Final Fantasy VII remake announced

Level up here
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Final Fantasy VII remake announced

Post by samsonlonghair »

It's about darn time. Squeenix has treated FFVII like their "get out of jail free" card for years. They kept this card through wave after wave of increasingly mediocre Final Fantasy games. Now that Squeenix is on the verge of bankruptcy, it's finally time to play that card.

Now use up the last bit of your cultural relevancy, Squeenix. This way you can gasp your last breath, have your IPs bought up by a larger developer, and forever exit the gaming industry. Many will miss you, but I will not count myself among them.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

But they are a fairly big publisher, no developer will buy them out
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So it's gonna be on PS4 first. After that, I'm assuming it'll be on Xbone. Will it come to PC too?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

samsonlonghair wrote:It's about darn time. Squeenix has treated FFVII like their "get out of jail free" card for years. They kept this card through wave after wave of increasingly mediocre Final Fantasy games. Now that Squeenix is on the verge of bankruptcy, it's finally time to play that card.

Now use up the last bit of your cultural relevancy, Squeenix. This way you can gasp your last breath, have your IPs bought up by a larger developer, and forever exit the gaming industry. Many will miss you, but I will not count myself among them.

You must be a real hit at parties. :P
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

While I certainly agree that FF7 is overrated, it is definitely the numbered entry most needing of a remake.

HD remake of FF6? Why? The game looks beautiful. No need. FF7, on the other hand, looks terrible. FF1-6 are pixel perfect 2D sprite work. FF8 and up are decent to great 3D models. FF7 is basically comprised of rough geometric shapes on top of pre-rendered backgrounds.

Anyway, I'm actually more excited for that Worlds of Final Fantasy game. Looks light hearted and fun. I'm sure I'll still end up getting FF7 remake though.

MrPopo wrote:Combat was not turn based. Final Fantasy I-III had turn based combat, along with Final Fantasy X. IV-IX was the real time combat where everyone had cooldowns.

But I agree, keep the ATB menu-based combat.

... as long as there's a way to boost the speed by enough to the point where there's very little time spent waiting for a bar to fill up. I know everyone loves ATB, but at the end of the day a turn-based game with a "speed" stat (separate from an "evade" stat) accomplishes the same exact thing at a much brisker pace.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Never was crazy enough about this game to get excited. But if VI was remade as a PS4 exclusive I would buy the console tomorrow.

Interesting to see this is on a home system..... Looks like a full-fledged HD remake vs. what we've been seeing on DS, PSP, etc...

Bones, you may get your wish eventually. Came across this on IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-final-fantasy-7-wont-be-a-simple-remake-says-nomura?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Coverstory
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

So, it seems PS4 will get an HD port of FF 7 (with ported over Steam achievements I assume) AND the remake. I don't think FF 7 fans have anything to bitch about right now

Life is good right now if you like Final Fantasy or Shenmue
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Solus_Emsu
16-bit

Post by Solus_Emsu »

I get the feeling this will be quite a different take on the story and combat systems but I'm up for it. However that mixed with the incredibly high expectations and I see a lot of fans being upset or disappointed.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

MrPopo wrote:Combat was not turn based. Final Fantasy I-III had turn based combat, along with Final Fantasy X. IV-IX was the real time combat where everyone had cooldowns.

But I agree, keep the ATB menu-based combat.

Yeah, it's not true turn based. But I wouldn't call it real time either, since you have to wait for the gauge to fill up and nobody goes through their attack animation at the same time. If I'm being specific, I'd call the ATB combat like a sub-version of regular turn based.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy VII HD!

Post by Tanooki »

It would be pretty amusing actually if they went FF13 style on it or whatever they got baking for FF15. Personally I don't believe I'd mind it though I know a lot of 90s fans would crap a brick.