2018 games you are hyped about!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: 2018 games you are hyped about!

Post by Reprise »

I actually somewhat agree with Exhuminator, sorry. I love my Switch, I really do, but a lot of what I'm enjoying on the console aren't really Switch games. They're not exclusives. What I'm enjoying is really flexible and portable home system that can go with me anywhere I go. I love that I can play it on the TV in my living room and then just pick it out of the dock and continue playing on the go whilst I do jobs around the home or look after my son. It's more about the console at this stage and the benefits the hardware provides for a person like me. That's not to say it hasn't got a fantastic library, because it certainly does. Support is much greater than it was on the Wii U and there are hundreds of games. Nintendo are also knocking it out of the park, but realistically, the library so far from Nintendo hasn't exactly broken the mould. It's more of an extension of what we saw on the Wii U... e.g. with Splatoon 2, BotW - which is a Wii U game as well anyways, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Fast Racing Neo, Pokken DX, Fire Emblem Warriors (basically a follow up to Hyrule Warriors). Arms, which could have easily been a Wii or Wii U game. and Mario Odyssey, which whilst amazing, could have been on Wii U really if the console had a chance.

We're also seeing how developers are now trying to catch up with the hype, as it's clear they decided to 'wait and see' if the console would be a success before investing, so we've had some half-assed and rushed ports and some late ports. I think with it now obviously being a massive success, we should see more AAA ports and exclusives coming to the Switch.

I think the Switch could get there with its library at some point in the next year. I think 2018 will be a really exciting year for the console. Especially as I half expect the 3DS to start dying off and we'll start to see if the Switch is the true successor to that console as well as being the new home console.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Segata wrote:you don't own one so you really have no room for talk. Done talking about it. If you really want to know Wikipedia exists. Now that's enough derailing from you please. I'm far from the first or last who has made the comparison so... whatever. I don't need to justify anything.

And you've owned one for less than three weeks.

Virtually all of the "derailing" as of late, in this thread and others, is done by you.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Exhuminator wrote:
Segata wrote:When you own one you will get what I mean. \ only 9 months old and I see 301 games listed for it.

I am not trying to dismiss the Switch when I say this; the vast majority of those 301 games aren't exclusives. They aren't really "Switch games", so much as multi-platform releases that you can also play on the Switch. Now maybe it is funner to play multi-platform releases on the Switch for you, because you really enjoy the Switch hardware. That's cool, there's nothing wrong with that. It's just what motivates me to buy a new platform are its exclusives. And not just any exclusives, but exclusives that I think are interesting personally. The Switch is slowly building up a pool of exclusives that I am interested in. When that pool is deep enough I will jump in. It could be late 2018.

I do agree with both of you, to a certain extent. While the exclusives that are there aren't too many and are increasing month by month, one of the biggest appeals of the Switch is that it can play these multi-platforms portably. If you aren't chomping at the bit to have a new portable indie-machine now that the Vita has more or less been laid to rest (or is very quickly getting there, and either way they're already having problems with devs keeping up with post-launch content on Vita), or you aren't super hell-bent on playing the new Mario, I'd say it's probably okay to wait on a Switch.

For me, personally, it was a question of a killer-app that sold me on it. I REALLY liked Hyrule Warriors, so I really wanted to have Fire Emblem Warriors on a platform where I could do Co-op with just one copy of the game. I get that most other people ain't like that though, and, if I weren't so eager to play FEW with my brother when he comes into town in a week or two, I probably would've held off on a Switch. I just have SO much else to play that I haven't even picked up BotW or Mario Odyssey yet. That didn't stop me from putting 100+ hours into a beautifully portable Binding of Isaac on the machine, though. I like it, but I wouldn't call it a must-have yet. I think there's just SO much out there to play, I'd have trouble calling any console a must have if you already own any 3 or 4 mainstream ones from any era.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Reprise wrote:What I'm enjoying is really flexible and portable home system that can go with me anywhere I go. I love that I can play it on the TV in my living room and then just pick it out of the dock and continue playing on the go whilst I do jobs around the home or look after my son. It's more about the console at this stage and the benefits the hardware provides for a person like me.

It kills me a little to say that Sony might have been ahead of their time on something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJs1dW3Y6Ko.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

pierrot wrote:
Reprise wrote:What I'm enjoying is really flexible and portable home system that can go with me anywhere I go. I love that I can play it on the TV in my living room and then just pick it out of the dock and continue playing on the go whilst I do jobs around the home or look after my son. It's more about the console at this stage and the benefits the hardware provides for a person like me.

It kills me a little to say that Sony might have been ahead of their time on something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJs1dW3Y6Ko.

Yeah, I still love my Vita. With the Playstation TV and cross-play etc., the Switch really feels like a successor to that console, as well as Nintendo's own hardware. It's like Nintendo saw Sony's handhelds and finally realised that they too can make stylish powerful handhelds that don't look like fisher-price toys.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

pierrot wrote:

I love that Nintendo gets a lot of credit for pioneering gaming, but look at some of its big stuff of late. The switch is running with what don't was trying with the vita. The DS and Wii u running with what Sega was doing with the dreamcast and vmu. I'm not complaining though! I'm loving it all!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:
Segata wrote:I already did. I showed you some of the games and types of games it's getting. The very same types of games SNES received. You are wrong and you don't own one so you really have no room for talk. Done talking about it. If you really want to know Wikipedia exists. Now that's enough derailing from you please. I'm far from the first or last who has made the comparison so... whatever. I don't need to justify anything.

10/10

Agreed. Perfect score. Would troll again.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I love that Nintendo gets a lot of credit for pioneering gaming, but look at some of its big stuff of late. The switch is running with what don't was trying with the vita. The DS and Wii u running with what Sega was doing with the dreamcast and vmu. I'm not complaining though! I'm loving it all!

On the hardware side, at least, everything Nintendo has created has had precedent elsewhere. In fact, Nintendo's hardware mantra is to use already-known technology then use the implementation of that technology to wow folks. The sound chip on the SNES is probably the only truly new piece of technology Nintendo ever selected. It's always the integration and operation of technology at which Nintendo has excelled.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Exhuminator wrote:Build some legs for your statement to stand on. Correlate for us how the Switch and the SNES' libraries are such perfect analogs. Give informative details and objective evidence. Draw a logical conclusive summary.

Dude, I flipping love this forum sometimes. No other video game forum I have ever joined demands a reasonable level of logic. 8)