What game got you into shmups?

2D Shooters Invade
scarper
128-bit

Re: What game got you into shmups?

Post by scarper »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I don't like saying "shooter" though because then people tend to think FPS.

exactly

I've only had one person know what I was talking about when I used the term "shmup" in rl though.

Usually have to reffer to Space Invaders.

My friends only know what "shmup" means because of me. :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

D.D.D. wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I don't like saying "shooter" though because then people tend to think FPS.

At least back in SoCal, most people I encountered at work would say "eff-p-ess" instead of shooter. Maybe it's a regional thing? Like my cousins on the east coast calling soda, pop.

Not to my knowledge. Down here in the South we generally refer to them as FPS, at least everyone who I've encountered has.

And we call soda coke.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I don't know if I could pinpoint just one game. In the arcades I was playing Space Invaders, Asteroids, Galaga, Gorf and 1942. At home I was playing Zaxxon and Space Fury on the Colecovision. I was also fully in love with Life Force on the NES a little later, which solidified my passion for the genre.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Ack wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:

At least back in SoCal, most people I encountered at work would say "eff-p-ess" instead of shooter. Maybe it's a regional thing? Like my cousins on the east coast calling soda, pop.

Not to my knowledge. Down here in the South we generally refer to them as FPS, at least everyone who I've encountered has.

And we call soda coke.

Even if it's not Coke? Like Sprite, Dr. Pepper etc~
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

D.D.D. wrote:
Ack wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:At least back in SoCal, most people I encountered at work would say "eff-p-ess" instead of shooter. Maybe it's a regional thing? Like my cousins on the east coast calling soda, pop.

And we call soda coke.

Even if it's not Coke? Like Sprite, Dr. Pepper etc~

Having lived too many years in the south, I can somewhat attest to this. People don't generally ask for a soda and no one ever says pop. In my many years as a waiter, I believe I actually heard "soft drink" more often, although most of the people just say what they want.

In Indiana, on the other hand, it was "pop". And in Texas, at least certain parts, it's all called "pepsi", not "coke".
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Having lived too many years in the south, I can somewhat attest to this. People don't generally ask for a soda and no one ever says pop. In my many years as a waiter, I believe I actually heard "soft drink" more often, although most of the people just say what they want.

In Indiana, on the other hand, it was "pop". And in Texas, at least certain parts, it's all called "pepsi", not "coke".

That's trippy. Yeah if people ask what kind of drinks are offered at a place, I hear soft drinks commonly too.

Everything's Pepsi in Texas??? "Waiter, I'd like a Pepsi, except can you make it lemon-limey, and take out the caramel coloring and caffeine? And while you're at it, make the carbonation a little stronger wudja." :lol:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Ack

Post by Ack »

D.D.D. wrote:Even if it's not Coke? Like Sprite, Dr. Pepper etc~

Yeah, we refer to them as cokes, though when given specific options we'll name specific brands. It's likely due to how huge CocaCola is in Atlanta.
timewarpgamer
64-bit

Post by timewarpgamer »

I believe that visiting my uncles (one owned Star Castle, another Galaxian) is where it all begin, but Gradius on the NES kept the flame burning at home, and discovering the likes of Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder on my TurboDuo kicked my love of the genre into overdrive.
I run the 8/16-bit retro site TimeWarpGamer and if you want to follow the latest updates, check me out on Twitter.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

timewarpgamer wrote:I believe that visiting my uncles (one owned Star Castle, another Galaxian) is where it all begin, but Gradius on the NES kept the flame burning at home, and discovering the likes of Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder on my TurboDuo kicked my love of the genre into overdrive.

Maybe got you into instrumental rock music too? ;)
timewarpgamer
64-bit

Post by timewarpgamer »

D.D.D. wrote:
timewarpgamer wrote:I believe that visiting my uncles (one owned Star Castle, another Galaxian) is where it all begin, but Gradius on the NES kept the flame burning at home, and discovering the likes of Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder on my TurboDuo kicked my love of the genre into overdrive.

Maybe got you into instrumental rock music too? ;)

Haha, I was definitely listening to some heavy rock and metal at the time, and I still really enjoy listening to the Thunder soundtracks straight-through. Even had to make a little homage to Lords of Thunder's music (http://timewarpgamer.com/features/music_lords_of_thunder.html).
I run the 8/16-bit retro site TimeWarpGamer and if you want to follow the latest updates, check me out on Twitter.