The Retro PC Thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The Retro PC Thread

Post by noiseredux »

ExedExes wrote:That looks almost like my 6370z! I can't get get any pics of the back, but it looks like the '98 box I had.

is this what the back of your 6370z looks like?

http://www.tbfcomputing.com/ebaypicture ... 0_1859.jpg

That's very similar to the 8560c, though it doesn't have s-video.

Anyway, I'd be happy to work on this one if I could easily disassemble it. I need to replace the HDD and CD drive, but it's not very tinker-friendly.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

If it's ATX, then why not just get a new case? Good cases don't have to be expensive.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ziggy587 wrote:If it's ATX, then why not just get a new case? Good cases don't have to be expensive.

I'd need to figure out how to take it apart to get the mobo out... it's very crowded in there.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

A dremel and a metal cutting blade will get it out...just saying.

I just got rid of all of my retro Windows PCs a couple weeks ago. Well retro meaning more than 12 years old, my old gaming pc was built to play HL2 so I guess thats technically a retro pc now. I still have my original Atom Netbook and Atom 330 tower for the random XP game that doesnt work in 7.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

noiseredux wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:If it's ATX, then why not just get a new case? Good cases don't have to be expensive.

I'd need to figure out how to take it apart to get the mobo out... it's very crowded in there.

Just keep removing screws until you empty the case? If you're gonna ditch the case for a new one, then you don't have to worry about remembering how to put it back together. I know some older cases can be a real pain in the ass with HDD cages and whatnot, but it shouldn't be too hard to get everything out.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

too many projects, too little time!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:
ExedExes wrote:That looks almost like my 6370z! I can't get get any pics of the back, but it looks like the '98 box I had.

is this what the back of your 6370z looks like?

http://www.tbfcomputing.com/ebaypicture ... 0_1859.jpg

Very similar. The labels are the same and the ports were vertical, but mine had a few more, as well as the S-video.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

well I hit up a thrift shop this morning and found a WORKING Windows 98 machine. It's a nice big case to work in, with a Pentium II, 64MB RAM. It's only got an 8GB HDD, but I can expand. It has a CDROM (which I'll probably replace with a spare DVD drive) and a 3.5" floppy drive. If I'm reading the dxdiag correctly, it also has a Rage II AGP GPU installed.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Awesome! That seems like a perfect Win98 machine.

What brand is it? Post pics!

I would probably keep the CD-ROM drive in there if it's still working, but that's just me.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:Awesome! That seems like a perfect Win98 machine.

What brand is it? Post pics!

I would probably keep the CD-ROM drive in there if it's still working, but that's just me.

Remember back in the day you were a BOSS if you had a two or three optical drives hooked up at the same time. 8)

Nowadays I hardly ever use the single optical drive I have.