What single player RTS campaign are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
MrPopo

Re: What single player RTS campaign are you playing?

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
dogman91 wrote:Warcraft 1 for DOS. I previously played Dune II. I think I'm a huge fan of RTS; these games are incredibly addicting. :o

Wow, how are you playing it? I thought that one was nigh unplayable nowadays due to processor speeds.

The DOSBox fixes processor speeds. The bigger question is how he's dealing with four unit groups with no group selection hotkeys.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Wow, I didn't realize that. I would love to see this pop up on GOG some day. I haven't played the original Warcraft in a long, long time.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

There was a news blurb a year or two ago that Blizzard was working on doing a modern build of Warcraft 1 & 2 that would include modern UI and run natively on the latest OS's, but it was listed as a maybe project; I'm still hoping it comes out but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

MrPopo wrote: The bigger question is how he's dealing with four unit groups with no group selection hotkeys.

You Ctrl+click and there's a little selection box you drag over the four units you want to select. But yeah I can see how this can be improved, such as being able to select more than four units at once, sort units by type, concrete list of what units you have, etc which I'm sure are all features in modern RTS... Thanks to myself not being exposed to newer RTS games though, I can tolerate a more archaic system like the old DOS days :)

And yeah, I'm using DOSBox. @Ack
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Oh, I know there's the selection box. But since you can only control four units at a time and there's no attack move in this game, it requires as much micro as high level StarCraft matches.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Resurrection!

Been playing a lot of Total Annihilation. I'm not sure if I should count it beaten after I finish the ARM campaign. The armies are different in a tangible way (apparently almost no one plays CORE online due to said differences) and the maps are going to be different, but the story is essentially non-existent and the missions themselves are fairly easy because the computer never really attacks your base, so you're free to build up superior firepower (coupled with the economy being infinite by the basic design). And since it's 25 missions per side I just don't know.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

My favorite moments of Total Annihilation:

- Jeremy Soule
- Big Bertha's
- Krogoth
- Commander suicide runs

The campaigns seemed pretty pointless so I never bothered. Had a ton of fun with it and custom units back in the day though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, dude, the PeeWee absolutely stomps the AK in effectiveness. It is not even close.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So I'm on the last mission of the Shadowhand (Imperial) campaign in the Dark Reign expansion. I've been playing the current save for at least two hours, and I still have a fair amount of time to go. The problem is at this point I'm in absolutely no danger of losing, but the enemy base is large enough and well defended enough that I have to plink it down a little at a time. I was hoping I could just nuke all the production buildings and then mop up, but it seems the AI wants to have a minimum number of each building. So I'm going to have to take out the HQs, then the production buildings. It would have been nice if the thing wasn't massively ringed with Tachyon cannons and be utterly full of hills so I could build up a more consistent ground force and just steam roll over.

I'm really hoping the other campaign's final mission isn't as bad as this; I'd like to finish this expansion before Deus Ex hits.