Game Magazines and Books - Post yours

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Game Magazines and Books, what is your favorite?

Post by BoringSupreez »

essayyweb1 wrote:P. G. Wodehouse-

Death at the Excelsior
Misunderstood
The Best Sauce

P. G. Wodehouse is good, yes, but we are talking about game magazines and books here.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Just found some more PDFs!

Arcade Manual Links
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/

Everything Else: http://pdf.textfiles.com/
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Luigiman
24-bit

Post by Luigiman »

This book is a pretty interesting read
Just the title of it caught my attention
images.jpg
images.jpg (8.7 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Corish's Computer Games Guide 3rd Edition
This goes way back to the Commodore 64 days. I recently picked up Impossible Mission for the Wii and the nostalgia bug hit me to dust this off. Tons of Cheats, Walkthrus as well as Pokes and Peek codes to unlock new features in 8 bit and 16 bit computer games. It would be interesting to verify rereleases of the older games to see if some coding still apply :mrgreen:

Here you go a trip down the 8-16 bit lane, check out the game titles on the back cover. 8)
Attachments
Corish's Comuter Games Guide 3rd Edition Front.jpg
Corish's Comuter Games Guide 3rd Edition Front.jpg (226.74 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Corish's Comuter Games Guide 3rd Edition Back.jpg
Corish's Comuter Games Guide 3rd Edition Back.jpg (251.83 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Game magazines, what is your favorite?

Post by Erik_Twice »

CRTGAMER wrote:Back at the OP I posted a link to PDFs for a great older Arcade mag called JoyStik.

Curious for anyone who read the PDFs, comments?

Oh, sorry, I checked an issue or two and liked it a lot. I was incredibly surprised at how harsh they are on Zaxxon! Not so much about the game itself, for some reason many people are irked by it, but how open they were about it!

I haven't read them because I want to look at them with a notebook on one hand and the KLOV in the other and get into them. The format also looks very, very good, I would have bought them inmediatedly back in the day. One issues even has an article by Isaac Asimov!

Thanks a lot for the links, I'm saving the mags in my computer. And if anyone knows other magazines of the era, let me know!

ZeroAX gave me an issue of Retrogamer and let me read some of their digital issues and while it isn't what I'm looking for anymore, anyone who thinks a Magazine can provide them with good stuff if they covered their topics will greatly enjoy this one. I specially like their selection of articles and any magazine who drops the title "Hard Drivin''" and doesn't bat an eye is cool in my book.

Of the books I have heard about, I want to get Ultimate History of Video Games. It's not overly expensive and I have heard very good things about it. I have also heard good things about Arcade Mania and while I'm extremely wary of books, it seems like one of the good sources on Japanese arcade information, which I'm extremely interested in.

I might also get Masters of Doom, which I'm sure will be overly interesting but isn't a history book. The low price helps, tough.

Once I get the books, expect an in-detph review of them, I have found very little information on gaming books and we really need it.

On other topic, I would kill to go to Japan, open Sega's vault and see OutRun's design documents to write a book about it. But it isn't happening =/
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Currently I subscribe to Edge, Nintendo Power, NGamer, and Game Informer. I think Edge has the best writing. Nintendo Power is a bit light on quality writing but my kids enjoy it. One thing that irks me about NP is the subscriber edition cover is different from the newsstand cover. Why do they have to be different?

I have all of the known PDFs for Edge (demonoid & underground-gamer) and slowly been going through the back issues.

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Retro Gamer just hit their 100th issue. My local B&N is usually an issue or two behind but not complaining since at least I don't have to order it online (the price per issue or to subscribe does not give US readers a deal imo).
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

I currently am getting Game Informer and I check Nintendo Power out from my local library. I enjoy Nintendo Power and it gives me my monthly Nintendo fix. Game Informer usually has a few one-page articles wroth reading but the bulk of it and the reviews are just things I generally flip through for the pictures. Retro Gamer, when I can find an issue, is a great read and a well put together magazine.

Currently, I'm looking for issues of Official Dreamcast Magazine and Sega Visions partly because I've never had a chance to read either and partly because I want to use them for a secret project I'm working on.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Nintendo Power when i was a kid and teenager, then got PSM for a while, not currently subscribed to any magazine, because the internet has alot more info alot faster these days.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Sega Visions was the only magazine I had a subscription for, and I read those issues ragged. I picked up copies of other publications like Nintendo Power and EGM here-and-there, but not too many.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would