mission has an impressive amount of content. The controls aren't nearly as smooth as on the MVS, but they work surprisingly well given the system's limited button inputs. You obviously move with the thumbstick on the left. With the A and B buttons, one is jump and one is fire. The option button lets you switch between your gun and grenades. An inelegant control scheme, but it works and makes the most of the buttons available.

You play as an unnamed "Hero" although everyone who's familiar with the series immediately knows that it's Marco. After you finish the game, you unlock a female to play as, but she plays exactly the same with absolutely no changes whatsoever to the story. The missions are all fairly straight forward. With most of them, you just have to kill your way to the end, although there are some where you have to fight your way to a boss whom you have to kill, and there's one super cool mission where you're on a little handcar and have to catch up to the front of a moving cargo train. The sprites aren't amazing, but they look fine especially considering the hardware. The audio is the same; it's certainly not bad, but it's not going to impress you with the sound effects or the music.

Metal Slug 1st Mission definitely doesn't stand up to its arcade counterparts, but as a 90s handheld game, it's extremely competent. When you consider the fact that there are 17 missions, it's a more robust offering than a lot of handheld games of the era. It can be pretty tough until you get a handle on the controls, although the Switch port definitely makes that less of an issue with the ability to remap buttons as well as a rewind function. Whether you play on SNK's nearly 30 year old handheld or Nintendo's newest handheld, it's a game worth playing.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2022

Post by Limewater »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Whether you play on SNK's nearly 30 year old handheld or Nintendo's newest handheld, it's a game worth playing.

It came out in 1999. It's coming up on 23 years old. We don't need you help to feeling older!
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I'm always impressed by the incredible number of games ElkinFencer10 manages to finish in a short amount of time. I haven't even finished ONE game for 2022. Though I guess that's partially because I'm investing time into other hobbies lately (watching lots of martial arts movies) and the fact that I easily get distracted whenever I'm playing a game by some other game :lol:

Just today I learned about two games I want to play, and I haven't finished the last four I've started :lol:

I'm still in the midst of playing The Artful Escape, The Wild at Heart, Chorus, and Fuga: Melodies of Steel
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Limewater wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Whether you play on SNK's nearly 30 year old handheld or Nintendo's newest handheld, it's a game worth playing.

It came out in 1999. It's coming up on 23 years old. We don't need you help to feeling older!

Oh damn, I was thinking it was mid 90s. Sorry about that, and thanks for the correction! As for the number of games I beat, a lot of this month's games were really short ones sitting in my backlog that I played while Installing 7 terabytes of PS4 games to my PS5's new external HDD. :lol:

Games Beaten in 2021 - 20
* denotes a replay

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Project MIKHAIL: A Muv-Luv War Story - Steam - January 1
2. Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch - January 9
3. Halo 2600 - Atari 2600 - January 10
4. Cruis'n Blast - Switch - January 13
5. Alan Wake - PlayStation 5 - January 15
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Xbox 360 - January 15
7. Apsulov: End of Gods - Playstation 5 - January 16
8. Captain U - Wii U - January 16
9. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox One - January 17
10. JankBrain - Switch - January 22
11. Would You Like to Run an Idol Café - Switch - January 22
12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22
15. Cthulhu Saves Christmas - Switch - January 23
16. Armed 7 - Dreamcast - January 24
17. Satazius Next - Dreamcast - January 24
18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25
19. Metal Slug 1st Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 25
20. Metal Slug 2nd Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 26

20. Metal Slug 2nd Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 26

Metal Slug 1st Mission was a good handheld adaptation of the Metal Slug series, but it very much felt "good" rather than "great." That's almost completely remedied in Metal Slug 2nd Mission. Pretty much everyone about the game is improved here, and it's one of the best examples of a sequel done right that I've played lately. As a disclaimer, the screenshots are from the Switch release included in Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Vol 1 since I can't capture screenshots from my actual Neo Geo Pocket.

The first major change worth noting is that there are two playable characters, a dude and a chick. You'll get some different story tidbits throughout the game depending on which character you pick, and while I haven't played through the game enough times to test this fully, what stages you play seems to depend at least in part on your character of choice. There are just over three dozen stages, and they seem to be mostly split down the middle with a few shared between the two. Considering that the previous game had seventeen stages, that's a big improvement. The game also looks and sounds significantly nicer with better graphics, sound effects (including some great explosion sounds and lot of voice work), and music.

One of the improvements between 1st Mission and 2nd Mission that will most often benefit players is the improved weapon diversity. In addition to the airplane and the titular Metal Slug, there's also a submarine that you use in a couple of missions. Your array of weapon drops is expanded as well with some truly awesome weapons like the flamethrower and missile launcher, two of the most powerful weapons in the game. You'll need the added firepower, too, as the bosses seemed to take way more damage to destroy compared to the previous game. You'll also have aliens to contend with in the latter half of the game in addition to the regular human enemies.

etal Slug 2nd Mission is a huge improvement on the previous game in pretty much every way. There's still a lot of slow down when things get really busy on screen, and this is especially common when you're using the missile launcher, but even with the slow down, it's an extraordinarily fun game that definitely surpasses my expectations. The Neo Geo Pocket is pretty much the best handheld for arcade titles up until the DS or arguably the 3DS, and that definitely shows with games like this. Metal Slug 2nd Mission pushes SNK's little handheld to its limits, and it definitely deserves your attention.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

THE LIST:
1. Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
2. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
3. Freedom Planet (Switch)
4. Aleste (PS4)
5. Gunpey DS (DS)
6. GG Aleste (PS4)
7. Dr. Mario (GB)
8. Motor Toon Grand Prix (PS1)
9. PaRappa the Rapper (PS1)
10. GG Aleste II (PS4)
11. Power Strike II (PS4)
12. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (3DS)

12. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (3DS) - I never heard of this game until last year: I've been slowly catching up with the Retronauts podcast and they mentioned this one on their Warioware episode and sold me on it by describing the premise as "like Warioware hosted by a sad divorced dad" and "you don't play anything like baseball in this game". That description isn't entirely accurate, but it's close enough! The game is free to download but you should get it with the intention of spending an extra ~$16 on the game. Your character (Mii) lives next to Rusty Slugger's Sports Shack - a store that sells baseball gear run by a middle aged dog whose business isn't doing so hot, his wife is absent, and he's trying to raise ten puppies that he can't tell apart from each other. Since selling baseball equipment isn't working out, he's bought up a bunch of Nontendo 4DS systems and baseball-themed games for them to sell. You start with a demo, but each game costs $4 real money... BUT you can (and the game encourages this) haggle him down to get a REAL DEAL on those games! (They usually end up costing $1.50-$2.00.) The haggling process is a lot of fun, you basically can't lose at it, and buying games progresses the story. Eventually you find out what happened with Rusty's wife and you end up with a nice collection of minigames. Each "game" you buy is itself a collection of minigames, usually tied around one or two mechanics - there's one where you hit pitches, another where you volley a baseball between two batters (controlling both of them), another where you catch balls, one where you're an umpire, one where you use the 3DS gyro controls, one where you make a bat, and some others. It's pretty fun and there's definitely loads of content: after completing enough minigames, you unlock different high score challenges and advanced minigames.
It's a pretty fun game with a lot of good humor and some of the rarely seen weird side of Nintendo. But I also think a good number of those minigames are kind of repetitive and they can get frustratingly difficult. I'll probably keep fooling around and doing more, but I don't see myself trying to unlock every costume in the game or anything. It's definitely not as good as Warioware, but I do appreciate it for being weird.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021

1. Underworld Ascendant - PC
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
3. Ni no Kuni - PS3
4. Operencia: The Stolen Sun - PC
5. RPM Racing - PC
6. Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem - PC
7. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch

Pokemon has been going for a long time, but Pokemon Legends: Arceus seeks to take the franchise in a new direction. It asks the question "what would Pokemon be like if we took the 'catch monsters' premise and made it today?" And overall it's an interesting experiment. There's some problems, but it is a fresh take on things.

The game starts with the player character being tossed through time by Arceus into the past of the Pokemon world. It's roughly Meiji-era Japan rather than modern Japan, and there's a lot of call forwards to things we would see in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. At this stage people are only starting to really understand pokemon, and pokeballs have only just been developed. So Pokemon are no longer restricted to tall grass and people are much more ambivalent towards them. You get caught up in the survey work, but then the space time rift that flung you back in time starts to have an effect on the world and you will need to fix it.

Now, while the basic premise of "there's a bunch of monsters in the world, you can capture them and have fights", but now it sets it in a continuous third person world. It's not quite a full open world, as it's divided into several large zones that are locked behind story gates, but it takes a lot from that style. The pokemon wander around, and come in three basic flavors. One type ignores you, one type is scared of you, and one type attacks you. But the interesting thing about pokemon attacking you is that they attack you, the player character. You're free to run away from them in real time, and if you take too much damage too fast you get knocked out. But rather than running you can instead toss out one of your pokemon and have a battle. So traversal doesn't require you to chug Repels like the mainline games if you don't want to fight.

Now, since you're doing a pokemon survey it's not enough to just capture each pokemon. You need to accumulate 10 points worth of research on each pokemon. This is from capturing, beating, seeing them use certain moves, and a bunch of others. You can do a lot of this capturing outside battle, which is nice, and pokeballs are plentiful, so toss away. When you do enough pokemon research you rank up, which replaces gym badges in terms of unlocking stuff. You get access to better pokeballs and can have higher leveled pokemon. It's also required to be a certain rank to move on in the story.

Another thing you'll notice is that the battle system has been changed. The first is that everything is much more deadly; it appears that level is not a major component of the damage formula and everything is rebalanced off of that. As a result a pokemon 20 levels below you can still two shot you when hitting weakness, which is very much not the case for the mainline games. The other major change is how turns work. Rather than both characters choosing their moves and then playing it out by speed, now there is a I go you go system, with the ability for speed to allow a double turn now and then. You also have the option of making a move faster and weaker or slower and stronger to manipulate the turn order a bit more (though taking advantage of those means you spend more PP). This turn system also means that when you eliminate an enemy pokemon and another changes in they immediately get to go. Coupled with how deadly everything is and you'll find that many trainer battles end up going each player knocking out the other, and every once in a while having a good defensive matchup. Personally, I think the combat could have used a balance pass.

Overall Pokemon Legends: Arceus is an interesting experiment in reexamining the series. It definitely could use another pass to remove a bit of tedium and really rebalance the combat feeling, but I could definitely see myself playing another game in this style. If you've found the series to be a bit too samey for you then consider picking this one up.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2021 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
* indicates a repeat

1. Dandy Dungeon: The Legend of Brave Yamada (Switch)
2. Dandy Dungeon 2: The Phantom Bride (Switch)
3. Mon Amor (Switch)
4. Terraria (PC)

5. Puppeteer (PS3) *

I last played this game nearly a decade ago not too long after it came out. I got it for cheap on PSN, though for the life of me I can't remember what prompted me to pick it up in the first place, or how I even came to know about it. That was probably the case for most people, really, since late 2013 was quite a busy time for big releases, and Puppeteer just got lost in the shuffle despite being so good. It's something I've been meaning to replay for a while, and now I finally have~. This is yet another game that doesn't count your playtime, so my rough guess is that I spent like 7 or 8 hours beating the main game, and then I spent about that same amount of time achievement hunting because I just didn't wanna stop playing x3

Puppeteer is the story of a little boy named Kutaro. The moon was once a peaceful place where the souls of children went when they embarked on their dreams, but that was before the powerful Moon Bear King stole the dark moon crystal, smashed the light moon crystal, and sealed away the moon goddess. Now the moon is a frightful, totalitarian place run by the Moon Bear King and his generals, where they steal away the souls of earth children to eat! Kutaro is one such child, although he escapes the fate of all the other lost souls even once the MBK eats his head! He's given a new head by the helpful Ying Yang the cat, and with the help of the moon witch, he steals the MBK's magical scissors Calibrus, and sets off on a quest to set the moon kingdom right again.

Puppeteer has the plot of a children's story book, and that's absolutely intended. The whole thing is literally laid out like a puppet show, with little wooden you running across a stage as you interact with other craft-made characters, enemies, and objects as you hop from scene to scene. It's a very tongue-in-cheek silly story full of wacky characters for Kutaro and his pixie friend the sun princess to bounce off of. Some of it sadly does wander into the area of casual racism and homophobia, but it's of the very casual "culture as a costume"-approach for world/level design that so SO many games do, so it's not really experience ruining. It doesn't really have any larger themes its exploring, and is mostly just here to give a good silly time, and it does a pretty bang up job at that.

The gameplay of Puppeteer is a platformer that a lot of my friends who saw me play it compared immediately to Little Big Planet. I think that comparison is quite apt, though Puppeteer differs in that there are no planes to swap through and it also controls much better. There are a couple dozen quite long levels to go through with very generous extra life amounts and checkpoints present. There are also lots of fun boss battles that are really well put together as well. You snip and fly through the air by comboing hits with Calibrus, and it makes for a really fun and quick-paced way to fly through levels if you're so inclined, and it makes for a really snappy action-platforming experience that's admittedly much more platforming than it is action at the end of the day.

The story and mechanics of Puppeteer are fun, but the presentation is one place it shines very VERY well. Very much like one of the more recent Paper Mario games, the attention to detail in bringing a world to life that still looks like its made of stage props is SO well done it does an amazing job of really bringing the whole "stage play" aesthetic to life. The voice acting is also really campy and well done, and adds a ton to that pantomime-esque feel as well~. Many of my friends were surprised to hear that it was a PS3 game with how nice it looks, and the music is also absolutely excellent to boot.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. A lot of people slept on Puppeteer because of when it came out, but that's a darn shame! It's a really excellent action/platformer with really fun writing and a great aesthetic. It's pretty easily picked up for cheap these days too, so it's totally worth tracking down if you want a memorable and fun way to spend a weekend on your PS3~.

----

6. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon (PS1)

A friend of mine recently played through the second Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon game on PS1 (the one that actually came out in English), and him talking about it got me the bug to play some more Mystery Dungeon myself. I thought why not start with the Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon game that never came out in English, and thankfully both games are really common and cheap to pick up here in Japan~. It took me about 8 hours to play through the main game on real hardware, with another hour or two spent dabbling in the post-game stuff (which in grand Mystery Dungeon fashion is very expansive and also MUCH harder, so I didn't complete it all XP).

CMD's story is pretty simple and straightforward. A Chocobo (you!) and his moogle friend come to a small village hunting treasure, but one of the farmers (who is also a Chocobo) suddenly comes across a strange stone in his field. Upon touching it, he's suddenly taken over by the spirit inside, and mysteriously vanishes. The Chocobo & Moogle team try to check in at the inn (oddly run by this farmer) but are tricked into actually entering a mystery dungeon! They decide to stick around and try and not only hunt for treasure, but try to rescue the missing farmer too (he has a cute Chocobo daughter, after all! x3). It's very much a simple story just here to set up the action, but the small amount of dialogue that is there is a nice blend of informative (which is very appreciated for this style of game) and quirky fun that fits the bill just right for what it needs to accomplish~.

Given that this is only the 3rd Mystery Dungeon game to come out on consoles, I figured it'd be pretty hard but also quite conventional without many bells and whistles, and I was actually wrong on both counts! Balance-wise, the main game is actually a really reasonable experience that never feels very unfair. It's a quite typical Mystery Dungeon game in a lot of ways (you have equipment to find and upgrade and combine into new stuff if you want, you can find money to spend in town, you have a persistent level, the effects of equipment/potions/scrolls are unknown until you try them in that run of the dungeon), but it is also very different in a lot of ways.

For starters, quite different to a lot of later Mystery Dungeon games, you only have one 30 floor dungeon to complete. That's the main game. They even make it a lot easier by giving you a special scroll that lets you not only evacuate the dungeon but also go right back to the floor you were at when you wanna re-enter! This game does have a hunger mechanic, but it goes down SO slowly that I really never found it a problem with how you have the teleportation to go back and forth to town at will whenever you want. That all combined with the persistent level and the way that your magic tomes level up a persistent magic stat as you use that particular tome more and more made this a much more fair and balanced experience than I was expecting.

Sure, there are still some issues with some steep difficulty spikes here, and there, but even that is mitigated by the game's most defining, strange, and perhaps a bit not entirely thought out feature: the active time battle system. That's right, just like a normal Final Fantasy game of the era (and notably, unlike its own sequel), this game has ATB for its battles. How that basically works is that once an enemy either notices you or you attack it, a gauge starts filling up above the attacker's head with the move they wanna do. Your speed stat makes this amount go down, and stronger attacks generally take longer while weaker ones are faster. It's a very interesting way to make one of these games, but it's also very easy to just break. The ATB messes with how enemies movement systems work, so a really valid strategy, especially if you have a reliable amount of ranged attacks, is to get in, bop them, then RUN before their gauge fills up next to you so they can bop you back because their gauge will reset when they de-aggro from you. This doesn't work very well with post-game enemies (who usually either maintain their ATB between aggros or have such long range spells it doesn't matter), and it ultimately feels like a really half-baked execution of an interesting idea, but it definitely gives htis game its own unique flavor compared to just about every Mystery Dungeon game out there.

The presentation of the game is quite pretty. There's not much 3D used save for how the environments of the dungeons are constructed (and even then, they blend very well with the 2D sprites). Most everything is made of very pretty 2D sprites, and while they don't have a ton of animation, they're very well detailed and give the game a ton of personality. The music isn't super memorable, but this *is* a SquareSoft game, so it's at the very least pleasant to listen to while you play~.

Verdict: Recommended. This is a game with a fair few warts to its design, but it holds up remarkably well. If there's a fan translation out there or if you have the Japanese ability to read it yourself, this is a game you can enjoy quite easily despite its age. There are certainly more polished and better Mystery Dungeon games that have come out since this, but this one is unique and bite-sized enough that I still say it's worth playing all these years later.

----

7. Project Altered Beast (PS2)

This is a game that I had always heard was *awful* but never really expected to play. Then I saw a single manual-less copy at the resale mall and got a little excited to finally see what it was like, but then looked at the price tag and walked away. It wasn't THAT much, but more than I was willing to pay for what I'd been led to believe was a pretty bad time. Then a friend of mine offered to pay for it if I picked it up, and that was all the prompting I needed to go back to the mall and take the plunge xD. It took me about 13.5 hours to go through the Japanese version of the main game on real hardware and then mess around with the extras enough to unlock some of the post-game transformations.

PAB is the story of a muscle-bound, white-haired amnesiac who survives a helicopter crash-landing in a city filled with mutated monsters. He's about to be attacked by some of said monsters when suddenly he undergoes a transformation into a powerful werewolf and slaughters them all! He nearly dies from the exertion, when a mysterious woman approaches and is able to change him back, bringing him back from the brink of death. Solving the mysterious mutations as well as finding out your own identity and who this woman is is the quest you soon embark on in this very odd take on the Altered Beast property. Very much like a Blue Stinger or a God Hand, this game actually has no Japanese voice track despite being made by a Japanese team. Unlike those games, however, it doesn't really have the quantity to keep up with the quality. What's there IS very campy and silly fun (and very much feels like the sort of American action movie parody that Blue Stinger nails so well), but it's so few and far between that it's hard to call it much of a selling point. It mostly just does what it needs to to set up the action, but it's nice that it's also at least funny and entertaining while it's there.

The gameplay of PAB is a sort of brawler metroidvania, which is a fine idea, really, but it's just not really executed on very well here. You have a map to go around that seems quite linear at first, but it opens up a little around the halfway point. That said, that's mostly just in the sense that you can backtrack to get new powerups and such. You can't really sequence break at all. As you fight bosses, you acquire more monster transformations and special movement powers for those monsters that will allow you to access more and more areas. Those in and of themselves are pretty neat ideas. Throw that general gameplay loop in with how beating gate guardians gets you points to spend in a Musou-like combo skill tree, and you have the makings of a bit of a hidden gem on the PS2.

Well, you WOULD have the makings of a hidden gem, if the execution of all of this weren't so flawed. On the more minor end, you have generally rough signposting once you get to the 33%~50% progress point. There were a good few times an area was so big or a puzzle was so vague that I had to look up the solution on where to go next because I simply couldn't be bothered to trial and error anymore. For example, as the minotaur, your unlockable move via defeating a boss is a charge to break walls. You use this to break a wall in that boss's room to escape, and then there's a big flat wall that pushes you from the end of that next hallway. You would logically think that this is a time to use your new charge JUST right (it has a very big lead up) to get in the door at the end. No. You'd actually be incredible wrong to think that. Instead, you need to ACTUALLY use the minotaur's steel-transforming block move to repeatedly block the wall and slowly work your way down the corridor. This poor signposting extends to how to fight bosses and use super moves as well, which was less than fun, and that unclear-ness is definitely one of the biggest factors in making the game a generally not great time to play. It puts a hard timer on your ability to do trial and error, and getting more green transform juice back (especially during boss fights) can be an annoying and time-consuming pain when enemies generally don't infinitely respawn out of boss fights.

This is exacerbated VERY highly by the fact that you actually can't stay transformed indefinitely. You need to keep up a supply of green slime to stay safely transformed, because once you run out, it starts chewing through your health instead. Health is an uncommon drop from enemies or can be regained at save points, but green slime can only be siphoned from weakened enemies using a special move as the human, or it can be gotten in smaller amounts as a drop from most dead enemies. It makes being a big, powerful brawling monster a lot less fun than it should be because you're constantly trying to conserve your power because fighting as the human is a total waste of time because he's so squishy and weak. Adding on top of all that of that is that the hit detection is a bit too much less than perfect, controlling several often used and important mobility forms like the merman and bird are a bit too awkward a bit too often, and generally *every* transformation is worse at fighting than the werewolf (in a non-elemental situation), and you have a brawler that is frustrating just as often as it is satisfying.

The presentation is pretty good. The lab and outdoor environments look nice, and the animations and monster designs also look really cool. The animations for the werewolf were apparently so nice, Sega would even re-use them for Sonic's Werehog transformation in Sonic Unleashed (an eagle-eyed friend of mine who watched me play it pointed out x3). The music is also pretty good, but the way they use it isn't great. Each transformation has its own theme that plays when you're as it, so though you do get to hear those fun themes quite a lot, areas and levels don't really have music associated with them very much as a result.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. Especially if you don't mind looking up puzzle solutions when they get you stuck, this game is actually an alright time. It's definitely not worth hunting down particularly, because even AT BEST it is mediocre, but it's still a fun enough and quite interesting piece of Sega's history at the end of the day. Not super worth playing, but an enjoyable enough time if you're gonna sit down with it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

The Wild at Heart - PS 4

So this game is basically a Pikmin clone, with a decent story and some charming characters. It's fun in all the ways that Pikmin games are, but it does also have one of the most obnoxious aspects of those games, the annoying time constraints. You always have to return to a camp site before nightfall which is so fucking aggravating, If you are out in the wilderness at night, there's a powerful monster you have to deal with.

The save system also sucks. Like many modern games, this one frequently auto saves. This can really screw you over when you are in a bad spot (like stuck in the wilderness and wondering where some of your little guys are come nightfall). The game has back up saves, but 90% of the time they won't load unless you go back like three or four saves from your most recent one.

Sometimes I wish more modern games would just do manual saves, like old school games used to do, instead of saving your game at the worst possible time via auto saves. Why do modern games baby us so much? I can save of my own accord thank you very much.

But all that aside, it's basically Pikmin. So if you like those games than you'll like this one
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2022!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
2. Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Streets of Rage 4 (NS)
4. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Master Quest (GCN)

5. Dirge Of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2)

I beat Dirge Of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening!

As a Final Fantasy fanboy, I was always interested in playing Dirge of Cerberus, but I just never got around to it. I had never heard good things about the game and my PS2 Backlog had always been so giant that I never had the initiative to pick up a copy. Well, several years ago, I went to a local retro game convention and I was looking for a PS2 game to add. I was getting a little tired of the long RPG's I had for the console, so I wanted something different. Well, I decided upon Dirge of Cerberus and I found an almost pristine copy at the show. My hesitation kept it on the shelf until I decided I needed something quick for my final countdown and it would fit perfectly for me.

I had always heard that Dirge of Cerberus was a bad version of Devil May Cry. So, after playing both games, I have to say that I enjoyed Dirge more. DMC is much faster and I wouldn't say the games are similar, but I was pleasantly surprised by Dirge. It is a third person shooter, but I would say it moves more like Resident Evil 4 than Devil May Cry. The gameplay is much slower and more methodical. With that in the mind, the controls are pretty good once you get used to them. The shooting feels really great as switching and customizing your own weapons. I don't think it will win any awards, but the gameplay is solid. The graphics and tone are set right around Advent Children, so it has that vibe and feel to it. You get to see all of the Final Fantasy VII characters and some of them play a large role. Stunning graphics and good background music make the whole experience very enjoyable.

The game feels a little dated as you have long areas with no saving. With an auto-save, you just have to deal with the long levels. Also, the game is about 12 hours long and I would say half of the game is cut scenes. It is ridiculous how much story they throw in this tiny game and I think the game would be better if all that is trimmed. It is great seeing the Final Fantasy VII characters, but they all babble on for so long.

Overall, I had a shockingly good time with Dirge Of Cerberus. I don't think it will reach my Top Ten of the Year, but the game is a good solid pick. If you are a Final Fantasy fan, I would not hesitate to pick it up. If you like some action with your long movies, then you might want to give it a chance. You might actually like it!
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (NS)
2. Metal Slug 3 (XBO)
3. Wii Sports (Wii)
4. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (GEN)

5. Arc the Lad (PS)

Today I beat Arc the Lad from the original Playstation. Took about 11 and a half hours to see the ending of the first game in the series.

I became a huge fan of Shining Force(1 and 2) growing up, so when the Playstation and Saturn came out, Arc the Lad and Shining Force 3 were very much on my wishlist. Unfortunately I was never in the position to own either of those consoles when they were current, so I ended up missing out on them both for a very long time. I distinctly recall looking at gaming magazines and feeling very left out whenever Arc the Lad was mentioned.

Some years back I got the Arc the Lad Collection from a bunch of trade in value at a local store. Such a beautiful package and one of my favourite pieces in my collection. I felt it was way past due that I give the game a real try.

Arc the Lad is a fairly straightforward SRPG, with only 7 playable characters. It plays quite similarly to the Shining Force games, grid based with each character having a certain set of skills, some that heal, some that harm, some that target only a single square and some that have area of effect. One character is a little different, in that he can summon more allies, each with their own specialty.

The story is fairly simple - ancient evil sealed away is released, prophesied boy-hero comes just when needed. It does the job, though at times it seems to hint at greater depth that it doesn't really flesh out. Perhaps in the sequel(which is a direct follow-up from what I understand.) Graphics are generally very nice - I really like the sprite work and many of the set pieces are quite beautiful. On the flip side most of the cut scenes are very sparce with little colour, and some of the battlefields are a little ugly to my taste. Music is good, with some of the tunes giving a feeling of familiarity and nostalgia, taking me back to that era of RPGs.

The game isn't too difficult, though there are definitely some spikes as you move through the story. There are always opportunities to grind and characters seem to level pretty steadily. At the end with some commitment to staying ahead of the curve your party can be pretty beefy.

I enjoyed Arc the Lad. Not quite to the level I had dreamed about it my youth, but really the story isn't over yet, since Arc the Lad 2 continues the story of the same characters. I don't think I'll kick that off right away, but this prologue definitely didn't turn me off of it.