Gonna dive into Neo Geo AES collecting. Talk me down?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
indecks
Next-Gen

Re: Gonna dive into Neo Geo AES collecting. Talk me down?

Post by indecks »

Thread is TL:DR for me since I haven't had coffee, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Don't.

If you have a nice stock of MVS carts, instead of spending the money on a console (if you dont have one already, that is) and then 'collecting' games for the AES - get yourself a consolized MVS board. If you want a really nice one, get the one by Christoph. Throw one of Raz's UniBIOS in there and set it to AES mode. There, you're done.

I see the aesthetic reason for collecting AES. I've had several AES consoles over the years. I mean like 7 or 8 by now. I'd get one in a trade, find one at a Flea Market, bought one off of a guy on Zophar's forums (my first one actually) etc. The AES is definitely a badge of honor. And it's great to see a bookshelf stocked with those huge monster carts. If you're ok with sticking with the lower end carts, you'll be fine. But if you are trying to 'collect', and want original Garou, Slug 1, Matrimelee, Legend of Success Joe carts, then you're gonna be spending $600-infinity for AES carts when you can get the same game for pennies on the dollar on MVS.

I think I saw someone mention "gamer collector" in here (again, no coffee) but that's what I am. Just like with my other modest collections (transformers, comics) I collect what is important to me. I have about 30 MVS carts, and they are all games that I wanted. I say be a gamer collector. If you _must_ get an AES, get one so's you can get those 5 to 10 carts you always wanted to play on a Neo Geo home system. Get yourself a memory card. Get two OG sticks.

But once you've got those, stick with a consolized/arcade MVS and buy all of the 'r4r3' carts for under $100. It's a lot less headache, and like someone mentioned, boots are easy to spot.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I know they make 100 in 1 multicarts for the mvs but do they make a multicart for the aes? Thats the only way i would ever think about owning an aes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

indecks wrote:Thread is TL:DR for me since I haven't had coffee, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Don't.

If you have a nice stock of MVS carts, instead of spending the money on a console (if you dont have one already, that is) and then 'collecting' games for the AES - get yourself a consolized MVS board. If you want a really nice one, get the one by Christoph. Throw one of Raz's UniBIOS in there and set it to AES mode. There, you're done.

I see the aesthetic reason for collecting AES. I've had several AES consoles over the years. I mean like 7 or 8 by now. I'd get one in a trade, find one at a Flea Market, bought one off of a guy on Zophar's forums (my first one actually) etc. The AES is definitely a badge of honor. And it's great to see a bookshelf stocked with those huge monster carts. If you're ok with sticking with the lower end carts, you'll be fine. But if you are trying to 'collect', and want original Garou, Slug 1, Matrimelee, Legend of Success Joe carts, then you're gonna be spending $600-infinity for AES carts when you can get the same game for pennies on the dollar on MVS.

I think I saw someone mention "gamer collector" in here (again, no coffee) but that's what I am. Just like with my other modest collections (transformers, comics) I collect what is important to me. I have about 30 MVS carts, and they are all games that I wanted. I say be a gamer collector. If you _must_ get an AES, get one so's you can get those 5 to 10 carts you always wanted to play on a Neo Geo home system. Get yourself a memory card. Get two OG sticks.

But once you've got those, stick with a consolized/arcade MVS and buy all of the 'r4r3' carts for under $100. It's a lot less headache, and like someone mentioned, boots are easy to spot.

Mike has a oneofakind cmvs from christoph already.
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

ninjainspandex wrote:I know they make 100 in 1 multicarts for the mvs but do they make a multicart for the aes? Thats the only way i would ever think about owning an aes.

Someone makes one, yeah. I can't remember the amount of games in it, but it's clearly unofficial - and still sold by Shawn at the NeoStore for like $700.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Shawn sells the 161-1 AES homecart w/snapbox and art for just over $600.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

AppleQueso wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:I don't know a single thing about Neo Geo hardware but this thread has been an interesting read.

What's the difference between AES and MVS?

AES is the home console, MVS is the arcade hardware.

CMVS (or Consolized MVS) is the arcade hardware modified to interface with controllers and a TV.

Also worth noting that there are convertors that allow you to play MVS games on the AES. If I ever get into playing/collecting MVS carts this is what I'll probably do, I can't see myself dropping the cash for a CMVS.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I'd probably just get an MVS cabinet over anything else.

EDIT: "AES cabinet?" really?
Last edited by AppleQueso on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Who knows, once (and if) we get the firmware update and some more physical games, the Neo Geo X might be a nice alternative to all this stuff.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I wonder what this thread would look like if it were posted on NG :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Friendly accommodating folks would come flocking to the thread offering great advice.