World is Falling Apart Thread (Locked forever)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Flake

Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...

Post by Flake »

corn619 wrote: I'm going to quote your earlier post in saying, "How do you come to that conclusion? There is no empirical data to support that."

Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, the last 10 years...
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Flake wrote:
corn619 wrote: I'm going to quote your earlier post in saying, "How do you come to that conclusion? There is no empirical data to support that."

Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, the last 10 years...
Maybe were misunderstanding each other but, those aren't real democratic nations. What I'm saying is that most of middle east has never really had a democratic society. Sounds like your shooting down the idea of democracy in the middle east before it has a chance to get off the ground.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Flake wrote:
corn619 wrote:Well, if someone here can come up with a better form of government please indulge me. Because so far I'm hearing nothing but complaints and zero solutions.

All of a sudden a lot of my late night conversations with Kingmohd have come in handy.

Democracy works great for nations with European backgrounds. It's what we know. It's all we know. We all (mostly) agree to play by the rules.

In a lot of these countries, they do not have a tradition of fair democracy. They have extremely different cultures from what most of us know. Just assuming that Democracy is the automatic answer is foolhardy because you are not taking into account the people who will have to make up that democracy.

Most of these states house civilizations that number among the oldest on the Earth - if they'd wanted democracy or thought it might work, they probably would have figured it out a long time before the US, England, or France.

The key is for these protesters to find a new form of government that will work the best for their people, even if it's not what a lot of us would prefer.

A more complete colonization by European nations would probably have helped those sorts of nations become successful democracies. I mean, just look at India. They were Britain's biggest colony, and one of the ones held onto the longest, and they are the most successful third world democracy I know of. Of course, we can't retroactively colonize Africa, so something else will have to be done.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

BoringSupreez wrote:I mean, just look at India. They were Britain's biggest colony, and one of the ones held onto the longest, and they are the most successful third world democracy I know of.

I'm not sure I'd consider India "third-world". "Second-world" probably.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Flake

Post by Flake »

corn619 wrote:Sounds like your shooting down the idea of democracy in the middle east before it has a chance to get off the ground.

I am not shooting it down. The attempted applications of democracy in many Islamic states have already shot it down. Look at Lebanon? Who did they vote in? A terrorist organization. Look at Syria? They have had a 'state of emergency' since the 1960's forbidding the formation of opposing political parties. In Afghanistan elections were put up and what happened? The old Taliban regime was put back into place. We get people voting in Iraq and you have people getting their damn thumbs cut off for in acts of sectarian violence.

I can go on.

I am not bashing democracy. I am saying that it does not look like the answer here.

YoshiEgg25 wrote:I'm not sure I'd consider India "third-world". "Second-world" probably.

@Yoshi, there is no such thing as 'second world' anymore. It was a cold war term, not an economic evaluator.
Last edited by Flake on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:I mean, just look at India. They were Britain's biggest colony, and one of the ones held onto the longest, and they are the most successful third world democracy I know of.

I'm not sure I'd consider India "third-world". "Second-world" probably.

Well, it certainly was in the past, which shows how far they've been able to come on their own compared to most other third world countries in a sixty year period.

Flake wrote:
YoshiEgg25 wrote:I'm not sure I'd consider India "third-world". "Second-world" probably.

@Yoshi, there is no such thing as 'second world' anymore. It was a cold war term, not an economic evaluator.

Yes, the first world was NATO and it's allies, the third world was the Warsaw Pact nations and their satellites, and the second world were nations unaffiliated with either group. The term third world started to mean poorly developed non-western nations because due to the failures of communism, most of the third world was poor, especially the ones outside of Europe, like North Korea and the areas of Central Asia that used to be part of Russia.
Last edited by BoringSupreez on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Flake

Post by Flake »

BoringSupreez wrote: Of course, we can't retroactively colonize Africa, so something else will have to be done.

WHA? It would be better if we could retroactively DE-colonize Africa. Like hop in the way back machine and stop Europe from screwing that continent up five ways from Sunday. Ask the Congolese if they think they needed a little more colonization. Or the Rawandans if being administered by the Germans was the best thing since cool ranch nachos.

The 1884 Berlin Conference doomed that entire continent.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Flake wrote:
corn619 wrote:Sounds like your shooting down the idea of democracy in the middle east before it has a chance to get off the ground.

I am not shooting it down. The attempted applications of democracy in many Islamic states have already shot it down. Look at Lebanon? Who did they vote in? A terrorist organization. Look at Syria? They have had a 'state of emergency' since the 1960's forbidding the formation of opposing political parties. In Afghanistan elections were put up and what happened? The old Taliban regime was put back into place. We get people voting in Iraq and you have people getting their damn thumbs cut off for in acts of sectarian violence.

I can go on.

I am not bashing democracy. I am saying that it does not look like the answer here.

You have to admit though Flake, those were pretty shitty and half assed attempts at Democracy. Maybe Democracy isn't the answer there I don't know. I just don't see them coming up with something better thats for sure. I just hope in the end, its the majority of people that decide what they want not a terrorist or dictator. I don't care if its democracy or not, I just hope its a peaceful way of life.
Flake

Post by Flake »

corn619 wrote: You have to admit though Flake, those were pretty shitty and half assed attempts at Democracy.

Lol, I know. But in that part of the world what do you have to work with? Egypt?

corn619 wrote:I just hope in the end, its the majority of people that decide what they want not a terrorist or dictator. I don't care if its democracy or not, I just hope its a peaceful way of life.

Agreed. The last thing anyone needs / wants is another Saudi Arabia.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Flake wrote:
corn619 wrote: You have to admit though Flake, those were pretty shitty and half assed attempts at Democracy.

Lol, I know. But in that part of the world what do you have to work with? Egypt?

corn619 wrote:I just hope in the end, its the majority of people that decide what they want not a terrorist or dictator. I don't care if its democracy or not, I just hope its a peaceful way of life.

Agreed. The last thing anyone needs / wants is another Saudi Arabia.
Not to get off topic, but I noticed you finished KOF 97 on your backloggery. I just picked up KOF XI for the PS2. Its my new hands down favorite retro console fighter. My friends and I have been having some major informal tournaments with this game. Its been the best $7.00 I've spent in a while. My fricking right thumb is swollen I've been playing so much. I love the way fighting games bring people together. :lol: