Together Retro: Super Monkey Ball

Join in on our classic gaming club!
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Super Monkey Ball

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

CRTGAMER wrote:Incentive to keep going, I'm curious about the level in the Quote below. Oh wait, this is the Adventure disc. There are some other games as well at the link that are teasing me for a revisit.
http://dangblastedcritic.blogspot.com/2 ... evels.html

Top 10 Least Favorite Video Game Levels
Moonhaven (Super Monkey Ball Adventure, PS2)

Most of the entries on this list are here because they’re shitty levels in an otherwise good game. Moonhaven, on the other hand, makes me weep in fury because it’s a great level languishing in a really, really awful game. Super Monkey Ball Adventure was a horrendously misguided attempt to turn a puzzle game into a platformer -- a buggy, frustrating mess where you spend about 95% of gameplay falling off things. Somewhere along the way, you encounter Moonhaven, a gorgeous and uniquely designed steampunk sky-city that deserved much better. Sadly, the lush visuals cannot be appreciated due to the most grating, horrific, awkward, infuriating gameplay I’ve ever slogged through. When you aren’t plunging into the blue abyss over and over, you’re trying in vain to figure out what you’re actually supposed to be DOING. JESUS IN HEAVEN, THIS GAME IS BAD. SO, SO, SO, SO BAD. Which makes the promise of Moonhaven all the more bitter. To my joy, it seems Bioshock 3 will be set in floating steampunk paradise, so Moonhaven will live on in a game that isn’t a flaming turd! Sort of.

Oh god, I've played that level before. Pretty much the most frustrating part of that game. It's like trying to control an 18-wheeler on a mountainside.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Top 10 Least Favorite Video Game Levels
Moonhaven (Super Monkey Ball Adventure, PS2)

Oh god, I've played that level before. Pretty much the most frustrating part of that game. It's like trying to control an 18-wheeler on a mountainside.

:lol: This is the way I feel about Deluxe. Anyone remember the float cheats for N64 games? The ones that let Mario and banjo fly? So tempting to relent and find that cheat for some of these maddening levels.

noiseredux wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Maybe NEVERBALL? Also for the Mac and PC.
Yes, Neverball was the one I was trying to think of that had been ported (homebrew) to the Dreamcast.

Okay computer owners can join the fun or torture. :D

Neverball site: http://neverball.org/index.php
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

incominggame
8-bit

Post by incominggame »

CRTGAMER wrote:Okay you just confirmed something I was wondering about. PS2 Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is both 1 and 2 of the Gamecube versions. I wondered why there was no Select to play 1 or 2, looks like the Levels are all mixed in? Each world has more then ten levels, not all levels have to be completed to jump to the next world.

yeah, it looks like they are all mixed :

So, how many levels do you have to beat to get to the next world?
My format: Gamer
To play and collect
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

incominggame wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Okay you just confirmed something I was wondering about. PS2 Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is both 1 and 2 of the Gamecube versions. I wondered why there was no Select to play 1 or 2, looks like the Levels are all mixed in? Each world has more then ten levels, not all levels have to be completed to jump to the next world.
Yeah, it looks like they are all mixed :

So, how many levels do you have to beat to get to the next world?

Not sure I have not been keeping count. As soon as I complete enough levels the game jumps right away to a video clip followed by the next world. I think its something like fifteen out of twenty levels have to be beat. Going back to practice mode, all the levels are unlocked in completed worlds visited including the newest world.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I've owned the original since the launch of the GC, picked up part 2 later on and returned it after being displeased for multiple reasons (none of which I can remember). Never bothered with any of the spinoffs or sequels since - but the original is still a blast, especially when I have girls over.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Nintendork666 wrote:but the original is still a blast, especially when I have girls over.

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

So I'm at World 3 in SMBD. It's growing on me a bit more now that I'm actually being challenged.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

such a frustrating game. I've got 7 or 8 of them beat on Level 2. But yeah. I don't know. Not sure I really am enjoying Monkey Ball proper, as much as just making myself play it.
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

Post by MrHealthy »

The True Adventures of Chad: The guy who was so into Super Monkey Ball Deluxe he decided to live in a ball

Waking Up
Soccer Tryouts
Class
Swim Meet
Da Club
Monkey Ball

I don't know why I have never participated in Together Retro before, but this seems like a good time to as Super Monkey ball is a favourite of mine. I currently own 1 and 2 and the Gamecube, Step and Roll on the Wii and 2 on iOS.

A bit of info regarding Super Monkey Ball Deluxe, it is as others have said a strange combo of both Super Monkey ball 1 and 2. However, it also includes 47 brand new levels (and I believe it may have excluded less then half a dozen levels from 1 and 2, but im not sure). Other then those new levels though, everything should be a same, just encountered in a different fashion. But really, the games play soooo much better with a gamecube controller its not even funny. The ammount of control and precision the gamecube controller offers is really needed to master the hardest levels.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

MrHealthy wrote:A bit of info regarding Super Monkey Ball Deluxe, it is as others have said a strange combo of both Super Monkey ball 1 and 2. However, it also includes 47 brand new levels (and I believe it may have excluded less then half a dozen levels from 1 and 2, but im not sure). Other then those new levels though, everything should be a same, just encountered in a different fashion. But really, the games play soooo much better with a gamecube controller its not even funny. The amount of control and precision the gamecube controller offers is really needed to master the hardest levels.

Interesting point about the Gamecube controller. I never liked the toothed Analog Stick stops. However, maybe this is what makes the difference? A more accurate control of diagonal and corner directions?