Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah it kinda has that "techno" vibe throughout.

All comes down to personal preference, I guess.

The Egyptian levels are fun. There are a couple of tricky ones tossed into the Genesis version.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so when I first setup the 360 pad, it worked great. Last night I fired up the game and was having those issues w/ the analog stick "pushing itself."

I guess I'm gonna have to try this:

isiolia wrote:Seemed like it wasn't just with the 360 pad, since by default the OS X stuff was wonky too. I'd guess the PC version of the game just wasn't built around using a joystick.

Hit CTRL-F1 to bring up the DOSBox mapper. What seemed to clear things up to me was to then delete all the joystick binds - the three boxes that are like Axis 1/2 Axis 3/4 and Disabled (on OS X it was Joystick 1 and Joystick 2).
You can then go up to the arrow keys, click them and hit Add to bind a stick direction so that you can use that. The 360 controller D-pad shows up when binding, but doesn't seem to work, but the Classic Controller D-pad worked fine. Otherwise, you can then pick whatever other keys you want and map the appropriate buttons to them.

Does anyone know if there's a DOSBox manual PDF that I could print out somewhere? I feel like I'm always learning new shortcuts and workarounds, so it could be the kind of thing worth leaving around.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

You may want to try the fix Spacebooger mentioned first, if you haven't. Basically, the standard joystick setup for DOS supports four axis and four buttons. The option he toggled tells DOSBox to emulate a Thrustmaster Flight Control System driver instead, which loses an axis, but adds support for a hat switch (which is what the d-pad is translated as).

You could just print the ReadMe if you want the reference.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Am I missing something, or wouldn't it be simpler just to use a program like Joy2Key to assign the arrow keys on your keyboard to the d-pad of a controller? Hate to see you guys fiddling with technical issues instead of enjoying the game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Am I missing something, or wouldn't it be simpler just to use a program like Joy2Key to assign the arrow keys on your keyboard to the d-pad of a controller? Hate to see you guys fiddling with technical issues instead of enjoying the game.

Yes. Remember, I did use a program like Joy2Key (except it was a better one, Pinnacle Game Profiler). And it worked great the first time I played. But upon firing it back up something went wonky.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Am I missing something, or wouldn't it be simpler just to use a program like Joy2Key to assign the arrow keys on your keyboard to the d-pad of a controller?

That's what the Mapper does, and effectively what I suggested doing. I didn't try switching to the FCS option as SpaceBooger said, since I bought the Genesis version so I'm gonna play that, dammit :lol:

If changing that option fixes the rogue input and enables the d-pad though, then it's the simpler/better solution (and the Mapper can always be used in addition to that).
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Ehh I'm using osculator and my constant avoidance of paying for it when it tells me to get a license to play using my classic controller pro for wii on my mac...works like a charm :wink:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Cleared Prehistoria (30% completion according to GBA save file). Did NOT like bubble riding. Just that spot alone got me nearly every "repeat level" dialogue line in the entire game :lol:

Next - Egypt!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I switched over to the PC version since I'm visiting family and didn't bring a Genesis. Got to the Amiga logo looking zone with the helium tanks. Not liking it so far.

Anyone else notice sprites for unique items don't seems to display right in DOSBox?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Hate to break it to you guys, but there are many more bubbles levels.

They aren't too bad. Just take it slow. Baleog is the hardest to get across as he can't do anything but walk/fall into one bubble to the next. Erik can jump and Olaf can float from bubble to bubble.

isiolia wrote:I switched over to the PC version since I'm visiting family and didn't bring a Genesis. Got to the Amiga logo looking zone with the helium tanks. Not liking it so far.

The good news: only about half of the Wacky levels contain the helium tanks.

But yeah, they weren't an element I enjoyed much either.