SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by SNESdrunk »

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - Pilotwings and SimCity
Ack

Post by Ack »

Personally, I think there's something soothing about SimCity, and growing up with a copy, it was one that I continually returned to. It is challenging, yes, but it offered a variety of scenarios to try, disasters to avert, and worlds to build on.

One of the best maps I ever played was the Tokyo kaiju invasion by Bowser, where he showed up, turned around, and wandered off the map. So I just built up Tokyo from there into a massive megalopolis that spread across the Japanese countryside until there was not an inch left...so I basically turned 1961 Tokyo into modern day Tokyo. Good times.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:One of the best maps I ever played was the Tokyo kaiju invasion by Bowser, where he showed up, turned around, and wandered off the map.

:lol: That's pretty funny, never seen that one before. Must've gotten bored.

It's interesting to see so many disagree with me about the SNES SimCity. That game to me at this point is 100% nostalgia. Love the music, but I'll play for 10 minutes then realize I'd rather be playing SimCity 2000 or SimCity 4 on PC.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

s1rweeze wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Anyhow, there's another "Secret" on the SNES that's much, much worse than Evermore...

:lol: I'd like to do a video on that game eventually. Why did Tecmo of all developers try an RPG while places like Konami and Sunsoft never gave it a go?

An old post but............

Secret of the Stars actually wasn't the first Tecmo RPG. They also developed Radia Senki: Reimeihen. I've been playing it lately, quite a good game!

Konami eventually had Vandal Hearts and Suikoden. But nothing back in the 16-bit era from what I recall.

SunSoft had the Albert Odyssey titles, which began on the Super Famicom. Good games!
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:An old post but............

Secret of the Stars actually wasn't the first Tecmo RPG. They also developed Radia Senki: Reimeihen. I've been playing it lately, quite a good game!

Konami eventually had Vandal Hearts and Suikoden. But nothing back in the 16-bit era from what I recall.

SunSoft had the Albert Odyssey titles, which began on the Super Famicom. Good games!

This is an excellent post that will go toward my quest in becoming more cultured in everything 16-bit. Thanks! (Can't believe I forgot about Albert Odyssey, love those games)
Ack

Post by Ack »

s1rweeze wrote:
Ack wrote:One of the best maps I ever played was the Tokyo kaiju invasion by Bowser, where he showed up, turned around, and wandered off the map.

:lol: That's pretty funny, never seen that one before. Must've gotten bored.

It's interesting to see so many disagree with me about the SNES SimCity. That game to me at this point is 100% nostalgia. Love the music, but I'll play for 10 minutes then realize I'd rather be playing SimCity 2000 or SimCity 4 on PC.

I think a lot of it is the simplicity and the music. SimCity can be challenging, but it's a relatively simple and easy to learn and play simulation. It also still holds up better than many of the other sim games on the SNES, such as SimCity 2000 and SimAnt. And there's none of that weird EA debacle that we had with SimCity 4.

Yes, the genre has definitely developed further beyond SimCity, but it's a classic that is still quite easy to go back to, unlike games like Populous.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:It also still holds up better than many of the other sim games on the SNES, such as SimCity 2000 and SimAnt.

Ack wrote:Populous.

There's definitely something to be said for that, gotta agree with you there
Ack

Post by Ack »

I knew you'd like it.

My biggest complaints with the game are the constant repetition of the Zordon's Lair stage and the Power Rangers theme. Both get old, and I think that stage is the least impressive.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Thanks for recommending that one Ack. Any other requests just let me know, I'd be happy to do them