Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Beat-'Em-Ups

Post by Sarge »

Actually, I need to consider revisiting Urban Reign.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

crazythink4 wrote:I think you and others were looking at it too.

Viewtiful Joe is a good pick for a beat 'em up. I already beat it years ago (on Adults difficulty), so it's off the table for me. I might give the sequel a go later this month, maybe. I've owned Viewtiful Joe 2 on GameCube for a very long time, just haven't tried it yet.

-

I beat Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone tonight. I'll post some kind of review later. Demon Stone got stupid hard at the end. I almost gave up at the dragon boss in level 9. But stubbornness (or misplaced pride?) won out.

-

Sarge wrote:Actually, I need to consider revisiting Urban Reign.

I was just looking at that one actually. :o It might be my next beat 'em up. Although Urban Reign got very mixed reviews, and I keep reading it's crazy hard. I might not have the patience for it right now, I don't know. I was also thinking of playing MadWorld on Wii. But that game is only 9 years old... not quite the decade standard. Since you're the curator you get to make the call on its viability here!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Sarge wrote:
Went through Crossed Swords on Neo Geo.

How does this compare to the likes of Shien's Revenge or The Super Spy? Is the gameplay similar to those?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Exhuminator wrote:I beat Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone tonight. I'll post some kind of review later.

Some kind of review. tl;dr 6 hours 30 minutes & 7/10

-

I'm not 100% sure what I'll try next. But I'll start something tonight. Trying to beat five games for this TR.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Trying to get Cadillacs and Dinosaurs running in MAME:

"the selected game is missing one or more required rom or chd image"

I got the emuparadise rom/chd files. Am I missing something? I got a MAMEbios archive in my folders but I dunno. MAME gives me a headache.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ack wrote:
Sarge wrote:
Went through Crossed Swords on Neo Geo.

How does this compare to the likes of Shien's Revenge or The Super Spy? Is the gameplay similar to those?

From the video I saw of The Super Spy, it looks similar, although the game constrains you quite a bit more on movement.

Xeo, it could be that the particular set relies on the base game from another region. I've noticed that several sets, when you download the "US" version, those are just additional ROMs and need the master ROM set as well to function. Sometimes it's the same region, sometimes not. It does get confusing. A lot of times, just getting the "World" release is enough.

It could also be that the ROM set you grabbed was put together for Callus/Final Burn Alpha and not MAME.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Xeogred wrote:Trying to get Cadillacs and Dinosaurs running in MAME:

"the selected game is missing one or more required rom or chd image"

I got the emuparadise rom/chd files. Am I missing something? I got a MAMEbios archive in my folders but I dunno. MAME gives me a headache.

Did you download the USA or WORLD version? Try it with the the one that is "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (World 930201)", when theres more than one option i usually download the one that is heavier.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Also, are you using MAMEUI? That has a helpful display of what the parent ROMs are for each game, if you're ever in doubt.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I have both (World 930201) and (USA 930201), same error. Don't think I have any other roms to test out now... hmm.

Well I got some errors with MAMEIU loading it up but then got to the title screen, so maybe it'll work with this haha. Something about "wrong length" and "wrong checksum".

Is there a key per game for a menu that lets me map a controller? I'm not seeing that in the global options anywhere, I'm guessing since every game is different. Looks like it detects my Buffalo controller though. I'm not even sure what the default keys are... I guess 5 is insert coin.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Is there a key per game for a menu that lets me map a controller?

In MAMEUI? This tells you how to setup a controller and remap buttons:

https://fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/mame#using-a-gamepad
(Check the "Reconfiguring the keyboard or gamepad" section.)

-

Well since Sarge didn't see my question about MadWorld, looks like it's Urban Reign for me tonight! Here's hoping this game doesn't beat my ass into bloody snot bubbles. :?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.