GameDudeMat's Video Thread

Post game-related video clips here
Flake

Re: Gran Turismo 2 PSX vs DC

Post by Flake »

I want to know more about the bleemcast as well. Does it allow you to save progress on the vmu?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Flake wrote:I want to know more about the bleemcast as well. Does it allow you to save progress on the vmu?

Yes it does. But if I recal correct, the save file will take up the entire VMU/MU :?
Flake

Post by Flake »

Does the Dreamcast efficiently read the data from the GT2 disc or is it going be grinding constantly? I remember one of the big failings of the machines of that era (especially the Dreamcast and PSX) was the tendency of the laser to over work its tracks while spooling data if the data was not organized efficiently.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

CD AGES wrote:
Flake wrote:I want to know more about the bleemcast as well. Does it allow you to save progress on the vmu?

Yes it does. But if I recal correct, the save file will take up the entire VMU/MU :?

This is correct, which was really lame if you only had one Bleemcast game (the other two being Metal Gear Solid and Tekken 3.) You basically had to format the VMU to Bleemcast format, but then could use it for all 3 Bleemcast games.

Not a big deal today when you can get a spare VMU off ebay for $5, but back in the day that was a lot of money to dedicate to just one game save.
NoFaceNico

Post by NoFaceNico »

Also, one obvious correction about something said in the video- It's not GT2 that the Dreamcast is emulating, it emulates a PS1. Think about it, it requires that you own the actual GT2 game.

Funny fact- Sony sued Bleemcast into the ground and after that was done, they hired the guy who coded most of the Bleem emulation to help create the PS1 emulation software in the PS2!
gamedudemat
16-bit

Post by gamedudemat »

NoFaceNico wrote:Pretty good review!

I'm a huge fan of the series. I feel GT2 is the best, just because it includes some cars I really like that didn't get into other installments. Plus a whole lot of nostalgia. I played through the game, winning all the races on the PS1, then did it all over again on the Dreamcast.

I think the hardcore fans also like GT2 since it has courses like Pikes Peak which didn't come back in later games because that course doesn't exist anymore. Yay ultra realism! If it doesn't exist anymore, it doesn't appear in later games!

Nice to see a racing game get covered. I've done a few and as you can tell, I really love the genera but from what I've seen it's very hard to pull in viewers with them. They get the lowest view counts of all my videos, which makes me very reluctant to do more of them.

Other thoughts:
-is this in standard definition? Sorry to be a snob but these days if a video isn't in HD it really stands out and is very distracting.
-Careful with the licensed music, you don't want the copyright bots to get you.

Yes it is in standard definition, I need to get a PVR ASAP (recording footage to DVD's) All I can say is if you like making racing game videos Be like Nike and Just Do It! lol. Yeah Copyright bots suck! Surprisingly most of the music actually comes from GT1! That game has a killer soundtrack!
gamedudemat
16-bit

Post by gamedudemat »

CD AGES wrote:

Sorry for not getting back... but yes He's right it will take up the whole VMU.
gamedudemat
16-bit

Post by gamedudemat »

Flake wrote:Does the Dreamcast efficiently read the data from the GT2 disc or is it going be grinding constantly? I remember one of the big failings of the machines of that era (especially the Dreamcast and PSX) was the tendency of the laser to over work its tracks while spooling data if the data was not organized efficiently.

I haven't noticed that so far, in fact it seems like much of the psx game gets copied to the system ram. I say this because the disc didn't spin a whole lot.
gamedudemat
16-bit

Post by gamedudemat »

NoFaceNico wrote:Also, one obvious correction about something said in the video- It's not GT2 that the Dreamcast is emulating, it emulates a PS1. Think about it, it requires that you own the actual GT2 game.

Funny fact- Sony sued Bleemcast into the ground and after that was done, they hired the guy who coded most of the Bleem emulation to help create the PS1 emulation software in the PS2!

That's hilarious! And yet the emulation looked better still on the Dreamcast! lol
gamedudemat
16-bit

Overlooked games (Caliber.50 SEGA Genesis)

Post by gamedudemat »

Taking a quick look at a Sega Genesis game that I wasn't expecting much out of. But it's actually pretty good! Especially with the right controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219CZFGsSOY
Attachments
bullet cool racketboy post.jpg
bullet cool racketboy post.jpg (250.73 KiB) Viewed 1362 times