SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Ack

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by Ack »

s1rweeze wrote:Monday, December 2, 2013 - Secret of Evermore

Already have negative karma on reddit for this one :lol:

Eh, don't worry. You should hear about some of the crap a few of us here have put up with over our articles.

Anyway, as for the game, I agree with you on some important points, such as the shoddy hit detection, though I also would like to point out that the game feels entirely aimless overall for large portions of it, and even when you do receive direction as to what to do next, you rarely actually receive directions on where to go to accomplish this task.

My biggest disagreement with you is over the music, but I'm actually a fan of the ambient soundtrack, so I suppose it is just a difference of taste. I never cared for some of the sound effects, though I think the squish effect works well with the bloody explosion that occurs with it. I always figured the game was trying to be goofy and just not succeeding that well.

Overall, I'm glad you were honest with your criticism, and even if I don't entirely agree, I can definitely see where it comes from. I'm glad you didn't compromise your opinion in the face of potential viewer rage.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:

Eh, don't worry. You should hear about some of the crap a few of us here have put up with over our articles.

"You're not allowed to not like something! How dare you!" :lol:

Ack wrote:Anyway, as for the game, I agree with you on some important points, such as the shoddy hit detection, though I also would like to point out that the game feels entirely aimless overall for large portions of it, and even when you do receive direction as to what to do next, you rarely actually receive directions on where to go to accomplish this task.

My biggest disagreement with you is over the music, but I'm actually a fan of the ambient soundtrack, so I suppose it is just a difference of taste. I never cared for some of the sound effects, though I think the squish effect works well with the bloody explosion that occurs with it. I always figured the game was trying to be goofy and just not succeeding that well.

Overall, I'm glad you were honest with your criticism, and even if I don't entirely agree, I can definitely see where it comes from. I'm glad you didn't compromise your opinion in the face of potential viewer rage.

Thanks for watching! To be fair, I love the Ebon Keep and Ivor Tower themes and listen to them on their own every once in a while.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Monday, December 9, 2013 - Cybernator
Ack

Post by Ack »

s1rweeze wrote:Monday, December 9, 2013 - Cybernator

I also adore Cybernator but agree that the story presentation isn't particularly handled well. That said, considering it's part of a series that spans 5 games, I don't mind that there is a story, though I realize that the US version is likely butchered.

Anyway, do you do requests?
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:
s1rweeze wrote:Monday, December 9, 2013 - Cybernator

I also adore Cybernator but agree that the story presentation isn't particularly handled well. That said, considering it's part of a series that spans 5 games, I don't mind that there is a story, though I realize that the US version is likely butchered.

Anyway, do you do requests?

Sure! What did you have in mind?
Ack

Post by Ack »

I would like you to hear your thoughts on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition. I think it's a fighting game that doesn't get the attention it deserves due to the property, though it has some issues which do detract from it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Good vid.

I agree with the points made, though I find it to be a great game in spite of its flaws.

The most annoying aspects to me are actually things you didn't touch on in the video - the dungeon designs and that stupid marketplace.

Anyhow, there's another "Secret" on the SNES that's much, much worse than Evermore...

SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:I would like you to hear your thoughts on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition. I think it's a fighting game that doesn't get the attention it deserves due to the property, though it has some issues which do detract from it.

I agree with you, it's a surprisingly good fighting game but so many people (in my experience anyway) dismiss it entirely because of the whole Power Rangers thing. That's a great idea for a video, thanks for bringing that up
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Good vid.

I agree with the points made, though I find it to be a great game in spite of its flaws.

The most annoying aspects to me are actually things you didn't touch on in the video - the dungeon designs and that stupid marketplace.

Thanks for watching! I really appreciate it. Oh man, good call on the marketplace and the absurdly convoluted trading system. That and the annoying "crowd ambiance" the soundtrack tried to go for.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Anyhow, there's another "Secret" on the SNES that's much, much worse than Evermore...

:lol: I'd like to do a video on that game eventually. Why did Tecmo of all developers try an RPG while places like Konami and Sunsoft never gave it a go?
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:I would like you to hear your thoughts on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition. I think it's a fighting game that doesn't get the attention it deserves due to the property, though it has some issues which do detract from it.

Just FYI, I hope to be able to get to this after the holiday. Really enjoying it so far, very satisfying game to play. I've never seen an episode of Power Rangers in any incarnation either.
Last edited by SNESdrunk on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.