[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Post by bmoc »

bmoc wrote:I don't think a price has been announced yet. If I were to bet on it, I'd say it might be around the cost of a PSIO. I doubt it would go over $200 just based on how big it is.

So I was wrong...

Satiator pricing was just announced at a whopping $259.99 (with a small discount for current Patreon supporters). Still, that is less than the cost of many physical Saturn games these days.

The first 100 units will go on sale within 7 days. This will likely be limited to current Patreon supporters. There is a queue system in place based on how long you have been a patron. Production has begun on the next 1000 units. Despite Professor Abrasive being based in Australia, the units will be made and shipped in the US.

I checked my position in the queue. I was pretty surprised to see that I am in the 50s. Looks like I will be able to get one of the first 100 though I will seriously have to raid the couch for spare change.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Whoa, that's much higher than I was thinking. Has the hardware changed much since that first YouTube video was released? I was hoping for around $100 to be competitive to other devices, but was kind of expecting $100-200. But $260... too much money for me. I mean, I'd love an ODE solution for my Saturn, but I can't afford that!

How about the Fenrir? I don't think we've talked about that one yet in this thread. It's a Saturn ODE for 80 Euros.

https://www.retrorgb.com/fenrir-sega-sa ... dates.html
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

It has been quite a while since I watched that first Youtube video. I'm certain there have been lots of changes to get it from proof-of-concept to a retail product. RetroRGB did a preview of a beta unit a while back which probably the most up-to-date look at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j11SgTcagMY

I can't recall if the Action Replay cart issue got resolved. I think I remember him saying that he was working on it. I already have an official 4MB cart and I just nabbed a cheap 1MB cart on eBay just in case. I have a few SNK games that don't work right with the Action Replay. It will be nice to get them to run properly.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, that's a pretty steep convenience charge, especially for one who's late to the party.

I totally would have paid that if this came out a few years ago. But with so many other options now, I'm not sure I need it. I have a Reah/Phoebe/MODE for each of my Saturns at this point (MODE is going in a Dreamcast though).

I wonder if it works with an ODE already installed? Redundant yes, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

This is arguably more expensive than a Polymega (if someone was buying mainly for Saturn use). You would need a video converter and Scart cable for HDMI, not to mention the cost of a Sega system.
Of course, that hasn't seen release yet either :( .

I'll wait until hype dies down for it before I decide if I'll get the Satiator. I don't need it, but I like the Saturn enough to get all options.

It would be neat if it allowed you to dump memory cards and such. I could see unique functions for this that could make it worthwhile.
...just another lost soul...
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Comparisons to MODE are certainly fair. The Satiator is about $60 more that the MODE (based on StoneAgeGamer price) with the main draw being ease of installation and the ability to still use your optical drive. There are probably some other minor differences in the interface but seeing as I don't have access to either, I won't comment on that. I hope Professor Abrasive releases some more info about the final version along with what works and what doesn't.

The obvious advantage that they both have over Rhea/Phoebe/Fenrir is that you don't have to have specific hardware revision of a Saturn for it to work. However, Fenrir is looking really solid, is relatively easy to install, and is significantly cheaper. If you have a model compatible with Fenrir, it is definitely worth consideration if you don't mind taking out your optical drive.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have a chipped round button Saturn, and an oval button Saturn with a dead optical drive and that's the one I was hoping to get an ODE for. I know the Rhea/Phoebe is for the 20 and 21-pin chip difference, but which one is Fenrir compatible with?
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Ziggy587 wrote:I have a chipped round button Saturn, and an oval button Saturn with a dead optical drive and that's the one I was hoping to get an ODE for. I know the Rhea/Phoebe is for the 20 and 21-pin chip difference, but which one is Fenrir compatible with?

Fenrir is for 20-pin cable only (so far).
Your oval button Saturn is most likely 20-pin (both of my oval button US Saturns have been 20-pin), but you'd have to open it up and check to be sure.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

nightrnr wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I have a chipped round button Saturn, and an oval button Saturn with a dead optical drive and that's the one I was hoping to get an ODE for. I know the Rhea/Phoebe is for the 20 and 21-pin chip difference, but which one is Fenrir compatible with?

Fenrir is for 20-pin cable only (so far).
Your oval button Saturn is most likely 20-pin (both of my oval button US Saturns have been 20-pin), but you'd have to open it up and check to be sure.

Nice, thanks. So I think I'll look into getting the Fenrir then, being that it's currently the cheapest and it supports the revision Saturn I was to install it in.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I've been reading some of the comments on Professor Abrasive's Patreon. It is a mixture of excitement, sticker shock, and people that think Patreon is some sort of layaway service. The first two I get but the people that think they deserve a heftier discount when one was never promised is astounding. That said, Professor Abrasive has hinted at possibly doing something more for Patreon supporters. We should know what that is in the next few days.

I'll definitely be getting one since I have been investing in it for so long. I haven't invested a lot mind you. I have just been doing it since 2017 (I had forgotten it has been that long). I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I still think it's an awesome product, conceptually. But that price point... I'm just shocked it's so much. And disappointed, really.