The Official Racketboy Community Blog Topic

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Wombatula
16-bit

Re: The Official Racketboy Community Blog Topic

Post by Wombatula »

I've been thinking about starting a blog detailing my goal of going back and playing all the great games I missed from Odyssey up to today. Still thinking of a name. Considering ConsoleTimeMachine.com but since I'll be playing current games as well it doesn't quite fit I think. Maybe consolenoob.com.
Beware the wombats...

Playing:
PC: The Witcher
GCN: Zelda: The Wind Waker
360: Assassin's Creed 2
PS3: 3D Dot Game Heroes
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

noiseredux wrote:@jfe2, I actually convinced my wife to pick up Little Red's Zombie BBQ over the weekend based on yr review! :)

Thanks! That means a lot to me man! :D

That actually gave me the itch to write again and I posted a new review over at The Old Bits. Check it out in my sig if you feel like giving it a read!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

To those of you with your own blogs, how many hits is it realistic to expect to get? I have considered starting a blog to write occassional essays on my musings about video games and to chronicle my recommendations for freeware, but it's not worth it to me to invest the time in blogging if I don't get hits. I would rather just make threads here instead. I like to use the 'games as culture' for a lot of that, since threads don't instantly fall to the bottom of the page in that forum. However, I think I would strive for higher quality on a blog that I owned where I just go kind of casual on a messageboard.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Tumblr seems to be the big thing for blogs right now. Easy to sign up, free and easy to use. I'd like to do a blog myself but I don't know what to do it on and I would probably need to polish up my grammar a bit. Plus, like JT I don't know what to realistically expect from number of hits
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

I get about 300 hits per month and I never 'advertise' my blog. A lot of my hits are from google searches in Europe, Asia, and Australia. Not many hits from the USA. :(

Strangely I get a few emails from gamers in Europe asking me questions about gaming in Japan. I am just happy people outside of the forums are glancing at my crappy blog is mostly just reviews of Japanese games.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I have no idea about hits honestly.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:I have no idea about hits honestly.

Yeah, me neither. I assume that it gets more hits when it makes the front page of RFGen as "promoted" - but I don't know if any of the folks in the OP are into the blogging business to get hits...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I have no idea about hits honestly.

Yeah, me neither. I assume that it gets more hits when it makes the front page of RFGen as "promoted" - but I don't know if any of the folks in the OP are into the blogging business to get hits...

that's my thoughts too. The bulk of my posts are about GB shmups, odd peripherals and bargain-bin PSP games. Somehow I doubt that any advertisers would bank on my blog to start raking in revenue.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

J T wrote:To those of you with your own blogs, how many hits is it realistic to expect to get?

I can't say if what I get is a lot or very little but I can share some data of my blog.

Note that I actually have two blogs, one in English and one in Spanish, but with the same content. I will try to give English numbers. I haven't update my blog in more than a month and I normally have something written for every two weeks.

My blog is six months old.

Views per month:

Jan 117
Feb 105
Mar 168
Apr 348
May 358 (No updates)

Total: 1123 (There are five views made in December just when I created the Blog).

Average per day

Jan 4
Feb 4
Mar 5
Apr 12
May 12
Jun 17

If you look for Erik Twice, I come on top. If you look for "crítica FLCL" (FLCL review, one of my articles), I'm near the top too. Unless you are treating very, very used topics or you face pages that google bomb (Like IGN, for example), people can access to your content easily.

Around 200 hundred people have read my Doom review and around 150 have read my Fight club analisis. I think that's quite huge!

On the very least I would read it :D
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

General_Norris wrote:Around 200 hundred people have read my Doom review and around 150 have read my Fight club analisis. I think that's quite huge!
On the very least I would read it :D

nice blog. on your english reviews page is the link to the info on your scoring system working?

also, to respond to the question at hand, i've been writing to my blog weekly for almost 5 years and i've found that the number of hits is really arbitrary. you may find that one particular post you spend little time on gets a large number of hits for either a dumb or unfathomable reason, while other posts you spend a lot of time on will be completely ignored. of course you can always go out of your way to write posts that will probably get more hits, but if you're really concerned about hits i would recommend writing for some other site or teaming up with other writers. i'd also recommend staying involved with what your fellow bloggers are doing. just my 2 cents.