Level up here
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy VII remake announced

Post by BoringSupreez »

Sarge wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:FF VII > Chrono Trigger

That's crazy talk!

Different strokes and all that, though. I'm still waiting for a game to dethrone Chrono, at least as far as JRPGs go. A few have come close, but nothing is there for me yet. I did enjoy FFVII, I spent forever obsessing over the game, wanting to own it. I didn't have a PSX, so I was ecstatic when they announced the PC port. Sadly, my machine wasn't close to powerful enough, so I had to keep waiting until I did get a PSX one Christmas.

In a rare moment of tolerance I'll admit that FFVII > Chrono Trigger is a valid opinion, even if I feel the opposite. They can both be taken as the quintessential RPG of their generations.

A Chrono Trigger remake would probably make me crap my guts out in the sheer panic of realizing that my whole life is actually a dream.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Chrono Trigger is beautiful though, it is at the height of 2D gaming. I think a remake would just be weird. Granted, seeing the game handled by Level 5 in the style of DQ8 or something would be neat, but at that point I think I'd rather just have a new game.

FFVII was pretty much the polar opposite, it is far from the height of 3D gaming. I still think the pre rendered stuff holds up great, but everything else... well, I love it, but it is pretty ugly.

No surprise I'm sure, but I also prefer VII to Trigger. I like the dark, angsty stuff (Midgar was a DREAM when I played this as a kid, breathtaking), and I felt like I had more freedom as to what I did with my characters, even if the game did rarely require me to take advantage of it. Simple things like hunting Enemy Skills, finding obscure summons like Alexander, Typhoon, etc, and leveling Limit Breaks, just made the game feel much more unique back then. I would compare my game to my friends, and we would have completely different setups going on, whereas when we would share our CT experiences, they were almost always the same.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Chrono Trigger is beautiful though, it is at the height of 2D gaming. I think a remake would just be weird. Granted, seeing the game handled by Level 5 in the style of DQ8 or something would be neat, but at that point I think I'd rather just have a new game.

FFVII was pretty much the polar opposite, it is far from the height of 3D gaming. I still think the pre rendered stuff holds up great, but everything else... well, I love it, but it is pretty ugly.

No surprise I'm sure, but I also prefer VII to Trigger. I like the dark, angsty stuff (Midgar was a DREAM when I played this as a kid, breathtaking), and I felt like I had more freedom as to what I did with my characters, even if the game did rarely require me to take advantage of it. Simple things like hunting Enemy Skills, finding obscure summons like Alexander, Typhoon, etc, and leveling Limit Breaks, just made the game feel much more unique back then. I would compare my game to my friends, and we would have completely different setups going on, whereas when we would share our CT experiences, they were almost always the same.

I can see what you're saying... I've always preferred a structured story myself, I suppose. I always wonder when playing games with flexible storylines if I'm playing the game the best way possible or if I'm missing out on a bunch of good content. When the path is fixed, I know I'm getting the full experience.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Oddly, I do feel the same way you do when it comes to story. But, when it comes to combat mechanics, that is where I like some flexibility. I think this is why I like FF so much, compared to both extremes like CT, or TES. It hits this perfect middle ground for me.

Probably why I replay them so much. "Hmm, what would FFVIII be like if I just use Quistis at low health and limit for the whole game? (Even easier than playing it normally!) What would happen if I try FFX and just never level on the sphere grid? (Don't have the balls to try yet). What is FFIX like if I try to get to and beat Ozma at level 1? (Surprisingly sublime, every fan of FFIX should try this sometime. Feels like the game was designed with this in mind, honestly.)

The games are shockingly flexible, you can do almost anything you could imagine if you set your mind to it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

casterofdreams wrote:Word on the street is that it'll come to the Xbox One and PC.

I have no doubt it will come to PC. Two years ago the only FF games on Steam were VII and XI. Now we've got III, IV, After Years, VIII, XIII, XIII-2, XIV, and both Type-0 and Lightning Returns have been announced. I think it's fair to say that Square sees the value in bringing the series as a whole to PC.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I think my biggest problem with a Final Fantasy VII remake is that it's going to be Square Enix doing the work. I simply don't trust that company to produce anything worthwhile anymore.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah if this were a Level-5 game on 3DS I'd be thrilled..... but as it stands now, nah.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

About FUCKING TIME. I've been waiting the longest time for this.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

Thank god: http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/final-f ... ty-remake/

Just give us better graphics and fix the translation. Please. You can fix the item exploit if you want, but don't mess with anything else.

I've seen a lot of people asking them to change the games mechanics, but in my opinion that wouldn't be a faithful remake then. Keep the turn based combat, keep the random encounters, keep the fixed camera and beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds, and for god sake North America (and Europe) better get a physical release.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Combat was not turn based. Final Fantasy I-III had turn based combat, along with Final Fantasy X. IV-IX was the real time combat where everyone had cooldowns.

But I agree, keep the ATB menu-based combat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.