Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

lordb0rb4 wrote:Well, sure it's been a long time since i've posted here but it's indeed that WONDERFULL time of the year again!

First of all, congratulations AJ, may God bring happiness and love for both of you always.
It's my second Summer Games Challenge and oh boy i'm HYPED just by thinking about it, i'm on a roll this year gaming-wise, having beat 90 games to this date i'm sure this year will be one for the record.
This is what i have for now but i'm dying to hear from you guys:

New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) - Already playing it for the first time.I'm not a fan of side-scrolling games and Mario for the matter and i'm very unimpressed but i'm definitely beating this one.
Grand Theft Auto III - LTTP but that's what Summer Games Challenge is all about hum?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - HBO's Chernobyl set the mood and now it is time to finally see this one through
Air Combat (PS1) - Played and finished 3 modern Ace Combat this year and recently H.A.W.X and i'm dying to get acquainted with the origin of the series, is AC a good starting point or should i skip and play the second or third one?
Metroid Fusion - A good starting point and "easy" Metroid for newcomers i hope?
Mortal Kombat 2
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo / Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter / Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike - Played and beat Rogue Squadron 1 and Starfighter in 2018 and Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II this year (My Retro GOTY atm) i'm looking forward to play one or all of these.
Tenchu 2 - Tenchu 1 (DAT INTRO) was one of my favorite ps1 games but i totally skipped the sequel.
Star Wars: Republic Commando Star Wars + Rainbow Six you say!?!!?!
Zone of the Enders - Played a little game called Project Nimbus: Code Mirai and i'm hungry for more of that.

So guys, how am i looking this far? I apreciate any response in advance 8)

Tenchu 2 is not exactly a classic, but the rest look good to me!

I’m actually surprised how many of those I’ve beaten. NSMB is, as you’ve noted, just OK. GTAIII was great 18 years ago, and I have a ton of nostalgia for it. The same goes for ZoE, and I still love MKII, which is still a really fun fighting game. Metroid Fusion is an easy Metroid game, but I’m not sure it’s a great starting point for the series. I’d replace it with Metroid Zero Mission or Super Metroid 3.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'd argue that Fusion is actually a harder Metroid game for new people because the enemy damage is shockingly brutal. I'd say go with Zero Mission as your first Metroid, as it has enough guidance that you won't be hopelessly lost as can happen in Super and the enemy damage is a bit more fair than in Fusion.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

I see, how about Mortal Kombat 2, any specific port or Arcade is the way to go?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

lordb0rb4 wrote:I see, how about Mortal Kombat 2, any specific port or Arcade is the way to go?

Arcade is the way to go. Barring that, go with the Saturn version (if you prize graphics). Barring THAT...go with the SNES port (if you prize gameplay).
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
lordb0rb4 wrote:I see, how about Mortal Kombat 2, any specific port or Arcade is the way to go?

Arcade is the way to go. Barring that, go with the Saturn version (if you prize graphics). Barring THAT...go with the SNES port (if you prize gameplay).

Thank you!
Difficulty is ALWAYS #1 concern, how about that?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

lordb0rb4 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Thank you!
Difficulty is ALWAYS #1 concern, how about that?

MKII is, by default, pretty easy, and you can adjust the difficulty in most home versions to a point between “if you just keep pressing the punch button, you will win” and “literally impossible”.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Metroid: Zero Mission it is then, so, my final list is as follows:

.Mortal Kombat 2 (Arcade, 1993)
.Air Combat (Playstation, 1995)
.Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins (Playstation, 2000)
.Star Wars: Battle for Naboo (PC, 2001)
.Grand Theft Auto III (PC, 2002)
.Metroid: Zero Mission (Game Boy Advance, 2004)
.Star Wars: Republic Commando (Xbox, 2005)
.New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS, 2006)

.Zone of the Enders (Playstation 3, 2013)

@alienjesus, are you really playing MGS4 this year? Man, such an amazing experience, it was my first PS3 and last generation game i've ever played...it was trully unbelievable.

.S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC, 2007) - EDIT: Unfortunately i have leave STALKER out for now, i was going to play alongside a friend of mine in a project of ours but because of time contraints it won't be possible, have to add another classic now. :cry:
Last edited by lordb0rb4 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nobody says no, but I'm also going to step in and say S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a classic on the PC from it's generation. I recommend patching it fully and then looking into the fan patches, because the game is hideously buggy. The patches improve stability immensely, though they also implement ideas that were supposed to be in the game but weren't, like armor taking damage.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Thanks for the tips Ack, but i'm afraid i won't be playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R this year, i'm thorn between Onimusha and Prince of Persia Sands of Time for now.

I'm almost at the last world in New Super Mario bros. and while it is not a chore at this point i'm REALLY disappointed with the game, it relies too much on design traps and power ups IMO, the lack of flow and verticality isn't helping as well.It's almost over now at least. :(
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

The Wii NSMB is drastically better; so, don’t let the first game put you off the series forever.