Double Dragon Neon

Brawlers and Beatemups
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Double Dragon Neon

Post by Gunstar Green »

Gamerforlife wrote:This video made me laugh my ass off. These guys are a riot when they run through a game together, and unlike a lot of modern gamers, they actually like beat 'em ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfs2gNNFgTg

I tend to complain a lot about there being too many youtube video game vids with commentary, but these guys always seem to hit my funny bone.

They followed this up with a longer one due to popular demand but it's not as good because they don't have the same spontaneous reactions as in the first video.

To be blatantly honest this video is convinced me to buy the game.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I just started playing this on the ps3 yesterday. So far it's a really fun game although I don't know how in the world you guys are going through the game on DD difficulty and losing only one life.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Gunstar Green wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:This video made me laugh my ass off. These guys are a riot when they run through a game together, and unlike a lot of modern gamers, they actually like beat 'em ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfs2gNNFgTg

I tend to complain a lot about there being too many youtube video game vids with commentary, but these guys always seem to hit my funny bone.

They followed this up with a longer one due to popular demand but it's not as good because they don't have the same spontaneous reactions as in the first video.

To be blatantly honest this video is convinced me to buy the game.

Yeah, their videos are pretty cool. Their video review of Lollipop Chainsaw is the best review of the game on internet in my opinion...and most entertaining. He gives you more info about the game in that review than any other one I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkF9pHfFg88
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Played the demo on PS3 tonight and... yeah, this game is awesome!

Will probably purchase the full game this weekend
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I read an interesting article on the cultural shift that occurred between the release of the original Double Dragon in 1987 and the release of Double Dragon Neon this year:

http://gameological.com/2012/10/smacks-and-the-city/

I enjoyed the article's insights and thought I would post a link to it here. Enjoy!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I think some things are a bit of a stretch but it was interesting. I agree that this type of "street vigilante" subject matter was definitely a product of its time and was found in all types of movies, games and comics of the 80's.

Also he thought Streets of Rage was an arcade game which is an easy mistake I guess considering its a Sega game, or he might've had it confused with Final Fight. He also mentions Renegade but then calls Double Dragon the "first" even though DD is its spiritual successor.

I think Renegade is a really interesting example considering in Japan it was the first Kunio game about high school gang fights but when transitioning to the United States it became an urban decay brawler against street gangs. It represents not only different societal outlooks on violence over the years but also across the world.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Haven't read the article yet, but there were arcade ports of the Streets of Rage games
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Gamerforlife wrote:Haven't read the article yet, but there were arcade ports of the Streets of Rage games

Yeah I know that but the context in the article seems to imply he thought it was an arcade game first. Streets of Rage pretty much only came into existence to give people what was essentially a home version of Final Fight long before the real ports.