2014 Together Retro Calendar

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2014 Nominations & Discussion Thread

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:
ExedExes wrote:I'm not on board with a bad game month. We've got enough genres and enough games, and having that would remove a whole genre list of good nominated games. Plus, why waste time and money playing a game we know is terrible?

Just because a game is "bad" doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, interesting or have its place in video gaming history. There are a lot of "bad" games out there that I enjoy a lot.

A bad game can be enjoyable, but I'm not sure I fancy playing one for a whole month.

The reason I didn't nominate anything like that is, you play a game from like one year of a series and it gets old pretty quick. I'd rather a game that you can stick with for more than a week. THPS 2 was great because it had good length. I like the racing games we've picked because again, they'll last a while.

I don't really follow... if we were to pick something like Madden for instance, you have a whole season to get through in a month.

I just think sports games are boring. Also, a lot of them aren't very good at crossing borders - not only do most europeans not give a shit about basketball, american football and baseball, but actually, a lot of the games arent that easy to find here, and particularly with the older ones, never came out here at all. I get annoyed that we always try to choose cheap and widely ported games but that we've chosen games that weren't released in PAL region a few times now.

If we do go sports, I'd like to request its a sports game thats easy to find both sides of the Atlantic.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Europeans do not give a shit about Basketball? That's news to me. Are you sure you're not confusing Europe with the UK?
noiseredux wrote:
ExedExes wrote:I'm not on board with a bad game month. We've got enough genres and enough games, and having that would remove a whole genre list of good nominated games. Plus, why waste time and money playing a game we know is terrible?

Just because a game is "bad" doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, interesting or have its place in video gaming history. There are a lot of "bad" games out there that I enjoy a lot.

The reason I didn't nominate anything like that is, you play a game from like one year of a series and it gets old pretty quick. I'd rather a game that you can stick with for more than a week. THPS 2 was great because it had good length. I like the racing games we've picked because again, they'll last a while.

I don't really follow... if we were to pick something like Madden for instance, you have a whole season to get through in a month.

Maybe by your definition. If I don't like a game, it is bad, if I like it, it is good. I don't believe in that "games are objectively good" nonsense.

And add a vote against playing a bad game intentionally as well.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I was thinking of suggesting Let Us Cling Together, but isn't that game extremely long?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

@AJ: What about a 'soccer' game? That's definitely a sport game genre I've never looked into.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:@AJ: What about a 'soccer' game? That's definitely a sport game genre I've never looked into.

Whilst I'm not particularly opposed to this, I wouldn't know where to start recommending one. Its never been my genre.

Maybe something more universal like a tennis game? Virtua Tennis could work?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Virtua Tennis rules. It's very arcade-ish, offers fun for co-op, and has a very pick-up-and-play control scheme. And it's got ports on all kinds of consoles... DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, GBA, 360, PC, f'ing N-Gage, Wii.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Violent By Design wrote:I was thinking of suggesting Let Us Cling Together, but isn't that game extremely long?

It is long but awesome. Snes Ogre Battle is shorter.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

A good football (soccer) game that is easy to pick up and play would be Sensible Soccer. It's available on gog and xboxlive, as well as being on mega drive, snes and Amiga. Easy to emulate as well.

Virtua Tennis is a good pick though. Beach Spikers is good as well, but not as widey ported.
Flake

Post by Flake »

noiseredux wrote:Virtua Tennis rules. It's very arcade-ish, offers fun for co-op, and has a very pick-up-and-play control scheme. And it's got ports on all kinds of consoles... DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, GBA, 360, PC, f'ing N-Gage, Wii.

iOS and Android, as well.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I'll second Ballz 3D