PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: My PS2 Soft Mod Project 2016 Experience: 9-14-16 Big Upd

Post by noiseredux »

That was Dave, but I am sure he has a ps2 already.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:That was Dave, but I am sure he has a ps2 already.

True, was referring to FMCB & IDE HDD w network adapter if it was already formatted for OPL :).
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Alright, as promised, here are the PCE emulators. I have no idea if there are any more current ones, but they are the only ones I have run across.

Choose only one. The configuration file it creates on your memory card will crash the emulator the second the other one attempts to load and permanently corrupts it for both (finding and deleting the file on MC will fix it).:

-v0.7 has a nicer interface, but is MC only.
-v0.5 is pretty clunky, but loads roms from the hard drive.
-Compatibility sucks, but is nice for the Crush games and Dragon Spirit and sequel (most other shmup games are hit and miss)

--EDIT--
Ooh, and if you get a chance, see if your NES emulator plays Dragon Quest IV. Only one of the 2 I use loads the game.
Attachments
PCE_0.7.zip
Loads roms from memory card or disc only
(142.91 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
PCE_0.5_HDD.zip
Loads roms from Hard Drive
(200.16 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:Alright, as promised, here are the PCE emulators. I have no idea if there are any more current ones, but they are the only ones I have run across.

Choose only one. The configuration file it creates on your memory card will crash the emulator the second the other one attempts to load and permanently corrupts it for both (finding and deleting the file on MC will fix it).:

-v0.7 has a nicer interface, but is MC only.
-v0.5 is pretty clunky, but loads roms from the hard drive.
-Compatibility sucks, but is nice for the Crush games and Dragon Spirit and sequel (most other shmup games are hit and miss)

--EDIT--
Ooh, and if you get a chance, see if your NES emulator plays Dragon Quest IV. Only one of the 2 I use loads the game.

Niceeee!!! Thanks will test the mem card version out.

I'll try to boot DQ4. Then I'll go play the DS version ;)
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Seeing your success makes me want to pick back up on my project for it... Though I'd only want PS2 games on it, I have all the dedicated consoles already. The day I go emulation in my main area is the day I sell everything off.

Have you given any thought (sorry, didn't read entire thread just bits here and there) to one of the 3rd party network adapters that will let you use a SATA drive? When I last tried this, I sent my spare adapter to Snowkitty to mod to SATA ( :( ) but afterwards I discovered they exist.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I forget exactly why, but I've heard those SATA Network Adapters are junk. And IIRC, they don't have ethernet (if that matters to you).

I still only have an 80GB HDD in my PS2. I might want to steal that HDD for one of my retro PCs, since it's PATA. If I do, I'll just grab a SATA adapter and use a laptop size HDD (then you don't have to worry about fitting issues, aside from making sure the small drive doesn't bounce around).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@nightrnr:

Did you get Doom running? I couldn't get the .elf file to run. Went back to DL it and can't even get to it due to ads :?. If you have that file, feel free to attach it :mrgreen:. Looks like I may have to tinker with file a bit?

No go on DQ4 within my version of FCEU. Gray screen.

I did get PCEv0.7 running. I could not get it to load Dragon Spirit. I tried several methods:
- Booting the emulator from both USB/mass
- Boothing the emulator from mem/mc0

Then along with both those placed the ROM:
- mem card root (which is what notes said)
when I did this, the ROM did not even show up
- config folder root on mc0
- dedicated folder named ROMS mc0
- within emulator folder root on mc0

Sure I'm missing something or perhaps it didn't like that particular rom? Any folder I clicked on said "pas de ROM" ... my French is really cajun but that basically means "No ROM"

@KalessinDB

Seeing your success makes me want to pick back up on my project for it... Though I'd only want PS2 games on it, I have all the dedicated consoles already. The day I go emulation in my main area is the day I sell everything off.

Have you given any thought (sorry, didn't read entire thread just bits here and there) to one of the 3rd party network adapters that will let you use a SATA drive? When I last tried this, I sent my spare adapter to Snowkitty to mod to SATA ( :( ) but afterwards I discovered they exist.

The emulators were more of a novelty but I end up having a lot of fun. I have the consoles as well (save the PCE) but my PS2 is always hooked up and ROMS are free. I was surprised how much I enjoyed playing GB, GBC, and GG games on the big screen with a controller. I'll definitely be coming back to the handheld ROMS often.

Do it :twisted: .... in all seriousness, it's been a fun project. I'm looking forward to PS2 HDD gaming for years to come. I'm looking at from a preservation effort perspective (eventually most those PS2 lasers will be dead, already starting) and also as the "ROM cart"/everdrive for the PS2. That was my main driver. I picked up 3 ROM carts earlier in the year and really enjoyed them. That finally motivated me to jump on this project after a few years of considering it.

Nah, I was always looking at IDE/PATA. I think my 250GB IDS was only $20 on ebay new. I ended up having to mod the network adapter to fit the particular drive I bought unfortunately (see p. 3 of thread) :oops: but got it working eventually. Just make sure you check HDD compatibility list out there and stay away from Western Digital drives as they didn't follow the standard spacing at the time. I saw one PATA working on the PSX forums and it wasn't very clean. It was sticking out of the back of the console and looked sloppy. Have to agree with Ziggy there.

__

Updating OP with emulators I have working at the moment.

Edit: OP cleaned up quite a bit for anyone starting the thread now.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

--EDIT (a few times for clarification)--
I am assuming you have an official wad file in there with the elf. Even the shareware should work. I don't think it be in with the emulator initially.

Make sure the elf file is the Doom port from this link:
https://ps2homebrewing.wordpress.com/20 ... -v1-0-5-0/

That should load the standard wads off usb without trouble (hdd option will take some tinkering though). Remember that the resolution is standard (has scan lines). Also, when it loads, pick you wad quickly, it freezes on me if I wait too long.
It's a good source port though; played through Ultimate Doom and halfway through Doom 2 on it.

As for the PCE, try putting your roms in a folder on the memory card. Mine are shared with the PCE_0.7 folder. Then select that folder when you load it up. Also, don't name the roms anything fancy (not sure if that makes a difference, but my longest game name is like 7 or 8 digits).

Otherwise, you could load the hdd version, just remember to delete the right file 1st. It should have roughly the same compatibility, minus analog support.

I do hope you can get it working, as it loads fine for me. Not sure what else to try, but I'll try to troubleshoot for you.
Keep me posted.

Glad you enjoy the Game Boy emulator. It really is the best version out there for PS2.
...just another lost soul...
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Ziggy587 wrote:I forget exactly why, but I've heard those SATA Network Adapters are junk. And IIRC, they don't have ethernet (if that matters to you).

I still only have an 80GB HDD in my PS2. I might want to steal that HDD for one of my retro PCs, since it's PATA. If I do, I'll just grab a SATA adapter and use a laptop size HDD (then you don't have to worry about fitting issues, aside from making sure the small drive doesn't bounce around).

I think it was that they don't have the modem hookup actually, but i haven't looked in forever. Now that laptop drives are dirt cheap I'll likely do the same as you.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:--EDIT (a few times for clarification)--
I am assuming you have an official wad file in there with the elf. Even the shareware should work. I don't think it be in with the emulator initially.

Make sure the elf file is the Doom port from this link:
https://ps2homebrewing.wordpress.com/20 ... -v1-0-5-0/

That should load the standard wads off usb without trouble (hdd option will take some tinkering though). Remember that the resolution is standard (has scan lines). Also, when it loads, pick you wad quickly, it freezes on me if I wait too long.
It's a good source port though; played through Ultimate Doom and halfway through Doom 2 on it.

As for the PCE, try putting your roms in a folder on the memory card. Mine are shared with the PCE_0.7 folder. Then select that folder when you load it up. Also, don't name the roms anything fancy (not sure if that makes a difference, but my longest game name is like 7 or 8 digits).

Otherwise, you could load the hdd version, just remember to delete the right file 1st. It should have roughly the same compatibility, minus analog support.

I do hope you can get it working, as it loads fine for me. Not sure what else to try, but I'll try to troubleshoot for you.
Keep me posted.

Glad you enjoy the Game Boy emulator. It really is the best version out there for PS2.

Been some time since I tried Doom. I'll give it shot again with that file & DL several WADS.

Worth noting the Genesis Wolfenstein 3D port boots great within PGEN so if you ever want some Wolf 3D on PS2 it's there :D. Runs very well. Cool novelty.

I didn't have any luck with the other PS2 homebrew games like Beats of Rage.

Hm, regarding PCE_0.7, I mightve DLed a bad ROM. I remember reading somewhere that the PCE has a lot ROM dumps that give certain emus a tough time. The emu itself booted right up & did recognize folders on the mem card. Will try a few different ROMS.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep y'all updated on Doom & PCE 0.7.

Eventually I'll get to Sega CD emulation & loading ROMS off HDD. Seems like another rabbit hole there :)

Yeah, I already beat TMNT Fall of the Footclan in the GB emu. Took me 20 years to finish that one :P

Also, I've always wanted to get back into game gear lately but the original hardware failure is a barrier. PSMS helps here (while also letting me get my Master System fix!). I just played a good bit of GG Vampire Master of Darkness. It ran rock solid. Again, controller & TV make a huge difference over a tiny aging LCD.

Just regarding the emus in general for any one curious: The save states in PGEN are very clean & reliable for Genesis/MD. Very impressed there. They seem a bit touchy in FCEU for NES games. Pay attention to the mapping. You can fill up a mem card quick, map to USB if possible but it doesnt seem to like this at times.