Together Retro: Psychonauts

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Psychonauts

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

someone brought up that there were too many characters and how they weren't fleshed out enough. I notice that if you run from level to level, you miss out on more of the different activities the campers are doing. The problem is in knowing where the campers are between levels and seeing what they are doing. That can be a huge slog and is the real detriment. I love the guys none the less..especially when you show them mr. pokeylope!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Sload Soap wrote:
ExedExes wrote:
Question -- what happens if you ever run out of astral projections (lives)? Do you have to start a level again, and do you start with 3 again? I don't see it happening, but if it weren't for all the brain-health in the lungfish level as well as the extra lives, I got pretty close as I was trying to get past the underwater level.

You get booted out of the level and start again from your last checkpoint. It's pretty pointless to be honest. After the Lungfish the quality of the game jumps up a bit if you ask me.

Bit surprised there aren't more people playing this to be honest. I thought it would be one of the more popular TR games.

I guess it's just unfortunate timing. Lots of stuff on right now.

I want to play it, but I don't want the PC version and I don't have my XBox around right now.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:someone brought up that there were too many characters and how they weren't fleshed out enough. I notice that if you run from level to level, you miss out on more of the different activities the campers are doing. The problem is in knowing where the campers are between levels and seeing what they are doing. That can be a huge slog and is the real detriment. I love the guys none the less..especially when you show them mr. pokeylope!

I think this is why the made the arrowhead requirement for the cobweb grabber so high. It forces you to explore the camp and come across the characters on your travels. It's a super lazy bit of design but I can see why they went for it.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Sload Soap wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:someone brought up that there were too many characters and how they weren't fleshed out enough. I notice that if you run from level to level, you miss out on more of the different activities the campers are doing. The problem is in knowing where the campers are between levels and seeing what they are doing. That can be a huge slog and is the real detriment. I love the guys none the less..especially when you show them mr. pokeylope!

I think this is why the made the arrowhead requirement for the cobweb grabber so high. It forces you to explore the camp and come across the characters on your travels. It's a super lazy bit of design but I can see why they went for it.

Still doesn't work because you are forced to get the arrowheads precisely when the campers aren't really around any more. Bad design both ways IMO. They did well in lowering the requirement in newer versions.

There really isn't that much incentive to explore the camp, and if you do, it is a bit boring. There are the Psi cards and cores (and the scavenger hunt) but the game is enough of a collect-a-thon even if you took those away.

Speaking of which, I did go back and collect all the cobwebs and luggage, and after that I wasn't really missing many figments so I did go and collect whatever I was missing. There are a few that are really cruelly hidden, one where I think you pretty much have to die after getting it (last level, rail grind) and many that is a huge pain to get because they are floating around and you have to wait for it / or stuff like the race segment.

It is generally a good game, and indeed after the Water level things get better, but IMO it does have soem significant design flaws despite the very funny dialog and great settings.

Am I the only one that does not like the character design art style by the way?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ok, so now I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I can understand an item like this cobweb duster as completely optional.

But now I see it is required in the Milkman Conspiracy level?!

I am nowhere near the 800 arrowheads it takes to buy it, and now I can't proceed any further without it.

That is the dealbreaker right here. With a week to go, I don't know if I'm gonna have the time to search for arrowheads.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

ExedExes wrote:Ok, so now I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I am nowhere near the 800 arrowheads it takes to buy it, and now I can't proceed any further without it.

That is the dealbreaker right here. With a week to go, I don't know if I'm gonna have the time to search for arrowheads.

Yes it does suck, but if you buy the Arrowhead detector and use it you will eventually get them relatively fast (you can also look up locations for the deep ones on a guide).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ivo, I hate the art style honestly.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

ExedExes wrote:Ok, so now I'm in a bit of a situation here.

It takes maybe 10-15 mins if you have the arrow detecting doohickey.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I like the design style, however some of the human characters don't seem to have translated as well into the game as one would think. Mila Vodello looks pretty awful and the camera makes characters look uglier than they are.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ivo wrote:Yes it does suck, but if you buy the Arrowhead detector and use it you will eventually get them relatively fast (you can also look up locations for the deep ones on a guide).

Oddly enough, that item is reasonably priced. I thought forced grinding only existed on JRPGs. Another poor design decision. But, I shall press on.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.