Overwatch (the thread of the game)

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Overwatch (the thread of the game)

Post by noiseredux »

btw, did anyone else get a physical copy? The box is really nice. And it came with a bunch of extras like DLC cards for WOW and SC2 trials, Jaina for Heroes Of The Storm (if anyone needs her, let me know...), a deck of Hearthstone cards, and even a pad of Blizzard Paper like the physical edition of HOTS did. It's nice.

They also sent me some kind of metalic poster thing w/ all the Overwatch characters. It's about the size of a license plate.

EDIT: And Destructoid's is the first post-release review I've seen... and they gave it a 10/10 :shock:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-over ... 2250.phtml
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

So yeah, I finished my Overwatch review. My views on the game didn't change much from my initial impression though I dug deeper and managed to put them into words. But basically:

- Same chasis as most post-Halo shooters.
- Characters are unimpressive stereotypes.
- Stun is an awful mechanic, why is it so common. Also, self-healing is sooo dull.
- Map design is awfully narrow.
- Still, it's very fun. I enjoyed it quite a bit!

You can read more here if you like:
Erik's Overwatch review

noiseredux wrote:EDIT: And Destructoid's is the first post-release review I've seen... and they gave it a 10/10 :shock:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-over ... 2250.phtml

You know, these kinds of reviews make me very uneasy because...well, they don't describe the game at all! The review is 13 paragraphs long and only one talks about the gameplay and not exactly in depth. And I just think "am I really that weird"? Am I really the weird one with the weird clickbait review? I fear I'm going to get ganged on any second now and really, I think I'm not that out of the line...

Am I? :cry:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

All I'm going to say is that there's a reason that the Man in Black rejects "the word of a Spaniard" due to knowing too many Spaniards.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

From my experience, enemies only have the red outline if the enemy scan ability has been used.

I disagree with the back and forth. While same games that were skill imbalanced were very one sided, the closer matched games had a lot of back and forth at checkpoints.

This game to me plays much different than most other shooters with the exception of TF2.

What do you mean by hitscan weapons?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

damn... this is only based on 4 reviews so far, so obviously it will change - but Overwatch has a 100 on Metacritic right now. It's gotten 'perfect' scores from Destructoid, Twinfinite (?), Game Informer and The Escapist so far.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Jmustang1968 wrote:What do you mean by hitscan weapons?

A hitscan weapon is a weapon in a video game(usually FPS) that performs a calculation based on whatever is in the targeting line of the weapon to automatically register damage to said target when fired. Basically it means there is no real projectile(or that projectile's speed approximates the speed of light), and the target is immediately hit. You pretty much hit the target immediately upon activating the weapon as opposed to having to lead a target if there were a real projectile moving at a specific speed which does not approach near-instantaneous.

Note that latency, additional calculations to create artificial inaccuracy, and graphical effects can give a weapon the appearance of having a projectile when in fact it is hitscan.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:What do you mean by hitscan weapons?

Note that latency, additional calculations to create artificial inaccuracy, and graphical effects can give a weapon the appearance of having a projectile when in fact it is hitscan.

The best example of this is the Shock Rifle from UT. It is a hitscan weapon; the second you hit fire the target will be hit or not. But the actual projectile that gets shown is noticeably slower than that.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Jmustang1968 wrote:From my experience, enemies only have the red outline if the enemy scan ability has been used.

Does it? It shows in all the screenshots I have. I actually checked and it shows on the vast majority of screenshots, though some publications took them with the disabled HUD so it doesn't show up in some.

I disagree with the back and forth. While same games that were skill imbalanced were very one sided, the closer matched games had a lot of back and forth at checkpoints.

More than back and forth, what I meant was a MOBA-like back in forth in which characters literally go back and forth until they "gank" someone and push while the enemy is down. It seems they were going for something like that but I'm not fond of it.

This game to me plays much different than most other shooters with the exception of TF2.

You know, I know I've been as guilty as anyone else of making this comparison but I think the TF2 comparisons are overblown. For me, TF2 is Quake. It's an area control game, with a very heavy emphasis on firefights and deathmatch. Overwatch takes a lot from TF2, but not its Quake heritage which to me defines it.

What do you mean by hitscan weapons?

I have this very strange habit of writing my articles addressing a general audience and then dropping these incredibly technical terms that only a few nerds know, sorry :lol:

Ack has posted the true, technical definition so it's hard to top that, but what I mean by that in my review is that the game is built on a "chasis" that assumes the default gun is an automatic rifle or similar gun, like Titanfall or Evolve. It's hard for me to explain why in detail, though.

Simply, if you think abot the weapons of Overwatch and their attributes, I think you'll see that the automatic rifle is the default" one. This gives the game a very different feel than games where shotguns or rocket launchers are considered the default like most old-school shooters.

noiseredux wrote:damn... this is only based on 4 reviews so far, so obviously it will change - but Overwatch has a 100 on Metacritic right now. It's gotten 'perfect' scores from Destructoid, Twinfinite (?), Game Informer and The Escapist so far.

Most reviews will be like that. The game is already in the canon and I think it will stay here for very long.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Erik_Twice wrote:Simply, if you think abot the weapons of Overwatch and their attributes, I think you'll see that the automatic rifle is the default" one. This gives the game a very different feel than games where shotguns or rocket launchers are considered the default like most old-school shooters.

Shotguns are also hitscan. Now, the difference between the shotgun and the rifle is the shotgun is bursty, like the aforementioned rocket launcher. You fire the shotgun, then have some downtime, then can fire it again. So while the damage over time against a stationary target would be the same as an assault rifle it comes in spikes. This means that missed shots are penalized more for the shotgun, just like with a rocket launcher. And if the game is designed around bursty weapons vs. constant weapons I can see that causing a different feel.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

fastbilly1 wrote:So why should I play this over Battleborn?

Battleborn is more like just a first person Dota-like, where Overwatch is much more like TF2 but with Dota-like abilities. I've heard they're both very fun, though I really want Overwatch. Gotta save up for it though. Just bought a thing and now gotta wait until the class I'm taking is over next month to buy another thing :/

But in case I wasn't clear though, I want Overwatch real real bad :I

*rant mode activate*
Also, something that makes me so mad just because of how people refuse to think, are all of the comparisons to TF2 on the grounds of pricepoint. All of these people saying that because TF2 is F2P, so should be Overwatch. All of these people who forget that TF2 wasn't originally free, and was basically made free to get people onto Steam, and this was after it already had a big install base.

I just get so angry when people complain about a multiplayer only game, no matter what it is, and decry a "lack of content" because that's what they've been told any game without a single player campaign is. Games that legitimately have a dirge of content, like Evolve and Battlefront, have sadly sullied the reputation of all multiplayer-only games recently, even those that have enough content/are compelling enough otherwise, like Rainbow 6 Siege and Overwatch. Is sad :/
*rant over*
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Tue May 24, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me