Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2022

Post by Markies »

Note wrote:Image

23. Final Fantasy II (SNES)

Great Review Note!

Final Fantasy II will always be a class in my mind. The game is a perfect starter RPG for Final Fantasy fans or for anybody really. The story is a little bit crazy with a ton of twists and turns. But, the classic characters as jobs, the simple battle system and easy accessibility make it a great jumping off point.

If you are interested, check out Final Fantasy Chronicles on the PS1. It has the Japanese Version or the real Final Fantasy VI. It adds new abilities and is MUCH harder than the original.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Markies wrote:Great Review Note!

Final Fantasy II will always be a class in my mind. The game is a perfect starter RPG for Final Fantasy fans or for anybody really. The story is a little bit crazy with a ton of twists and turns. But, the classic characters as jobs, the simple battle system and easy accessibility make it a great jumping off point.

If you are interested, check out Final Fantasy Chronicles on the PS1. It has the Japanese Version or the real Final Fantasy VI. It adds new abilities and is MUCH harder than the original.

Thanks, Markies! I totally agree with you and think this is a good game to start with for those that may not be as familiar with RPGs from this era. Appreciate the tip about the differences in the version on the Final Fantasy Chronicles package on PS1. Luckily, I already own this! Admittedly, I purchased it back when released to play Chrono Trigger, but perhaps I will try out the FF IV port down the line, to check out the differences between the games.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Bloodwash for Switch. Torture Star Video's latest melding of low-poly PS1-era survival horror and dingy '80s VHS horror films follows a young pregnant woman who finds herself having to venture out to an all-night laundromat and soon catches the sight of a serial killer dubbed The Womb Ripper.

Sadly this game isn't too long (1-2 hours) but it's still quite unnerving.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...so I finished Beacon Pines last Sunday, I started it simply trying to finish up a weekly Microsoft challenge. I was only looking for a quick achievement, but I got sucked into the just having to see what twist or turn the story would take next. Next thing I know it's 6-hours later and I'm wrapping the game up. Beacon Pines a 2D adventure game that I've seen classified as horror, but I don't think the art style and novel style presentation really lend itself to that. It's something like an episode of Stranger Things mixed into Oxenfree, maybe not the best examples but it's going to have to work. It isn't quite as dark or moody, but the town and its citizens definitely has it secrets and it's your job along w/your friends to get to bottom of your father's death and mother's disappearance...while also figuring out how mysterious activity at the abandoned fertilizer plant works into all of it. You'll see plenty of bad endings and maybe even a not so good one before you make it to the end of the game, but at a weekend's worth of time I think Beacon Pines worth checking out. It's free for Gamepass members but also on the Switch and Steam, I'm hoping it gets picked up for a physical release as I'll be glad to double dip for this one.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

I 100%ed a childhood favorite, Ape Escape on the PS1.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2021 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
* indicates a repeat

1. Dandy Dungeon: The Legend of Brave Yamada (Switch)
2. Dandy Dungeon 2: The Phantom Bride (Switch)
3. Mon Amor (Switch)
4. Terraria (PC)
5. Puppeteer (PS3) *
6. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon (PS1)
7. Project Altered Beast (PS2)
8. Devil Summoner II: Soul Hackers (Saturn)
9. Kirby Star Allies: Heroes in Another Dimension (Switch)
10. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
11. Tales of Vesperia (PS3) *
12. Art Style: BOXLIFE (DSi)
13. Super Robot Wars F (Saturn)
14. Super Robot Wars F Final (Saturn)
15. Super Robot Wars 64 (N64)
16. Knight Gundam Monogatari (SFC)
17. Knight Gundam Monogatari 2 (SFC)
18. Mega Man Legends 2 (PSP)
19. Mighty No. 9 (PC)
20. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)
21. Mega Man Xtreme 2 (GBC)
22. Super Robot Wars Alpha (PS1)
23. Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (PS1)
24. Vampire Hunter D (PS1)
25. Super Robot Wars Alpha 2 (PS2)
26. Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 (PS2)
27. Super Robot Wars 2: Complete Box Edition (PS1)
28. Super Robot Wars 3: Complete Box Edition (PS1)

29. Super Robot Wars EX: Complete Box Edition (PS1)
(re-review)

A few weeks back, I dragged myself through the first of the three scenarios in this and thoroughly didn’t really care for it. I didn’t care for it to such an extent that I totally wrote off playing through the other two, and kinda got fed up with SRW in general. But after writing a pretty biting review and then sorta drifting around among not playing anything at all for a week, I decided to give the other two scenarios a chance. I’m really thankful I did, because I ended up enjoying them much much more than that first one. I’m not sure I’ve ever outright written a replacement review on purpose, but this is one case where it’s absolutely deserved. EX still certainly isn’t my favorite SRW game. It isn’t even my favorite of the three games in the Complete Box remake pack. But it’s definitely a game I can recommend much more easily than I could before. It took me around 60 or 70 hours to get through all three scenarios on original hardware.

Taking a bit of an unconventional approach from just about any other SRW game (at least that I’m aware of), EX has not just one story with diverging paths, but three different scenarios with very slight paths within them (with one exception being a sorta route 3.5 tucked in the middle of the second scenario, which I did not play). A month or so after the events of SRW 3, several of our heroes find themselves sucked into the world inside the Earth of La Gias, a world of high technology and magic. Each of the three scenarios follows one of three main characters going through different events in the conflict concurrently to one another that increase in difficulty as they go along. The first is the most dull and the easiest and more or less sets up the world and its conflicts and principle players, the second is the other main side of that conflict but still good guys, and the third is playing as a more grey hero on a third, tertiary side of the conflict.

I was originally very harsh on the writing in this game having only played through the first scenario. It focuses very hard on the original characters in an overly boated plot that sidelines the more interesting characters HARD, and makes the debut licensed series in this game, Aura Battler Dunbine and Go Shogun, feel like very distant tertiary concerns (because quite frankly they are), and while it isn’t a huge deal, the new series introduced in SRW 3 being all absent here (no Raideen, Combattler V, or Daitarn 3) was also a bummer. The second and third scenarios are written much better, with far better pacing and usage of licensed characters, and while they do still focus on the original characters more than I’d like, they’re far better conceived narratives than the first scenario. It’s only a shame that you need to play through the first two scenarios to unlock the third one, as slogging through scenario 1’s Fire Emblem wannabe plot is nowhere near as fun as the content it’s gating.

There’s also a neat system where you can use the completed save data from previous scenario playthroughs to alter your playthroughs of successive scenarios (and playing through the second scenario again after playing through the third is how you get that 3.5 route I didn’t do), which is a neat system but ultimately not all that thoroughly used or interesting in its execution. The writing is very uneven, with relatively high peaks but very low valleys, and while scenarios 2 and 3 are much more like the other Winky Soft-era SRW games in their quality, the very boring and poorly paced first scenario gives EX the odd man out of having easily some of my favorite and least favorite writing in the Complete Box games (with Scenario 3 being my personal favorite of the bunch).

Mechanically and design-wise, we’re still very much similar to the other remakes found in the Complete Box. Counter attacks are a thing, equippable items are a thing, pilots and mechs being separate is a thing, and pilot passive skills are a thing (which itself is something I only recently realized was an innovation of SRW 4, meaning none of the first batch of SRW games on SNES had passives :O). The thing most worth mentioning in the mechanics is the level design. Where SRW 2 was one shorter campaign with very few units, and SRW 3 had a fair few more units along a significantly longer campaign, EX is three campaigns that all play like they have the unit count of SRW 2 but the capacity for level design of SRW 3. What comes out of that is generally some very well put together campaigns, but we’ve gotten a bit further into the bad habits that started popping up in SRW 3.

While I definitely dig the more puzzle-like approach of fielding basically all of your units in every map (something much more present in the second and third scenarios than in the first), what I really don’t enjoy are how SO many maps have so many huge damage sponge bosses to contend with (especially in the first scenario). It isn’t even particularly a challenge, as there (thankfully) isn’t even a total turn counter you’re playing against for a best ending (like SRW 3 and 4 have). They’re just there to drag things out, and in a game with unskippable battle scenes, I really didn’t appreciate that. The other elephant in the room is occasional HUGE jump in difficulty that will just ambush you out of nowhere. Just about each one of the scenarios has at least one really brutal mission (with the worst being in scenario 2, for me), and that’s not counting the awful mission each of them has where you’re just fighting three to five super huge boss-type enemies. The unavailability of little enemies to grind up willpower with means that a meaningful portion of your army (especially the Aura Battler Dunbine guys) are basically useless because their only worthwhile moves are willpower gated, and they just about always devolve into a frustrating slog of how to use your resources in such a way that you can still take them out. While that *sounds* fun in concept (it even sounded fun typing it out here despite having already gone through it), they’re so taxing and often leave so little room for error that they end up being far less fun than the other puzzle-like missions of the game.

The presentation of the game is very much par for the course for the other Complete Box games. Pretty decent music for Winky Soft’s PS1 games, and nice enough animations and sprites. The big new addition worth talking about are all of the isekai-type magic-y mechas in the world of La Gias. They’re on the whole alright. I’m not a huge fan of most of SRW’s original designs, particularly during the Winky Soft era, but they’re still nicely made even if they’re by and large far too over-designed for their own good.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. The quality of the later two scenarios definitely makes me no longer Not Recommend this game, but the low quality of the first scenario makes it really hard to outright Recommend. This is definitely a game worth playing if you’ve enjoyed your time with the rest of the Complete Box, but it just isn’t quite the shining star of the collection it’s otherwise so close to being.

The Complete Box as a whole is something I definitely Recommend though, if you’re a SRW fan who can read Japanese. It’s a really well done and well thought out set of graphical upgrades and re-balances for some old classics, and they’re well worth checking out if later Winky Soft games like 4 or F/F Final were ones you found good but wanting of some more tweaking. They’re a lovely sendoff from Winky Soft for their era of SRW, and despite the frustrations and bumps in the road here and there, I’m really glad I gave them a look~.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 60
1. Space Warrior (Switch)
2. Itta (Switch)
3. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn (Switch)
4. Mask of Mists (Switch)
5. Metagal (Switch)
6. Foxyland 2 (Switch)
7. Submerged (Switch)
8. Back to Bed (Switch)
9. Thoth (Switch)
10. 140 (Switch)
11. Infinite: Beyond the Mind (Switch)
12. Ninja Striker (Switch)
13. Kid Tripp (Switch)
14. Miles & Kilo (Switch)
15. Neon Junctions (Switch)
16. Golf Zero (Switch)
17. 198X (Switch)
18. Macbat 64 (Switch)
19. Kiwi 64 (Switch)
20. Toree 3D (Switch)
21. Toree 2 (Switch)
22. #RaceDieRun (Switch)
23. Micetopia (Switch)
24. Tomena Sanner (Wii)
25. Contra ReBirth (Wii)
26. Unstrong Legacy (Switch)
27. Quarantine Circular (Switch)
28. Infernax (Switch)
29. Cosmos Bit (Switch)
30. Ape Out (Switch)
31. Return of the Double Dragon (Super Famicom)
32. Contra (Famicom)
33. Summer Carnival ‘92 RECCA (Famicom)
34. Bionic Commando (Arcade)
35. Shinobi (Arcade)
36. Super Meat Boy (Switch)
37. Chex Quest HD (Switch)
38. King’s Field II (PSX)
39. Mechstermination Force (Switch)
40. Swords and Bones (Switch)
41. The Solitaire Conspiracy (Switch)
42. Super Cyborg (Switch)
43. Blazing Chrome (Switch)
44. Son Wukong v. Robot (Switch)
45. King’s Field III: Pilot Style (PS1)
46. Kirby’s Dreamland 2 (GB)
47. Metal Gear (NES)
48. Vampire Killer (MSX)
49. Super Skelemania (Switch)
50. Just Shapes & Beats (Switch)
51. Super Cable Boy (Switch)
52. Rainbow Laser Disco Dungeon (Switch)
53. Elden Ring (Xbox)
54. Rite (Switch)
55. Journey of a Broken Circle (Switch)
56. Don’t Touch This Button! (Switch)
57. Back Again (Switch)
58. What Remains of Edith Finch (Switch)
59. Bleed (Switch)
60. Tunic (Switch)

61. Beeny (Switch)
62. Fatum Betula (Switch)

Two incredibly short games:

Beeny is a very, very short platform game from Siactro, the one person team behind MacBat 64, Toree 3D, and Toree 2. All of the developer’s games are styled after classic Rare games. (The 3D platformers borrow heavily from Banjo Kazooie, and Beeny, with its chunky, pre-rendered graphics and ambient soundtrack is clearly inspired, aesthetically, by DKC.) Moreover, all of the developer’s games are $0.99, and most of them are tremendous values. (Toree 2 is sublime.) Beeny is the exception in this regard. It plays like one of the animal friends bonus stages from DKC, but with the difficulty toned down and the length extended to about 30 minutes. Beating the game opens up a trial level for the developer’s upcoming game Kiwi 64, and a laughably easy time-trial mode that extends the game’s length by, maybe, ten minutes. I like this developer, and I appreciate the low price, but this game, which feels a lot like a free promotional game, really should have been a free promotional game.

Fatum Betula is the haunted PS1 game: a surreal, intermittently unsettling first-person adventure game with rough PS1-era textures, chunky polygons, and grainy FMV. (The grainy FMV intro showing high-tech CD technology is particularly great.) You can beat the game in just a few minutes, but the game has 10+ endings. Unlocking more than a few takes a lot of experimentation, and really adds to the game’s value. Despite its short length, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, and it’s perfect at its usual, very low asking price.
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

Note wrote:
Markies wrote:Great Review Note!

Thanks, Markies! I totally agree with you and think this is a good game to start with for those that may not be as familiar with RPGs from this era. Appreciate the tip about the differences in the version on the Final Fantasy Chronicles package on PS1. Luckily, I already own this! Admittedly, I purchased it back when released to play Chrono Trigger, but perhaps I will try out the FF IV port down the line, to check out the differences between the games.

I love the GBA port of FFIV. The music takes a little bit of a hit, which is a bummer, and I've heard there are some other weird glitches too. But I love being able to have all the surviving cast rejoin my party for the final dungeon, and the bonus dungeon is actually kind of neat, especially compared with the bonus dungeons added in the GBA ports of FFV and VI, which were really just slogs. My favorite bit about that port is, per my understanding, since in the original release they never really intended for Cid, Edward, Yang, Palom, or Porom to reach any of the higher levels, they never really bothered working on the statistical curves of those characters. They just sort of threw numbers in a chart and called it a day. Which means that, when you do level them up beyond where they'd typically be when they exit the party, some of them become wildly overpowered. I remember when I played, Cid's regular attacks were doing ludicrous amounts of damage. I thought it was maybe a conscious effort by the developers to make him viable in the late game, since he can't really do anything else worthwhile but attack. But as I understand it now, they just left his previously broken stats alone.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (PC)(Action Adventure)
2. The Citadel (PC)(FPS)
3. Gothic 3 (PC)(RPG)
4. Witchaven (PC)(FPS)
5. Unpacking (PC)(Puzzle)
6. Firewatch (PC)(Adventure)
7. Perilous Warp (PC)(FPS)

8. The Ascent (PC)(RPG)
9. Borderlands: Game of the Year Enhanced - The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (PC)(FPS/RPG)
10. Borderlands: Game of the Year Enhanced - The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (PC)(FPS/RPG)
11. Borderlands: Game of the Year Enhanced - Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (PC)(FPS/RPG)

12. Kingdom of the Dead (PC)(FPS)
13. Monument (PC)(FPS)
14. Bloodwash (PC)(Horror Adventure)
15. Dead Estate (PC)(Isometric Shooter)

16. Lost in Vivo (PC)(Survival Horror)
17. Star Explorers (PC)(FPS)
18. Dark Souls Remastered (Switch)(RPG)
19. NAM (PC)(FPS)
20. WWII GI (PC)(FPS)
21. Necromunda: Hired Gun (PC)(FPS)
22. Quake: Dimension of the Past (PC)(FPS)
23. Quake: Dimension of the Machine (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake: Scourge of Armagon (PC)(FPS)
25. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)(FPS)

26. Huntdown (PC)(Run and Gun)
27. A.W.O.L. (PC)(FPS)
28. Hands of Necromancy (PC)(FPS)
29. Cyberpunk 2077 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
30. Prodeus (PC)(FPS)
31. Tails of Iron (Switch)(Action)

In Tails of Iron, you play Redgi, the young rat prince who becomes king of his people...only for them to be viciously slaughtered in an invasion by the frogs. Your father murdered, your people butchered, and your brothers taken as prisoners of war, you have to take up the sword and hack and slash your way through a variety of insects, frogs, and undead to restore your kingdom. And you have to do it while engaging in tough combat sequences involving precision timing and reading your opponents to know when and where to block or dodge.

Combat is the main draw of Tails of Iron. Despite the hand drawn art style, you will be taking down massive boss monsters, often resulting in Redgi splattered in green gore. You will shatter skulls, disembowel foes, and butcher bugs in the field for much needed healing. As gorgeous as everything is, and as cutesy as it can be to play a little rat king wearing a crown, the game received the "Soulslike" moniker for its difficulty and brutality. Tails of Iron is, perhaps surprisingly, not for the faint of heart.

And it does this with generally minimal music, really letting you focus on the heavy whacks of blows against your enemies. What music you do get is pleasing, though at one point you encounter a race of subterranean beings whose taste leads towards the jarring, a change that reveals their tech level just as much as it reveals how unusual they are compared to the ratkin.

But really, it's combat that brings you here. Enemies telegraph whether you should block or dodge, though often briefly. Expect to die a lot as you learn new bosses and battles, but also expect over time to pick up the techniques you need. There are still times where you'll struggle, even as you pick up the basics and then advanced understandings of range, attack speeds, and use of poisons and projectiles. But each new foe defeated opens up further areas to explore, so the struggle is worth it.

My only complaint is that I experienced a couple of crashes while playing. This wouldn't really have bothered me if they hadn't been after boss fights the times that it happened. However, having to go back again and beat the final boss for a second time showed me I had just gotten lucky, not good. Queue multiple failures before I managed to do it again.

Still, I greatly enjoyed Tails of Iron. If you want some light platforming and heavy combat, it's a game worth playing. Same if you like Metroidvanias but want something a little different than the traditional.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021

First 50:
1. Underworld Ascendant - PC
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
3. Ni no Kuni - PS3
4. Operencia: The Stolen Sun - PC
5. RPM Racing - PC
6. Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem - PC
7. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch
8. Ni no Kuni II - PS4
9. Everspace - PC
10. PowerSlave Exhumed - PC
11. Horizon Forbidden West - PS5
12. Elden Ring - PS5
13. Shadow Warrior 3 - PC
14. Ghostrunner: Project_Hel - PC
15. Triangle Strategy - Switch
16. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - PC
17. Nightmare Reaper - PC
18. Kur - PC
19. Gundam Versus - PS4
20. BIOTA - PC
21. Chantelise - PC
22. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
23. Forgive Me Father - PC
24. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U
25. Steel Assault - Switch
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - Switch
27. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Switch
28. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country - Switch
29. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Switch
30. Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron - Genesis
31. Postal Brain Damaged - PC
32. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth - PSP
33. Super Cyborg - Switch
34. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2 - Switch
35. Stray - PC
36. Live A Live - Switch
37. Subwar 2050 - PC
38. Radical Dreamers - Switch
39. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Switch
40. Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 - Switch
41. Soul Hackers 2 - PS5
42. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters - NES
43. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan - GB
44. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers - GB
45. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters - Genesis
46. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters - SNES
47. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue - GB
48. Molek-Syntez - PC
49. Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria - PS2
50. Exapunks - PC

51. Prodeus - PC
52. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero - Switch
53. Arkos - PC
54. Valkyrie Elysium - PS5

Valkyrie Elysium is a spiritual successor to the Valkyrie Profile series. Its logo calls back to the original logo, and it continues the themes of a Japanese take on Norse mythology. But it's overall a lesser game than the ones that came before. A resurrection of the IP this is not.

The game's plot is basically a retread of the first game's. Ragnarok is near, Odin needs the Valkyrie to do soul stuff to keep the world from being ended, you slowly realize Odin is a dick, and then you fall into one of a few endings depending on certain flags. Unlike the first game, this one makes it fairly straightforward to trigger the best ending. All the key triggers are at the very end of the game, so you won't lock yourself out midway through by not taking an unintuitive set of steps.

While the series always had an action component (with juggling of enemies for benefits), this game drops the RPG stuff and is a pure action game akin to God of War. Even your enhancement is the same sort of "get orbs from enemies, and we dole them out so your power curve is fixed with no ability to grind". The combat is solid but doesn't really do anything too interesting. Basic attack chains with a heavy attack as a modifier, you can grapple onto enemies to gap close and do a different set of attacks, and you have a quick dodge. You can summon your einherjar to act as a temporary secondary damage source, as well as imbuing your attacks with elemental power to stagger enemies. And you can cast spells from a meter that regenerates as you deal damage.

One thing that really struck me is that the game has an overall half-finished feel. It's like they pushed the minimum viable product out the door because the money ran out. Some of this is in just how empty the world is. While the plot has the world in dire straits, every single environment is completely abandoned feeling, aside from the obligatory monsters. The set of story NPCs is extremely small, and there's just a general lack of life. There are also some story transitions and jumps that don't quite fit together right. This was most apparent in the cutscene before the final boss. You give a speech, strike a dramatic pose, then a quick cut to the final boss arena with the characters shielding their eyes as if some sort of light explosion had happened in the previous cutscene. It's like they forgot to animate that part. But most damning is the fact that the game has six elements but only five enemy weaknesses. The earth element never once is an enemy weakness, even though you get a spell for it. Several lightning enemies instead are coded as ice weakness for some reason. My guess is that they ran out of time and originally were going to have an earth element einherjar.

All in all, this game almost feels like a "we need to renew a licensing deal" or something, which is weird because the IP is owned by Square already. Or maybe they're testing the waters, like how Nintendo did with the Metroid 2 remake. Well, this is not nearly as good, and is definitely not a good successor to the original series. I'd give it a pass for just being really mediocre.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.