SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Tanooki »

5-6 hours ago Cluster updated and released Hakchi2 -- full SNES support on that box now too.

Many hacker types over at the snesmini reddit have been going nuts cracking up against figuring out the ROM format, header and footer format too. It appears the evidence is now pointing towards anything the New3DS/WiiU version of the Virtual Console-SNES emulator WILL in fact run on the SNES Mini (plus the FX1+FX2 which they don't.)

This means DSP1, SA1, FX1, FX2, and SDD1(SF Alpha 2/Star Ocean.)

Up in the air for now I guess are the one game wonders for the DSP2, 3 and 4, and the SPC and other one/few use JP only release carts. US library minus OBC1-Metal Combat for Super Scope 6, DSP2-Dungeon Master, and DSP4-Top Gear 3000 should all work if someone wants to make a loaded US library mini SNES for themselves.

This isn't up to date but it gives a chipped game list, SFAlpha2 was jsut figured out in the last hour. https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNES/comme ... ess_going/
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I've been watching some of the youtube videos of people who have hacked their systems and imported 200+ games already. All the features seem to work and everything looks exactly as if it was meant to be there all along.

Why did Nintendo leave so much empty space on the hardware? 300Mb with only 80mb filled? Wouldn't the best way to have prevented piracy been not to leave so much empty space on the thing?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

It's entirely possible that it would have been more expensive to have a smaller amount of storage on it, due to the common sizes being produced by chip manufacturers. Getting smaller might have required them to special order a small chip, and that would have cost more than using a standard commercially available size which is more than they need.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Betagam7 wrote:Why did Nintendo leave so much empty space on the hardware? 300Mb with only 80mb filled? Wouldn't the best way to have prevented piracy been not to leave so much empty space on the thing?

Nintendo was fully aware the SNES Classic would be used for piracy, and they were fully aware people would buy it explicitly for that purpose. Nintendo went so far as to leave a cheeky note for hackers to find in the firmware, which acknowledged this fact. Basically Nintendo is willing to look the other way in the interest of selling more SNES Classics.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:It's entirely possible that it would have been more expensive to have a smaller amount of storage on it, due to the common sizes being produced by chip manufacturers. Getting smaller might have required them to special order a small chip, and that would have cost more than using a standard commercially available size which is more than they need.

Yep, very much so. It's the same reason you only find certain sizes of flash drives for sale, for example. You just can't get the chips cheaply anymore. The memory size they're using is still ridiculously small these days as far as flash memory goes.

Exhuminator wrote:Nintendo was fully aware the SNES Classic would be used for piracy, and they were fully aware people would buy it explicitly for that purpose. Nintendo went so far as to leave a cheeky note for hackers to find in the firmware, which acknowledged this fact. Basically Nintendo is willing to look the other way in the interest of selling more SNES Classics.

I was actually pretty happy about that. Honestly, the sort of person that will hack their SNES Classic Mini is also the person that has been emulating for forever. Having it hackable actually increases the appeal, and the actual target audience won't know any better anyway. Either way, Nintendo gets money.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I think I may try and actively get another one or two of the systems. One for my kid when she's a few years older and gets a better grasp on the NES level of gaming before moving into added buttons because I know they'll just get nastier on pricing when they're off the market. Then obviously one to hakchi as well. I didn't care enough to bother doing that with the NES system, despite growing up more with it as SNES was a high school era box, it has more games that just haven't aged as well. SNES has this odd level of quality that matches or sometimes still surpasses the mobile gaming non-3D arena stuff so it has this timeless feel to it. I could see stuffing the US library of games on a system or some hybrid of that and some SFC goodies given the space constraints.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Well, good luck with that Tanooki.
I'm STILL waiting for my one unit that I was miraculously able to secure as a preorder on Amazon back in August.
I was a little ticked when I found out about the "Treasure Trucks" (sure go and promote something that doesn't need promoting and leave the people who already ordered high and dry :( :evil: :cry: ).

But whatever. as soon as I get a proper SCART cable for my SNES, I can hook the actual old system up via HDMI through my newly acquired OSSC 8) .

...just no Star Fox 2... or neat save state or rewind features :| .
...just another lost soul...
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Got one this afternoon. A Gamestop near me had a "couple" of SNES Classics in stock.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Exhuminator wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:Why did Nintendo leave so much empty space on the hardware? 300Mb with only 80mb filled? Wouldn't the best way to have prevented piracy been not to leave so much empty space on the thing?

Nintendo was fully aware the SNES Classic would be used for piracy, and they were fully aware people would buy it explicitly for that purpose. Nintendo went so far as to leave a cheeky note for hackers to find in the firmware, which acknowledged this fact. Basically Nintendo is willing to look the other way in the interest of selling more SNES Classics.

What does the note say? It's pretty funny how Nintendo has gone from wholesale against-the-grain decisions purely to combat piracy (cartridges for N64 instead of CDs) to leaving notes for hackers.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

I'm really happy with mine, even if my inner 11 year old wants to freak out about the plastic they used for the controller being a little different.

I still think it's really unusual that they went through the trouble to provide 2 controllers, but only a handful of co-op/versus multiplayer games. This thing really needed something like Tetris Attack or Super Bomberman so that 2nd controller would actually get used once in a while