Game vs Game, It's back! -- Now Playing: Episode 1 Racer

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Game vs Game - Wonder Boy vs Adventure Island

Post by Gunstar Green »

Monster World 4 is an amazing platformer. Great animation, detailed graphics and adorable story and characters. It's such a highly polished package.

I'm glad it finally came out, fully translated in digital form but it's criminal we didn't get it back in the day.
GryeDor
64-bit

Re: Game vs Game - Aladdin

Post by GryeDor »

New episode is live... this time, Aladdin! Classics in the 16-bit libraries clash, and bring along their little brother, Aladdin on the Master System.

Enjoy!

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Regardless of where you sit on this one I think the Genesis version is probably more significant historically.

I didn't know people considered the SNES game "bad." It's a solid platformer. I also didn't realize it had a GBA release. Good stuff as always.
GryeDor
64-bit

Post by GryeDor »

Gunstar Green wrote:Regardless of where you sit on this one I think the Genesis version is probably more significant historically.

I didn't know people considered the SNES game "bad." It's a solid platformer. I also didn't realize it had a GBA release. Good stuff as always.

yeah i'd definitely agree with you on that, the historical significance definitely sits with the genny on this one. and that's just my sense of things scouring the web researching the general vibe i got was, "genesis was cool, never tried the snes but heard it sucked" (even heard something similar from my brother). and in the back of my head was always the irate gamer's go at it, so i wanted to clear the air a bit in a way.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

The SNES one isn't seen as bad, it's just illegitimately dumped on because of the Genesis game since Disney animators worked on the visuals while Capcom did their own work on the SNES title. I've played out both (though the Gen one was done on PC as they're the same) and I prefer the SNES game in style and design a lot more, but despite the shortcomings of the Genesis I prefer the visuals on there as they're hand drawn and more fluid.
GryeDor
64-bit

Post by GryeDor »

Tanooki wrote:The SNES one isn't seen as bad, it's just illegitimately dumped on because of the Genesis game since Disney animators worked on the visuals while Capcom did their own work on the SNES title.

honestly that was my other thought as well - it's not what the genesis offered so it's shit. not cool.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

GryeDor wrote:
Tanooki wrote:The SNES one isn't seen as bad, it's just illegitimately dumped on because of the Genesis game since Disney animators worked on the visuals while Capcom did their own work on the SNES title.

honestly that was my other thought as well - it's not what the genesis offered so it's shit. not cool.

Sunset Riders is another example where I think a lot of people unfairly dump on the less-favored version. Castlevania Bloodlines used to be this to Castlevania IV and to some extent it still is but I think more people are coming around to Bloodlines in recent years and enjoying it on its own merits as a Castlevania game and not as competition against IV.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Which version of Sunset Riders is dumped on? I'd hope the Genesis one. :P

Seriously though I think a lot of games that the SNES had the Genesis game ended up being dumped on as long as the makers didn't do a halfass port starting with Sega, but in the case where it was a lazy port the Genesis was on top. Sometimes it was just fanboy wrath as well such as TMNT4 vs Hyperstone. Games likes Mickey Mania and Boogerman were not that good on the SNES as they're touched up Genesis ports with minimal effort so they look shoddy up against a SNES made for game even if they still work fine.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's actually pretty funny that you did Aladdin because I was just thinking about it the other day.

Back when, I had a SNES. I didn't get a Genesis until the Genesis 3 came out. So, I only ever played Aladdin for the SNES. When I finally got a Genesis, some one suggested that I picked up Aladdin for it, so I did. I had no idea that it was a completely different game. I played the first level or two and then said, "The hell with this" and didn't give it the time of day. I shelved it and forgot about it. But a few days ago I was thinking about it, how I never played it. I'm gonna have to bump it up toward the top of my mental list of games to be played.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

As always, a great, impressive and solid review worth watching.

Insightful, knowledgeable, all around super. Why and how you aren't getting more hits baffles me as you are by far my favorite video game reviewer.

Near perfect (be sure to button all of your shirt buttons).

Great job kind sir.